I took our two adult children on a ski vacation to Breckenridge. We did a timeshare exchange and picked the Grand Timber Lodge. We stayed in a one-bedroom premium (the larger side of the two-bedroom unit). Overall, it was a good stay. We had pretty good skiing, although Breck could use more snow. The unit was spacious, with a nice fireplace and whirlpool tub. There is a pool and hot tubs both inside and outside. You can decide if the air is warm enough to walk 10-15 feet from the pool to the outdoor hot tub (we didn't, as it was -10 at the time).
The shuttle service is reasonably prompt, but the pickup and drop-off points in town are limited. They can't stop anywhere. There are small signs on the street that indicate the stops. It would be nice if the resort had a map that showed exactly where they were, but usually you just needed to say where you were going and the driver knew where to stop.
There is a heated garage under the unit and storage lockers for skis. The lockers were usually full, so we just put our stuff in the car.
The description includes "ski in and ski out" but that is stretching my definition of the term. Taking the shuttle to and from Beaver Run is probably a better choice. Yes, there are marked runs that pass the property, but the Snowflake trail is very flat in several stretches, and you have to pole your way along or walk. Sawmill is a little better, but still rather slow. The ski out requires you to walk across the property to a spot near the pool to join the Sawmill trail. It's right next to the Christy Sports office on the property, but it's pretty inconvenient if you have equipment issues and need to exchange anything. We found Breck Sports to be more conveniently located.
The frying pans in our kitchen were in really good shape for a timeshare. We may have gotten lucky on that, but I always bring a frying pan just in case. There were a lot of cooking utensils, dishes, glassware, and other needs available. I thought there was more stuff than at other timeshare resorts.
A few small downsides: 1) The walls are rather thin. We knew when our neighbors were in their room, as they talked fairly loudly. At least it was not near the bedroom! 2) The rooms seemed a bit chilly, due to heat loss through the windows and cold air coming through the range hood vent. 3) They change the towels once a week for free. Additional changes are expensive. This is not a hotel with daily maid service, so I don't expect daily towel changes. (After all, how often do you change towels at home?) If you want that, then pick a regular hotel room and pay $200-250 per night in high season. 4) There is limited space to hang the winter coats: a 5-hook hanger on the wall. There's no good storage in the unit for bulky stuff like ski boots.
One issue that I reported was a maintenance worker unlocked our door and started to come in without knocking, which is against their policy. This was rather disconcerting, to say the least! They apologized profusely, but it should not have happened.
One other note is that we did not get the hard sell to take the tour of the Grand Lodge and listen to the 90 minute sales pitch. They offered the opportunity once at check-in, and let us decide. No daily reminder calls or other pestering, as at other resorts. The choice was totally up to us (we skipped it).
We'd come back here on our next visit, as it's conveniently located and a nice property. I would also try other resorts if they were available.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Timber Lodge is a luxury ski-in/out condominium resort offering the largest amenities package in Breckenridge. Our exquisitely appointed luxury condominiums are conveniently located between Peaks 8 and 9 at the world famous Breckenridge Ski Resort. You will also enjoy our close proximity to Breckenridge’s Main Street, indoor/outdoor swimming pools and hot tubs, a fitness center, complimentary shuttle bus, pampering spa and salon services, an on-site ski/bike concierge, a bar and restaurant and much more. At Grand Timber Lodge, you’ll find everything you need for a great vacation: A lovely and private wooded setting, excellent amenities, all of the comforts and convenience of home, and a staff eager to make your vacation simply perfect! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Grand Timber Hotel Breckenridge
- Grand Timber Breckenridge
- Grand Timber Lodge Breckenridge Colorado