“Loved It!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Thunder Lodge

Save Saved
You added Mountain Thunder Lodge to your Saves list
Mountain Thunder Lodge
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   50 Mountain Thunder Drive, PO Box 8269, Breckenridge, CO 80124   |
Special Offer
Book now and save 30%
Ranked #1 of 23 hotels in Breckenridge
Mammoth Lakes, California
“Loved It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This was our first trip to Breckenridge. Everything about Mountain Thunder Lodge was top notch!
The manager, Jonathon Fillman, was very accommodating and professional. The front desk staff were extremely helpful, and the shuttle service was immediate with every driver courteous and at your service. We were very impressed! Thank you.

370 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We are a family of 4 with 2 teens (1 boy and 1 girl). We rented a 2 bedroom condo and asked for a 2nd bedroom with 2 twins (I was told by reservations that 60% of the 2 bedroom condos had 2 king beds while 40% had 1 king and 2 twins). While checking in I was told that there is only 1 condo in all of Mountain Thunder like that. If that's what you need you'll want to ask for room 5301. That has a king in one bedroom and 2 twins in the other. It is very spacious. The condo is near the elevator but you can't hear it, it's 2 doors away from the laundry room but it's quiet. The area was very quiet and we stayed over a weekend. 5301 was in building 5. The location of the room couldn't have been better.

Pros of Mountain Thunder Lodge::
- The shuttle- USE IT! You call a number and they pick you up in front of the building and take you wherever you want to go. Call again and they'll pick you up. They come right away. We never waited more than 3-5 minutes.
- The laundry facilities are FREE. No need for quarters unless you need to buy Tide or Clorox 2.
- You can walk to the Gondola if you want. It's not far but I'd take the shuttle especially if you have kids.
- The front desk people were awesome. Bobby did a great job and was very kind.
- The grocery store (City Market) is diagonal from the lodge. It takes just a couple of minutes to get there.
- Underground, heated parking!
- Coffee supplies including Starbucks in it's own filter, sugar/sugar substitute
- Hot tubs and outdoor heated pool
- Cleaning people put away the dishes and ran the dishwasher each day.

Cons:
- No kitchen towels. I called the front desk to ask for towels but for some reason they said there weren't any. I didn't understand this and no one really explained to me if it was our condo or if it was the entire building.
- The toilet ran but the maintenance guy came right away and tried to fix it but he said he needed to change out the toilet and we never saw him again. We had to turn off the water to the toilet at night because it kept us up.

Overall this place was great. Beds were comfy, customer service was excellent. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a 2 bedroom condo with one king and 2 twins, ask for room 5301.
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Upon arriving our room appeared to be tidy and clean except for behind the bathroom door which was dusty with hairs on the floor. The bathroom counter also had a few stray hairs. I promptly wiped the counter clean. There was also a few bits of cereal under one of the legs of the couch where the vacuum couldn't reach. Everything else was clean and fresh. I know I'm being picky but it was what it was. I'm giving it a 4 because it was still cleaner than average. The staff always had our room clean with new towels, dishes clean in the dishwasher and the bed made. The gas fireplace was also a nice feature. The room was quiet with the exception of Friday evening (which you would expect) but was quiet by 10:30. There was also a humidifier in the closet which helps with the dry Breckinridge air.

There are 4 hot tubs on site. 2 are around the pool and the other 2 are towards the back of the property. We visited three during our stay. The first on the upper side of the pool was not hot and needed to be cleaned. The other tub near the pool was hot but had sand in the bottom. The third tub was towards the back was the cleanest and hottest of the bunch.

The location is good but not great. It's a 5 min walk to the breck connect gondola which is across the street with pedestrian access via an underground walkway (lots of steps). I recommend using the free shuttle and have it take you to the beaver run lift. The ski in however is fantastic and what you would expect. On Tuesday evening we got a call from the front desk staff asking us if we wanted first tracks at no extra charge! We jumped at the chance to get on the slopes an hour before the general public and carve up some fresh powder. It was definitely our best day in breck!

• Stayed January 2013
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This place is amazing. We went with our 13 and 11 year old kids, and they each brought a friend. We had a 2 bedroom condo that was well equipped, ski in and the Gondola was just across the road a bit. The outdoor pool, which I was leery about, was a huge hit with the kids. It was fun to sit in the hot tub while the powder snow frosted our hair. We were also able to use the indoor pool at One Ski Hill place. The staff was amazing and the girl at the front desk was born for her position. I wish I remembered her name! It would be nice if there was a lounge or food on site. (I was our cook.) I dreaded going somewhere cold for break- I'm an ocean girl, and i will not hesitate to plan another trip here in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This place was awesome. We got the one bedroom condo and it was perfect. We have a 3 and 6 year old who got the hide a bed and my husband and I had the bedroom. Full kitchen was great and on premise free laundry was awesome. So close to skiing. We entertained friends the place was so big. We had 10 at one point for pizza and still wasn't cramped. We used the bowling alley at the sister property and had a blast. Pool and hot tub was awesome. We were in building 5 and used underground parking. The only thing someone wrote that I would agree is the temp in the room. I just cracked the window and patio door so it wasn't bad, but it did get warm. We had enough snow for ski in so that was great.

Room Tip: I liked building 5
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The lodge, accommodations, location and scenery were fantastic for my son and I on our first trip to Breckenridge. What truly was exceptional was the staff at Mountain Thunder. My son and I had gone to say goodbye to my husband who had died earlier in the fall. John, my husband, had been cremated and had wanted to rest in the mountains with all of nature surrounding him. The General Manager of the Lodge, Jonathan, found out about what we were there for and offered his help. He took time away from his day to drive me to the most incredible location to lay my husband to rest. It was the most incredible act of kindness I've ever experienced. Nothing in my 52 years has touched me more from the kindness Jonathan showed. We showed up at Mountain Thunder not knowing a soul but left with what I consider a friend for life....Thank you Jonathan!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

My husband and 2 kids stayed here Dec 21-25 and loved it! Great location (although because there wasn't enough snow yet, we could not ski-in, which is one of the reasons we chose it), speedy check-in, ample parking, very friendly and helpful front desk and housekeeping staff, clean, quiet, spacious rooms with decently packed kitchen (we cooked every night), fantastic shuttle service that we took daily to and from gondola, and to town (just give tip, no parking hassle), dependable wifi, very close to City Market grocery store, and hottubs that my kids enjoyed! We will definitely come back!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mountain Thunder Lodge? Share your experiences!