“GTL - a great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Timber Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Breckenridge
Grand Timber Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Indiana
“GTL - a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

My husband and I visited GTL the week before Labor Day. The resort is in a great location. We could walk to downtown. A bus runs to downtown on a regular schedule, every half hour, I believe. During ski season, it would be very close to the lifts. Not quite ski in/ski out. You would have to walk a bit to the closest lift, but you could ski straight back in.

We were in building 2. It was very quiet. We hardly ever heard other guests from inside our room, even from our own lock-off unit. The unit itself was very roomy. The kitchen was very well equipped, with nice cabinets, appliances, and counters. The bed was not very comfortable. The mattress was pretty hard. The bedroom closet was small and the carpet showed signs of wear, but overall we were happy with the unit.

Wireless internet is available for free in the Great Room, but costs to have it in your unit. It was a kind of a pain to lug the laptop to the next building, but we didn't feel like paying extra for it. We think it should be available for free in the units. It's already installed, so it wouldn't cost them any more.

The pool and spa near our building were small, but clean and never overcrowded, probably because of the weather. It was cooler than we expected. The water was comfortably warm and both felt good after a day of hiking.

My husband would like to return to GTL during ski season. I'm not really a skier, so it'll probably have to be a "guys" trip.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
CustomerServiceDept, Customer Service at Grand Timber Lodge, responded to this review, October 23, 2009
We do offer a free shuttle service, which runs on an on-demand schedule, and will pick-up anywhere in town. We provide all guests with the shuttle number, and it typically runs from 9:00AM - 10:00PM. On the weekends in the Winter season, it will run until 11:00PM.

We always accept requests from guests who prefer a certain type of unit, such as one in a quieter location. So, if guests would appreciate peace and quiet during their stay, all they have to do is ask! We can never guarantee units, of course; however we will do our absolute best to accommodate a specific request.

As far as providing free wireless in each unit, if you are an owner at the property, this would be something that could be brought up and addressed at the next Home Owners’ Association Meeting. We always consider suggestions regarding company policy and process from any owner who is willing to present his or ideas.

-Customer Service

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

As a couple in our mid-sixties who wanted to see Colorado, we chose Grand Timber because of its central location. We were able to go to the train in Leadville on Saturday and an all day round trip by car across Trail Ridge Road and on to see interesting points in Estes Park on Sunday last week. Then when the snow began on Monday, Sept 21, we flat-landers decided to escape to the southwestern part of the state. Consequently, we were only guests of Grand Timber for 3 days of our week's stay.
The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the building was quiet. The parking garage was full when we returned from our Estes Park trip at 9:30 p.m. and we had to ask front dest where to park. They suggested a building a block away. We parked in the adjacent building's lower level and had to walk to our building outside, not a large problem.
When we looked out on Sunday night, we saw that there were very FEW lights on in the other buildings, indicating a low census in the resort. I believe that area is not in great demand between summer and ski season.
When we checked in we had reserved an efficiency and I asked that we be upgraded to a one bedroom. The front desk clerk did not check whether that could be done, just refused to do so. I think that she could have checked to see whether we could have been accommodated in a one bedroom if one was available.
I truly believe a one bedroom was available.
We were quite lost except for our Garmin. I expected much more help with activities and suggestions both within the resort and about the town of Breckenridge. The map we were given at the resort was not as good as one I picked up at the local grocery store.
I would recommend this resort, but remember that the parking is tight in a low season.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
CustomerServiceDept, Customer Service at Grand Timber Lodge, responded to this review, October 2, 2009
We apologize if a guest feels that the front desk staff is not wholly displaying their primary commitment to respect and proper etiquette, which requires always being willing to go out of the way to make each guest feel comfortable and at home, while ensuring that we are doing everything possible to accommodate each guest’s requests.

Our reservations counselors are always happy to assist guests with any and all requests, questions, or concerns regarding travel or reservation options. They are available Monday through Saturday, from 9:00AM – 5:00PM. Please do not hesitate to call at any time within those daily work hours.

Our counselors can be reached, toll free, at (877)-453-4440 Ext. 4

Wichita, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2009

I recently read several negative comments before we went up to Grand Timber Lodge. Because of those comments, I was concerned about the upcoming stay. We have owned a timeshare there since 2000. When we arrived, we were greeted and taken care of professionally. The 2 bedroom condo was as nice as it has always been, however, due to the age, some of the furniture is showing some wear. The condo was clean and all the staff were very friendly. We ate in the LodgePole two times and both times were treated very well by the waitstaff. My friend and I went to the spa - wonderful as always! The activities person, Anna, was the best! I question the negative comments made about the property. One of our friends had never been to Grand Timber and he was very impressed as well. Sometimes things happen - you can't make everyone happy 100% of the time. However, Grand Timber Lodge remains one of the best places to enjoy any time of the year!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
CustomerServiceDept, Customer Service at Grand Timber Lodge, responded to this review, October 27, 2009
At Grand Timber Lodge, we are thrilled when guests feel they are taken care of and accommodated in a caring and professional manner.

We are so happy to hear when guests return year after year and have great vacations with us each time!

Las Vegas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

The location is the best part about this place. You are close to town and restaurants. The pool was nice, just packed with lots of people and chlorine. The service at the front desk was not very friendly. We were in Building 4 on the first floor. It was like staying underground in a hole for a week. The room was old, the carpet was gross, the bedding did not fit the bed and the couch was plastic and so uncomfortable. The limited kitchen was VERY limited. When they say towel exchange that is all they do. I have stayed at other timeshares where they at least make up the beds and put your dishes away. The parking was convenient. I think that if you are exchanging this through Interval, they put you in the older buildings. If you are going to take the timeshare tour, they put you in the newer buildings to get you to buy. Higher the building number, newer the room!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
CustomerServiceDept, Customer Service at Grand Timber Lodge, responded to this review, September 24, 2009
At Grand Timber Lodge, we do have two indoor-outdoor pools and, although they are a very popular amenity among guests in the Summer season, they are open all year and tend to not be as crowded in the other seasons.

The building numbers correspond to the check-in/check-out days of any given reservation. Buildings 1 through 4 will always have Saturday-Saturday check-in/check-out days, while buildings 5 and 6 have a Sunday-Sunday check-in/check-out, and buildings 7 and 8, (our newest buildings), will always be
Friday-Friday check-in/check-out.

While we can never guarantee rooms until check-in, guests may be more in control of the building that their reservations get booked into by understanding the way the buildings correspond to the check-in day of their stay.

Mpls
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

We've been to ski resorts before so we know they get beat up - and for them summer is just incremental business - but I don't think I've ever stayed in a more filthy property. We routinely trade our MVC week using Interval International. Interval may want to exert some 'standards' on this place.

The outside of the buildings are in good repair - and first impression is just fine. The units are large and built in the last ten years (they have huge potential).

I was assured before our stay that the units are taken out of service for two weeks each Spring and thoroughtly cleaned, painted, etc. If this one was really cleaned thoroughly in May, I would hate to have seen it in April.

The kitchen was terribly unsanitary to the naked eye. The refrigerator had six months dust on top of it.

The carpet was fithy with huge stains. They cleaned the stains, but in your mind you know the carpets are filthy where they were not cleaned.

We found a clothing article hanging in the bathroom, a pill on the floor next to the bed. Pillows and beds need updating badly.

There simply is not any supervision of the cleaning staff.

The underground parking garage was very clean and well lit.

I'm glad I don't own a week here.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
CustomerServiceDept, Customer Service at Grand Timber Lodge, responded to this review, September 9, 2009
We apologize sincerely if a guest feels that the up-keep of his or her room was not up to par. It is possible that some rooms naturally experience more wear and tear over the course of a season, but the rooms at Grand Timber Lodge are renovated regularly and go through two weeks of cleaning every year.

Also, the maintenance staff on duty is always ready and able to fix any problem in the rooms with immediacy.

We are very sorry if a guest feels that our staff was indifferent to your concerns. We do train our staff extensively, and our primary commitment is to always create great vacations.

Rochester, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

Well, I was dissapointed with the "grand" timber lodge. It seems every day, maintenance takes the opportunity to bang loudly, cut wood, generaly create a loud disturbance. This would be fine if they did it in a remote area, enclosed building, etc, but they have a shed right in the middle of the complex and leave the doors open (during the summer). My 19 month old was woken up every day. Even after I called the front desk to complain, it still occured. You can't shut the windows in the summer, it is Waaay to hot (for some reason they leave the basement level garage heat on (80F degrees when the outside is 40F) so the heat just floats up the first floor). I called the front desk 3 times, and was basically told that maintenance had to be loud sometime, and I just happened to have a child sleeping during the time they chose as the least obtrusive.

What the hell happened to a peaceful, quiet vacation. Move you maintenance, make them shut the door, or at least try to keep it quiet (especially if you're told a child is sleeping).

Now, as to the other issues, spend some money and buy some shower heads that don't cause the skin to be flayed from your body. Dear God, I don't know how I managed to shower without killing myself.

Fix the sauna, they're supposed to go to 160-180F (dry), this one never topped 100F which I could have got in the garage with less effort (also contacted the front desk, nothing resolved).

High speed internet, watch out they'll charge you for it. For Pete's sake, I can get free wireless in a Ramada, why should I pay for it here.

The only thing this place has going for it is that it's in Breckenridge and the shuttle.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
CustomerServiceDept, Customer Service at Grand Timber Lodge, responded to this review, August 25, 2009
At Grand Timber Lodge, we like to think of ourselves as a "home away from home" and we are sorry if a guest did not feel that they got that type of experience.

Grand Timber Lodge has a variety of types of rooms and locations, such as rooms overlooking pool areas or facing wilderness. If a guest has a preference (busier areas as opposed to quieter areas), we always do our best to accommodate certain requests. While we cannot guarantee a specific room, guests may call in and place requests.

Wireless internet is available in rooms for a small daily or weekly fee; otherwise there is a business center on property with a computer connected to the internet available for guests and owners to use free of charge.

Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

We stayed at the Grand Timber Lodge from July 2-8th. There was nothing negative the we experienced at all. I can't understand why there are negative reviews. Our room was perfect, clean, comfortable. Our toilet handle broke and maintenance fixed it within a 1/2 of an hour. The area was gorgeous with a lot of trials to walk which were nice, even with kids (two boys 9 and 11). We went to the Peak 8 park and the kids did the alpine slide which was a blast. We also rode the chair lift up to the peak and got fantastic pictures of the view. Unfortunately, my husband broke his arm while riding his bike. However, the medical care at Summit Hospital was outstanding. The doctors are experts and the best in the nation. When my husband came home to Ohio and visited our doctor, he took a new x-ray and said that the doctor in Colorado did an outstanding job. I have no complaints at all. Everything was great.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
CustomerServiceDept, Customer Service at Grand Timber Lodge, responded to this review, August 11, 2009
The Grand Timber Lodge is located in a great central location to enjoy all of the activities that Breckenridge and Summit County have to offer, for guests of all ages! Our activities desk is available to help guests with information and booking for tons of area activities.

-Customer Service

Been to Grand Timber Lodge? Share your experiences!