My husband and I arrived at the Grand Timber Lodge on Monday, August 19th for a work gathering for my husband. An admin assistant from one of the conferee's companies had made the room reservations. We found out upon entering Breckenridge that the town was to be hosting the USA Pro Cycling event over the next two days; when we asked at check-in for any upgrades, we were told that we were lucky to have a room at all and that nothing could be done, as they were fully booked due to the race. We found that we had a studio - a small room with a board-hard queen size bed, a small, spartan bath that didn't even have soap or shampoo, a mini fridge and a two burner cooktop, a stiff sofa and coffee table, a board attached to the wall that served as desk and eating table, no A/C (not unusual here, of course), and a window overlooking the noisy family pool area. My husband pressed hard to be moved to a better room, offering to pay for the upgrade, but apparently nothing could be done as the property was fully booked. The management did swap out the mattress for a more comfortable one, but is was not a very restful night. The next day, we were transferred to a one bedroom. Wow - what a difference! We had been very unhappy with the GTL up to that point. Our new room featured a large bedroom with a king bed, a portable A/C unit, a separate living room with two large club chairs, a sofa, coffee table, fireplace, and dining table for six; a full, well-stocked kitchen; a washer and dryer; a balcony overlooking the quiet adult pool and the lovely landscaped area surrounding it, a bath with a large whirlpool tub and a double vanity and an adjoining bath with another vanity, toilet and walk-in, large shower. Even the building (main), hallway and parking garage were nicer. To say we were pleased with the upgrade would be a vast understatement. We did pay extra for this upgrade, but it was definitely worth it.
Lesson learned: check carefully what someone else views as a nice accommodation when they're booking for you. Also, we understood that the GTL staff had no options the day we arrived. What bothered my husband was the attitude of the staff, who did not seem eager to help make sure we were happy customers.
I also need to give a shout-out to the shuttle driver, who had to work around road closures with the race in town but did so cheerfully. He also gave us unfailingly good recommendations for restaurants.
This is probably a great place to stay during ski season, right at the lifts and within an easy walk of Main Street. We enjoyed our summertime stay here very much once we were out of the tiny studio.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Timber Lodge is a luxury ski-in/out condominium resort offering the largest amenities package in Breckenridge. Our exquisitely appointed luxury condominiums are conveniently located between Peaks 8 and 9 at the world famous Breckenridge Ski Resort. You will also enjoy our close proximity to Breckenridge’s Main Street, indoor/outdoor swimming pools and hot tubs, a fitness center, complimentary shuttle bus, pampering spa and salon services, an on-site ski/bike concierge, a bar and restaurant and much more. At Grand Timber Lodge, you’ll find everything you need for a great vacation: A lovely and private wooded setting, excellent amenities, all of the comforts and convenience of home, and a staff eager to make your vacation simply perfect! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Grand Timber Hotel Breckenridge
- Grand Timber Breckenridge
- Grand Timber Lodge Breckenridge Colorado