“Grand Timber Escape” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Timber Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Breckenridge
Grand Timber Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver
“Grand Timber Escape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We've stayed here many times, as we live in Denver and this is "our mountain home away from home." We found the property well-maintaned and updated since our last stay here last fall. Our Master one bedroom suite, was fully furnished and so enjoyable. New flat screen TV's were great. Enjoyed the pools and getting some sun while reading and relaxing. Staff were friendly, courteous and helpful as always. The restaurants in Breck are great - many offering 2/1 entrees this time of year. The mountains are always beautiful whatever time of year.

Room Tip: Higher floor suites may have better views of the mountains. Master units have balconeys, the lockof...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark G, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Timber Lodge, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for the feedback! We truly appreciate all the kind words you have to say about our resort, amenities and staff. Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcome you back to the resort again in the near future!

365 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We stayed in a one bedroom condo for three nights starting on a saturday in mid-May. We got there around 1pm and they said we couldn't get in to the room at that time but could check in and they'd call us when the room was ready. So we shopped in Breckenridge a little bit and they called a little after 3pm so we went back and went up to the room.

There was a big dining room table that could seat about 8 probably, roomy kitchen with large granite countertops that spread into the bar with barstools (loads of countertop space), not the most comfortable sofa (sleeper) for lounging around, nice easy chair with ottoman, king-size bed in the master bdrm, big jacuzzi bathtub in one part of the bathroom and large shower with his and her shower heads in another part of the bathroom. Lots of vanity counter space in both parts of the bathrooms and 3 bathroom sinks. The king sized bed was nice and firm, and the entire condo was more than enough space for 2 people to use, you could comfortably fit about 4 to 6 people probably. It had a great balcony with doors off the living room and the master bdrm and we both would have loved to sit on it and soak up the atmosphere but the chairs were the cheap walmart stackable kind that you can't really lounge around in for very long.

We used the hottub quite a bit and the pool off the main building was a little small and shallow (3' to 4' deep). The hottub steps, seating surfaces and bottom are all pretty rough and it was kind of easy to get some scrapes on your legs, somehow my girlfriend ended up getting a splinter in the hottub.

We both needed to telecommute for a half day on monday, and the wifi was plenty stable and fast enough to support our VPN connections. It was great having so much space in the condo to spread out while telecommuting.

We picked the rate that did not include the 90 minute timeshare presentation so it was a little higher, but we both agreed it was still a great value.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Grand Timber Lodge. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed the amenities on site and found your room spacious. We hope to see you again soon and to continue providing with great vacations for years to come!
Tall Timbers, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We recently stayed here during the offseason, as we were primarily visiting our son and daughter- in-law who live in town. So, it was very, very quiet.

We have stayed at several timeshares in the area, as this was our 7th visit. We rate this property a close second to the Hilton Valdoro among the properties that we have visited, all of which were RCI Gold Crown or Interval International top tier.

The property is very nice, along with all of the staff with which we made contact. Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark G, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Timber Lodge, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Aurora, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was here for an 'owner's event' at a sister time share resort and have to say I like this resort, but it just doesn't have the pizazz of the new resort(s), and it's completely surrounded by other hotels & resorts & condos, and they're very close, I didn't feel like there was any privacy. Rooms need to be updated, they get a lot of use and the wear n tear is beginning to show. Was there during the off-season (spring) so no skiers, gondola wasn't running, Main Street was torn up, but there were so few people in town the delays were minimal. This is quite a bit removed from the Breckenridge attractions so you do have to drive if you want to go out "in town". Staff was always very friendly and helpful, but no one removed the snow from the deck over the entrance to the garage in Bldg 7, and it was like a waterfall pouring down directly over the place where you need to stop & stick your arm out to activate the garage opener, I'm glad I bought at Peak 7!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review of Grand Timber Lodge. We always appreciate hearing feedback about areas that we can improve to provide the best vacations possible. We are currently in the process of updating our property, and the updates include: new carpeting, bedding, beds, tables, paint, chairs, sofas, appliances, etc. This will be a process that will take about 3 years and we are in our first year of updates. We also do offer a free shuttle service that can take you in and pick you up from town. We hope to see you again in the future and help you enjoy your ownership and Grand Lodge on Peak 7!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Great 2 bedroom condo experience with 1 bedroom a full kitchenette. We drove to Abasin daily as we were at GTL the last weekend of April. Service was excellent. Staff was helpful our room in building 6 was well equipped. Our friend did tour the timeshares and had a fair and positive experience, and received 2 lift tickets to A. We cooked in the room both nights, had a cute group of foxes check out our back deck. Enjoyed the pool and hot tubs. Lots of space in a 2 bedroom for a group of 5 with 1 kid. Great mountain town feel- a place where people look out for you! Our family will be back!!! And no one wanted to leave!!

• Stayed April 2013
Mark G, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Timber Lodge, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Grand Timber Lodge! We are happy you and your party of six enjoyed our Two Bedroom unit, amenities, great location and the wildlife. We are happy you took advantage of all our resort has to offer, and we welcome you back soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here just for a rest and relaxation week. We arent into skiing but found other activties to do. We stayed in a suite room. So beautiful and nice. We loved our stay. Highly recommend Grand Timber Lodge!

• Stayed April 2013
It brings us great pleasure to hear positive feedback from guests who highly recommend the resort. Our company motto is “Always Great Vacations” and we are pleased to know that we were able to provide you with this experience. We hope to see you back at the resort again soon!
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This hotel/resort has the most terrible/horrendous reservations/booking service I've ever experienced anywhere in the world. They are a rare perfect example of "everything you should do to upset your customer and make them feel cheated".
I booked and paid in advance for a 3 night stay online at the Grand Timber Lodge's website. I made these reservations about a month before the date of our trip. I reserved a two bedroom suite for what seemed a decent rate (about $450/night). Part of the special rate included a "tour" of their resort - there was no information provided regarding the time of the "tour" or that it was mandatory AND compulsory for all family members. I imagined an onsite video, resort/hotel walking tour and some kind of pitch about the benefits of buying a timeshare unit. BUT I did not want to make any assumptions since the "tour" was packaged as part of the rate so I called ahead and asked them how long the "tour" would take and whether I would have some options regarding the timing. The answers provided where: "1-2 hours" for the tour and "Yes" they were different time slots available throughout the day. This seemed reasonable and pretty straight forward.
And that was the last reasonable thing I heard from the Grand Timber Lodge. We were scheduled to arrive on March 10th and depart on March 13th but there was a snowstorm that delayed all flights and our flight was cancelled late in the evening of the 10th (a Sunday). I called the Grand Timber Lodge hotel number and was told that I had to call the Reservations number. I called the Reservations number and received a recorded message saying that they where only opened from 9am to 4pm Mon-Fri and to try again during those hours. A hotel resort with banking hours? I called the front desk again and explained our situation - they said it was fine and to be safe on our way into town. My belief was that they would either extend our stay by one night or offer some type of one day "rain check" for our next stay - I did not expect a refund on a prepaid resort deal. On our way in to Breckenridge, I called the reservation line to confirm the change in dates for our stay - only to receive the same recorded message saying that their hours where 9am to 4pm and to call again during those hours (this was at approximately 11am in the morning!!). Maybe they were out to lunch?
When we finally arrived to the hotel around 3pm on Monday the 11th, I checked in and asked the hotel attendant whether we could extend our stay by one day - again, they said we had to call the reservation number. I called the reservation line and incredibly, I received the same recorded message saying that I should try again during their business hours. I continued to call and finally someone responded. I explained the situation to them and told them I did not expect a refund but would like to see if we could extend the stay by one day and perhaps they could offer some type of discount toward our next stay - the answer where NO extension was possible, NO discount of any type, NO other alternatives offered. Really? I was so dumfounded by their answer that I had to pause and think what else to say so I resorted to simply confirming what I heard:
- our room is not available for an additional day, are there any other similar rooms? NO
- we where not here on the 1st night because of a snowstorm but there's nothing you can do get us back next year, i.e. partial discount towards another stay? NO
- are there any other alternatives you can provide? NO
The answers by themselves where so absolute, so forcefully answered that I had to wonder who I was speaking with. Was this one of those special people who hated her job so much she didn't care that she was supposed to at least pretend to be helpful? This must be it, I thought, so I asked if I could speak with her supervisor - "NO, there's no one else here at this time, you can try again later".
So, I was out $450 for a night AND I now only had 1 1/2 day vacation vs. the 3 days we had originally planned AND I had paid for change of airplane fare to extend our stay so I had to find other accommodations for my family. BUT that was NOT YET the worst part. The unhelpful reservations person did have one piece of information about my "tour" - it was scheduled for tomorrow at 12pm on Main Street. It was NOT at the hotel and I had to drive down to town and then they would drive me to another property. Since I now only had one day for actual skiing (which as the whole point of the trip) I decided that I would go with my mother (she doesn't ski and did not want to just stay in the room all day) and my wife would take the children out to the slopes. This seemed like a good plan until I got to the "tour" site -it was a sales office where I was asked to fill out a multi-page questionnaire by a young lady. This took about 15-20 minutes and my mother filled one out too. After we submitted our completed questionnaires, a very pleasant young man came over and started asking us more questions (I guess he couldn't be bothered to look at the questionnaire). We chatted for about 10-15 minutes until I finally asked "so, when are we going on this tour?" He said he had to check on something with the questionnaire lady and we could leave in a few minutes. Another 10-15 minutes passed and the young gentleman finally came back - oh, by the way, is your spouse and family with you?
- Yes, they're out doing what we came to do - ski.
- Well, we really need your spouse and family here to do the tour.
- Why? I'm here and I actually want to see this property. Also, I brought my mother because she wanted to see it too.
- Well, that's not really how it works, we need the family that made the reservation to ALL attend the tour. Well, I made the reservations, not my family. So why does that matter?
- Well, it's a family decision and we want to make sure that the family receives all the information.
- Not having my spouse and family here is not going to alter our decision.
- Well, that's not really how it works
- Why? I'm here and I actually thought this was a perk not a requirement that specific people had to attend.
- Yeah, there's really nothing I can do.
- Ok, so we can't do the tour?
- What should I do?
- We'll, let me get you the phone number for our reservations office

At this point, we had been there almost an hour and when he said let me get you the number for the RESERVATIONS office - well, I had enough. I took the card with the number he gave me and we left. It was too late to go out and meet my kids so I stayed at the room until they got back around 3pm. I didn't want to to but I called the RESERVATION number again and asked them what I could do about the tour.
- They suggested that I re-schedule for the following day and bring my entire family.
- I told them that was not going to work because we would be leaving the same day and wanted to have some time with my family on our VACATION (no matter how short it was).
- She said that she could give us a free one-night stay at another hotel if that would help?
- WHAT?? wait, didn't you just tell me yesterday that there was NOTHING you could do about extending our stay?
- Well, she said, technically, it would be at a different property and we could do it only if you brought your entire family to do the tour.
- No thanks, I said, I think I'm going to pass on the whole tour thing.
- Ok, but Sir, you understand that if you don't do the tour we will be billing you the RACK RATE for your entire stay.
- WHAT?!!!? Wait, I know a bit about "RACK RATES" and nobody ever bills at those rates and how can you do that if I already pre-paid for the entire stay?
- Well, there's a condition in your contract which indicates that you have to bring your entire family for the tour or we will bill you our regular rates.
- Are you joking?
- NO sir
- Listen, there's no way I'm going to pay MORE MONEY for LESS NIGHTS but just for fun what are you talking about (I was doing this just for fun because there's no way I would pay them more money for all this trouble).
- Well sir, for THREE NIGHTS you would have to pay one thousand . . .
- I almost dropped the phone. Surely this is a joke, right?
- NO sir, you will have to pay the extra charge
- There is NO WAY I'm paying over ONE THOUSAND dollars MORE for a two-night stay at the worst place in the WORLD. And I didn't even get the tour because you would take me on it!
- I'm sorry sir, there is nothing I can do.

I will not recount the rest of the conversation but obviously I was very upset. And YES, they did try to bill me over $1,000 extra the day after I departed. The really funny part is that the suite they gave us smelled like VOMIT the whole time we where there. I guess it was rented by 15 college kids before us. Maybe they all attended the "tour" and decided to leave a little present for the next guest. This is a horrible, horrible place that I would not recommend to anyone for any reason - please stay away for your own peace of mind.

Room Tip: Avoid these hotel/resort property entirely. There are no "good" places to stay.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mark G, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Timber Lodge, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback and concerns with us. Our goal is to make sure the vacation experience for all of our guests is a positive one. Being that the Grand Timber Lodge is a timeshare resort, we do offer promotional stays that offer our guests the opportunity to explore ownership opportunities at Breckenridge Grand Vacations newest resort, the Grand Lodge on Peak 7. When a rental package of this type is reserved by a guest, Breckenridge Grand Vacations makes every possible effort to communicate the policies associated with reservation with the guest through both phone confirmation as well as multiple email confirmations. Our confirmation information shares the qualifications for being eligible for the discounted reservation and preview tour of the Grand Lodge on Peak 7, which includes previewing the resort with your spouse. Also, our business hours for our Owner Relations Department, which includes our Reservations Department, are Monday through Saturday from 9am – 5pm, Mountain Time. We apologize that you were unsuccessful in reaching us during these hours. If we do encounter challenges with our phone system not working properly, we do offer callers the opportunity to leave a voicemail so that we are able to follow up on any calls that are missed during or after our normal business hours. We do sincerely apologize for the challenges that you encountered during your stay, but we do make every effort to provide our guests with the information necessarily to avoid confusion with any of our stays at any of our resorts. Also, we always recommend that our guests purchase travel insurance on any reservation they reserve and this is offered, by phone, shortly after the online reservation completed. Unfortunately, circumstances do come up that prevent guests from arriving on time for their reservations and this added protection greatly helps avoid any out of pocket costs. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We greatly appreciate having the opportunity to look at our own systems to see if there are areas where we can improve to better serve our guests.

Been to Grand Timber Lodge? Share your experiences!