“Convenient Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Breckenridge

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Breckenridge to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Breckenridge
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   550 Village Road, Breckenridge, CO 80424 (Formerly Great Divide Lodge)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early,Save up to 20%
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Breckenridge
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Convenient Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I was surprised to see so many bad reviews here. I had stayed here this past March and thought it was a perfectly acceptable hotel. And there had been some renovation since then, so I was looking forward to another stay here.

I got a slightly nicer room this year (last time I had to transfer to a second set of elevator). This time I have a view of the mountain and a nice balcony. Otherwise the hotel looked almost the same as last year.

Resort Fee
I really hate hotels that charge a resort fee, esp when it was added at the beginning of December without any notice. It includes parking, but I suspect most people who come to ski here are not driving, but taking the shuttle instead.

Overall I found all the staff to be genuinely nice and want to help. There were some rough edges and I suspect this is mostly due to inexperience as I think many employees are seasonal workers. As a Hilton Elite member, I was given a letter explaining the benefits. I think it would be nice if the front desk clerk had explained the benefits and services in a bit more detail at check in. They no longer use the breakfast vouchers so it was a bit confusing for me. The concierge was also really nice, but she didn't really know the answers to most questions I had asked her.

Breakfast
I read some bad reviews about the breakfast. I didn't think it was that bad. It was reasonably priced and had a good variety. It's on par with the food you get in Breckenridge

Ski Valet
This seems to be new this year. The brochure at the hotel and its website advertises a ski valet service that brings your skis to the slopes. However, in practice, I've found that most of the time you have to bring your owns back to the hotel for them to store it and take them to the slopes yourself in the morning. I have big issues when hotels try to advertise services that are simply not there. When I called the front desk and asked about it, I was told they would store your skis as the extent of the service. When I pressed, she said if I really insisted, they could bring it out for me. Again, that's not quite how this was advertised. The ski valet was nice and I kind of feel bad asking him to carry my skis for me since it wasn't offered. I did see a ski rack with Double Tree flag by the parking lot on the slope, so I hope this is a case of early season, lack of training.

First Track
This is a huge benefit to staying at the Doubletree. On Fridays, a handful of guests in Vail Resorts owned hotels are allowed to use the lift one hour early. It was only the Beaver Run lift, but you can pretty much access the entire Peak 9. I truly felt like a VIP that morning. By 8:30 when people were lining up, I had done a few runs already. While all the staff were wearing the First Track badge, no one proactively explained to me the benefit. I think this is a huge missed opportunity for the hotel to sell this tremendous benefits.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Chris T, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Breckenridge, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your gracious remarks. The entire staff at the DoubleTree works extremely hard for all our guests and it always makes us happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. Please let our team know the next time you’re in the area, we would love to host you again at the DoubleTree in Breckenridge.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Breckenridge,CO, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

My husband and I prepaid our breakfast for two days but something happened at last minute and I asked to the manager if I could get my money back for one day of breakfast because we have to leave at 4:00 am the next morning. Her answer was: “maybe you can work it out something with the restaurant staff because I could not do anything about it” and she left ignoring me. that was the only incident about this place...We have been loyal members of Hilton but this was kind of rude.

Dear Guest,
I apologize that we were not able to adjust the prepaid charges off of your statement. In uncontrollable circumstances we should be able to accommodate our guests and should have made this right for you before departure. Thank you for your feedback, we hope to see you at the DoubleTree in Breckenridge again.
Awendaw, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

The staff at the Breckenridge Doubletree was unfriendly and had no concept of customer service. Our stay was for 4 days and housekeeping never cleaned room either room. I am a Hilton honors member and only received breakfast vouchers for 4 of my group of 8 even though I was told pre check in that all 8 of us would receive breakfast vouchers. We found live insects in both rooms, both in the bedding and on the floor of the bathroom. The heating system did not work properly and the humidifier supplied for the room did not work.

Dear Guest,
At the DoubleTree in Breckenridge we focus our efforts on providing guests with an experience of a lifetime during their trip, but it is apparent that some heartfelt retraining is required for our staff. The complimentary breakfast is an amenity provided to all Hilton Gold and Diamond members with a maximum of 4 vouchers per reservation, so I apologize that you were misinformed that your party of 8 would be receiving that meal every day with no additional charge. I am shocked and alarmed that you encountered insects during your trip, and also quite bothered that it was not brought to my attention while you were at our property. The insect issue, along with the heating and humidifier concerns, are situations that can be addressed by our engineering staff during a guest’s stay, but something I need to discuss with my Chief Engineer. Again, I am sorry that this recent trip was not up to your expectations, but we hope to see you again at the DoubleTree in Breckenridge.
Castle Rock, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

The only good feature that this hotel provides is that is close to Peak 9.
Be aware about the $20 a day resort charge plus taxes. They won't mention anything at check in.
They nickel and dime every single thing.
The house keeping room service was not provided every day and I have to call for clean towels, coffee cups and other things during that time, and for the towels I had to call guest services several times before I got an answer.
For breakfast coffee eggs and bacon you will be paying $21 per person.
Internet sucks....doesn't work
They valet the skis and poles for you, they don't allow you to bring them into your room....also they are not responsible for the lost or damage they might suffer while under their care, which I think is not fair as they lost our poles the first night, and they told us so sorry and that was it. The third day of skiing, they couldn't find our skiis.....they are so unorganized.
This place doesn't look like a Hilton.
You will be better off renting a condo than staying at this hotel.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for joining us at the DoubleTree during your recent ski trip. The resort fee was established on November 1st this fall to provide a more economical option for our guests when using the self-service or valet parking, wireless internet, ski valet and business center services, where in the past all these charges were separate and would have amounted to a greater cost than the $20 charge. We have done our best to notify every booking site along with every reservation of this charge beforehand so individuals are not surprised by it upon checking in. Our front desk staff members also mention the charge and services throughout the check in process so our guests are not alarmed to see this fee on the final statement. There are times where this information can be explained poorly or even forgotten upon arrival, and for that I apologize. Our housekeeping team works throughout the day from 9am to 5pm and it is possible that our rooms are not getting serviced as early as some guests may like, therefore enabling our guests to call down for service or more amenities to their rooms. This room servicing process is an issue that I have been working with my management team to resolve. Our food and beverage team also seeks to provide a wide array of nutritional options through our continental breakfast, but could use some revising as you mentioned. With regards to the ski valet service I have been working personally with the manager of the ski shop in order to make it a more streamlined and worry-free process. Being the first year of the amenity we have found kinks that need working out, but have been constantly improving and tweaking the process so a situation like yours does not occur with other guests in the future. Thank you again for joining us at the DoubleTree in Breckenridge, we would like to see you again soon.
Eastern US
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed here in December and would not stay here again. First, the elevators (as reported by other reviewers) are configured so that you have to take a minimum of two to get to your room from the parking garage. There is only 1 elevator to the guest rooms per tower and it is also used by the hotel house cleaning and maintenance staff so you have long waits and we experienced mop bucket water sloshing out of the bucket before we got into the elevator. They are very small as well, so a luggage card or maid card takes up most of the elevator -- plan on 10-15 minutes from the room to your car.

Second, the rooms are dated, weirdly shaped and very, very dark with poor lighting. We had a double king "mountain view" that was very long and narrow with a set of windows at the far end. A lot of unusable, wasted space in the configuration and not nearly enough lighting to brighten the room. It had a "kichenette" that was really just a wet bar (sink and mini-fridge). The bed was very comfortable on the plus side.

Third, some of the staff was not very knowledgeable. The concierge answered a question by stating she wasn't familiar with Breckenridge since she lived in Frisco -- this is her job to know Breckenridge. The front desk staff was young, not very professional, but OK.

Another plus is that the location is very good and convenient to restaurants and shops in town.

Dear Guest,
When the building was first erected it was designed to be a tiered structure so as not to block any of the natural beauty of the mountains behind our property. Naturally, this forced the engineers to create multiple elevator shafts creating longer journeys in getting to each room on the higher floors. We tried to counteract this trip by providing ground level exits on most of the upper floors for easy access to the outdoors. The function of our service elevators is a topic that our engineering team has been trying to resolve for some time as well because they are used for various tasks in servicing our guests, but clearly an issue that needs revisiting. In terms of the room layout we tried to make sure that every room was spacious and well thought out, while also being tastefully decorated in accordance with our multi-million dollar renovation completed this past August. With reference to your comment about the staff, we try to recruit upstanding and polished individuals who also want to enjoy working in a mountain town, but it seems that our management team dropped the ball with some aspects of training. This is something that I need to work on with my fellow managers to make sure that the entire DoubleTree team is well-versed on everything beautiful Breckenridge has to offer so that we can better service our guests. The stay you experienced while at the DoubleTree in Breckenridge is not what we want to show our guests when they visit us, and for that I apologize. Thank you again for taking the time to review our property. The whole staff appreciates your feedback and will work to improve on these issues. We hope to see you again soon.
Friendswood, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

Nice hotel. Restaurant needs improvement but adequate. Service in hotel is excellent. Short walk to town. Older hotel so bathrooms are small. Ski shop in hotel. Recommend rental at lift. There is a place to store your shoes and skis.

Dear Guest,
The DoubleTree staff appreciates your kind words. We have been working to improve different aspects of our restaurant, and really appreciate your comments. Thank you again for staying at the DoubleTree in Breckenridge, please let us know the next time you are visiting.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Excellent scuttle transportation that will take and pick you up anywhere. Nice and friendly staff. Average hotel accommodation but adequate. The room we got was very hot in the winter and we had to get a portable cooler to get the temperature down. A humidifier is a must which the hotel will provide.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. All of our staff try to make a lasting impression on our guests and the whole team is glad you had a great stay at the DoubleTree. We look forward to seeing you again in Breckenridge!

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Breckenridge? Share your experiences!