“Second summer stay, planning a third” 4 of 5 stars

You added Powderhorn Condominiums to your Saves list
Powderhorn Condominiums
2.5 of 5 Condominium   |   755 Columbine Rd, Breckenridge, CO 80424   |
Austin, Texas
“Second summer stay, planning a third”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We love the location, because the Blue River is out the back door, where the kids (and the parents) love to wade in the cold water. And it's only a 5 to 10 minute walk to the shops and restaurants at the north end of town - and it's a beautiful walk along the Blue River and over the bridge at Maggie's Pond. Our condo was huge, with two living room spaces, a good kitchen, and plenty of room for the 8 of us, with two beds to spare.

It's not a new or newly renovated condo, but it is well maintained and clean. Just be sure to compare, as every condo is a little different. Some are more updated than others, so just spend time hunting for the right one.

If your plan is for a winter stay, there is a great entry hall with a bench and plenty of room to hang coats and stash boots and gloves, etc. And is only a 5 minute walk to lift at the base of Peak 8 (I think).

Room Tip: Be sure to compare, as every condo is a little different. Some are more updated than others, so jus...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Littleton, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Although the initial smell of the condo is a bit gamey, most condos in ski towns are due to the amount of wet snow brought in to the carpets over the season. Powderhorn is a great looking place from the inside and a bit dated from the outside. The late check in (4PM) is also a bit off putting for those only staying one night. If we stay here again it will be for a longer time frame.

Kitchen: fully furnished with updated appliances and every utensil needed to accomplish any meal.

Bathrooms: nicely upgraded finishes, but bring your own soap and shampoo. The little bar they have is all...no shampoo at all.

Beds: Beds are OK, but Pillows SUCK! Absolutely no cushion. If I returned, I would have to bring my own pillow. Worst pillows I have ever seen in a rental.

Noise: Walls are not paper thin, but the house party above us would wake the dead regardless of sound proofing anyway. Trouble is, no front desk means that if we wanted to ask the people upstairs to keep it down at 11PM at night because they are making my 7 and 4 year olds wake up, then I would have to bang on the ceiling or go up and confront them. Not going to confront a house full of partying drunkards so we had to just tough it out. The sound slowed down around 12:30. Front desk service would have really helped potentially diffuse the situation.

Overall, we really like the facility and aside from the neighbors, would return for a longer stay.

• Stayed August 2013
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I had booked at Powderhorn on my usual basis - that reviews are generally good with no systematic poor or terrible reviews. Afterwards there was the review about a condo having been smoked in and that would have been a gripe for me too and although a little concerned thought that would not be a general problem and our condo was just terrific. Very comfortable and handy with great wifi for apre-ski keeping up with folks back home. We were in the A202 condo (as I recall) and that meant it was right on the corner next to the elevator and just above the outside parking area. Handy but the drawback was that on most of the Thursday and Friday evenings as folks arrived around 11pm or later in an excited state the old motel style of entrance (outside passage ways right outside our bedroom windows) meant that we would be woken by the new arrivals yelling and shouting back and forth between the car lot and people outside our windows, as they brought stuff up into the condos next to us, on one night for a couple of hours and on another for about 45mins. However there was very little inter-unit noise so overall we were pretty happy. But for that I'd make this a 5.

The only other thing to be aware of is that the hot-tub/pool/fitness area is across the road, a facility shared with a number of condo complexes. I didn't see this as a negative because they can be a source of noise so having it at a distance was a plus and it was just a couple of minutes, close enough to walk still damp from the hot-tub in shorts and a T in January and not cool down.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Parker, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

VERY BEAUTIFUL UNIT AND VERY CLEAN, JUST LIKE HOME!!!
The large picture window needs help, can't see very well out of it and thats the whole point of having great views on a getaway!! The master bed is very firm foam,almost a bit too firm. A few large cracks in the ceilings otherwise decorated very nice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lees Summit Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

OK well I read the other reviews on Powderhorn and our experience was NOT the same. It was a very nice very clean condo; granite countertops, 2 full bathrooms, 2 bedrooms, very well stocked kitchenware. We stayed in C202 and we saw nothing but cleanliness and comfort. I am a picky NON smoker and I had NO issues with our rental. I assure you if I did, I would have complained and would give a justified review. The condo had a pleasant view of trees and a small balcony to enjoy coffee, and there is a small stream on the property you can hardly see from our rental, but there is a walking path that goes between the buildings. The general area is VERY built-up with several different condo buildings. Three large flat screen tvs with several cable channels were there. Our stay was clean, comfortable, and convenient for our summer trip to Breckenridge. The only small complaints I had were two things: one, the king sized bed in the master was so soft that it was not comfortable for me but I like a really hard mattress; second, there was no hair dryer in the condo so we had to go purchase one, and that was not convenient. Otherwise I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Not all condos are created equal, so this specific one is the only one to which I can review. It wa...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Woodland Park, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Read several glowy reviews of Powderhorn and decided to give it a try for a two-night, three-day business trip to Breck. I do not want to disparage my fellow reviewers but... 4 stars? Really? It may be that folks who like this place do not frequently stay in hotels and had rather low expectations, or think that a condo stay SHOULD be like camping in a cabin.
At any rate, the Powderhorn isn't a hotel; it's a group of rental properties enclosed in an aged, crumbling apartment building with absurd parking, ridiculous access to the "rooms," and no guest service desk on site. That's right, you need to check in at the rental office in downtown Breck. So you have to find parking on Main street to get your key. And check out. No leaving keys in the rooms!
The rooms are all "nonsmoking," but they've certainly been smoked in. There have been updates to furnishings and fixtures here and there but the old smoke smell is persistent. Folks with children or allergies/asthma will be particularly displeased.
Throughout my stay, I found that: the garage door sensor was broken, necessitating getting out of my car to open the door & enter/exit the property; there was no Ethernet cable in my rental (discovered at 10 pm when I was already in bed); there was no secure WiFi; the landline phone did not work (at 10 pm, trying to call guest services); and there was no hair dryer (discovered at 6 am, out of shower getting ready to go).
It's not the lack of amenities, inconvenient access or less-than-modern decor that gets Powderhorn 2 stars from me; it's how the property owners obviously disregard their guests' comfort and basic requirements for a pleasant stay. The message "We Don't Care" comes through loud and clear at every point of interaction (or non-interaction, essentially) with the staff.
You can do MUCH better.

Room Tip: Since these are rental properties, I think the quality of the rooms will vary depending on how the o...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Erie, CO
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

This is not a knock against the owners of the Powderhorn Condominiums or any specific unit. I desperately tried to stay there for a weekend in June 2012 with my family. Unusual situations prevented us from attending and Great Western Lodging was less than accomodating. I booked the condo with Great Western Lodging.....a huge mistake.

First, I received a confirmation after payment stating that I had to pay yet an additional "cleaning fee." There was no notice of this fee as I made the reservation online and paid with a credit card. When contacting Sondra at Great Western, she merely pushed it off as Breckenridge Central Reservation's problem and would do nothing for me. I couldn't even cancel the reservation. Keep in mind that other units on the gobrecknow.com website include their cleaning fees at checkout in the fees/taxes section....not Great Western. So, before I even entered the door, I'm forced to pay an addional 35% over what I thought was my final price.

Next....and this is simply pure greed, in my opinion. My family and I live in metro Denver, about an hour and a half from Breck. We visit Breck often. We booked the condo on Monday for that coming weekend. Unfortunately, my father in law had a tragic accident on Wednesday night falling down a flight of stairs. Again, I contacted Sondra at Great Western to explain our horrific situation....there was absolutely no way that my family would be able to make it to Breckenridge that weekend. I didn't even ask to cancel the reservation...I merely asked for some help regarding our situation. I explained that I was willing to wait for a last minute availability, checking on a Thursday to see if the same unit was available for Friday and Saturday. Heck, I was willing to wait until September when there is little or no demand. Anything! My pleas fell upon deaf ears as I was simply asked: "were you offered travel insurance when you booked the condo?" I understand that they are trying to run a business, but this is absolutely ridiculous. I can see paying an additional 10% premium to insure travel several months out if I was coming in from out of state. Long story short, regardless of our unfortunate situation, I was told that there was nothing they could do for me because I didn't purchase travel insurance....even if the death of my father in law prevented my family from going up to Breckenridge that weekend.

Wow....I'm still floored. I basically made a $300 donation to Great Western Lodging. And yes, they are right in rejecting my pleas to work something out....I did not pay additonal for the travel insurance. Rack this one up as a learning experience.....greed overcomes good business. At least I saved $100 since I didn't have to pay the additional "cleaning fee!"

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Powderhorn Condominiums? Share your experiences!