“Great location, friendly staff but unit was like staying in a Native American sweat lodge !!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Thunder Lodge

You added Mountain Thunder Lodge to your Saves list
Mountain Thunder Lodge
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   50 Mountain Thunder Drive, PO Box 8269, Breckenridge, CO 80124   |
Special Offer
Book now and save 30%
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Breckenridge
Ocean City, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The resort is in a great location. Walking distance to the gondola or town but shuttles always available if you don't want to walk. It was nice to be able to ski back to the room.

We reserved a 2 bedroom condo. The room was somewhat dated. Not enough drawers in the bedrooms instead there sat big armoires that once held big tvs. The tvs had been replaced with flat screens placed on top of the units. The old armoires stand in every room. These armoires should be replaced with furniture that had more drawers. The closets were small and cluttered with the condos storage. Closets should have been emptied of storage items. It housed Old pictures, equipment, boxes ect. Barely enough room to hold the luggage that were nested inside each other to fit. Closet fit one large bag in it comfortably. The bags could not fit under Beds as the beds were to low to the ground to slide luggage underneath. The 2 small closets were the only option to store luggage.
Only 3 drawers in the armoire were in each bedroom. We were on a week long ski vacation with 3 kids and 2 adults . We had a lot of stuff with use. 6 drawers were not NOT nearly enough space for all our winter clothing .

Also housekeeping seemed to come every other day and not always a full clean. Wished they did a full clean every day. Not sure if that's the policy.

Controlling the heat was miserable and impossible!!! The 1st two days we set the heat on the lowest setting and it was like a sauna. We then turned it off completely for the entire time. I'm not sure if it was because we were in the main building but it always felt like it was in the 90's .. Horribly hot! We would ski for the day and come back to condo to find an uncomfortable hotbox. It was like walking into a sweat lodge. We would need to open the balcony door and all the widows for about 15-20 minutes to cool it off. The condo was very well insulated from outside noise if the balcony door and windows were shut, however this was not possible. It was so hot in the unit we were forced to leave windows open every night which lead to very noisy evenings. We had the heat off and it was unbelievably hot!! NEVER felt anything like this!!

As we were skiing everyday and with small children we would have the kids in bed by 9pm. I realize this is early but kids need sleep. Noise wouldn't have been a problem if I could have shut the windows. The children were awakened almost every night at midnight 1 am or 2am by people walking and laughing outside.
Please note the laughing people didn't do anything wrong. If I didn't have 3 small children I would have been right there with them probably laughing the loudest at 2am but alias I was spending my nights trying to rock an overtired cranky 2 1/2 yr old back to sleep.

I think this property could be excellent if they updated the furniture and fixed the heating issue. They have the location and a wonderful friendly helpful staff they just need to make a few tweaks. If I knew they fixed the heating issues and added some drawers I would stay there again in a heartbeat. If not, I would try another location when traveling with children.

Hope this helps!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We took a family 5 there including 3 girls under 14. Overall I'd say it was "good". Not sure I'd stay there again but I MIGHT. The rooms were spacious....we had two bedrooms in the min lodge with a kitchen efficiency. First thing to know....we were on the 4th floor and our space stayed "smoking hot". No central air so we left the patio door and windows open all the time. This kept s cold a lot....but it was better than burning up.

Staff is amazing. They were highly responsive. 110%!

The shuttle was good, although we were left twice in situations where we called the shuttle and they no showed. I understand its possibly an isolated situation. But that was our experience.

I liked the ski in. I wish getting to a ski lift was easier. The shuttle to the gondola with kids is not easy....but we knew that. You can't really walk it with kids.

The hot tub and pools were great. Kids loved them.

Housekeeping was "sporadic". And we struggled with dirty towels and left wondering what their schedule was. I'd say the housekeeping was below average.

Overall.....I'd go again....but I wasn't won over to it being a return visit.

But not a waste either.

Room Tip: The Lowe the floor the less likely the rising heat will keep your room hot.
Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have been meaning to write a review of Mountain Thunder Lodge after I had such an amazing experience there last September. I booked my family last minute for 3 nights. i wasn't sure what to expect. From the moment we drove up, we were in awe. The staff and property is breath taking. We had a 2 bedroom that was huge, clean and comfortable. I have traveled many places, but this was by far the best. I will be returning very soon. HIGHLY recommend. You can't beat the location. It's just a short walk into town. My husband found the best Cigar and novelties shop right down the street called Slopeside Cigars. We bought back some of the most unique gifts and my husband enjoyed fresh Cigars on our patio in the evening. Great place!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We booked this place because of high reviews and it didn't disappoint. It is the perfect location if you want easy access to gondola AND Main Street. The shuttle service picked us up within minutes and were always very friendly. We stayed in the townhomes which were great accommodations. Only disappointment was that our view could have been better- it was mostly of the other townhomes and garage. I would definitely read up on altitude sickness before you go to Breckenridge. We had 4 adults and 3 kids and all of us experienced trouble sleeping, headaches and queasiness. 2 of our kids were severely ill for most of the trip!

Saratoga Springs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We spent 2 nights in a one bedroom suite. Booking was easy and very helpful. They got me my rental car and lift tickets as well. When we arrived early, they were able to accommodate us immediately and we got in a full day on the slopes. The room was large, comfortable and quiet. On site staff provided excellent service. We would book here again! Two small problems, the rooms are hot with no ability to control temperature except to open window. The sofa bed was un-sleepable. They were able to give us an extra mattress.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Awesome. Large apartment-style rooms. Full kitchen with all cooking equipment. Free use of communal washers/dryers. Convenient location close to town and BreckConnect gondola. No A/C which shouldn’t usually be an issue, but we happened to visit during record-breaking high temperatures (in June). Only a short walk to the centre of town. One downside is that there is a mandatory resort fee.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis/St. Paul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We spent 3 nights at the Mountain Thunder Lodge in February 2013. We had a one bedroom condo right at the base of Peak 8. From the moment we checked in, the service and quality surpassed our expectations. The room itself was spacious, modern, cozy and clean. The bathroom was huge and the kitchen, living room and fireplace felt very cozy and the decor fit the mountain theme perfectly. We had a fantastic view of the mountain and we were put in a corner unit, giving us a wrap around balcony that gave us great views in two directions.

We used the hot tub each day after skiing and they were great! The hot tub closest to the main lodge reception desk was hardly in use and much of the time we had it to ourselves. One of the best features of this resort is the shuttle transportation. You never had to wait for a shuttle and they were available 24/7. We used them to get to the gondola, to the village and restaurants. So convenient and the drivers very nice. We also had underground heated parking which was a plus.

I can't say enough about the staff and the conditions of the resort. I had somewhat high expectations given some disappointment we experienced at a different ski resort last year and this place exceeded my hopes. The price was very competitive and to ski in right to our condo was really nice at the end of the day. Note that from our location it is not a ski out. You do need to shuttle to one of the lifts or gondola to get started. However, the ski in made the final run of the day very convenient and relaxing. We came back to the condo for lunch on both days and enjoyed snacks and wine by the fire. The shuttles were so quick, we were back on the slopes in no time.

You can easily walk to town (maybe 2-3 blocks) and everything is very accessible. We would definitely recommend this resort to friends and family and will stay here again if we return to Breckenridge for another ski trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mountain Thunder Lodge? Share your experiences!