“Meow, Meow” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Cat is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 496 restaurants in Boulder
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary, Organic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pearl Street
Centennial, Colorado
“Meow, Meow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have never eaten such great food in my life. All the food, including meat, comes from chef, Eric's, farm north of Boulder. The preparation is unusual and divine. If you cant' decide what to order, try the tasting menu. We went on Thanksgiving. Eric doesn't charge on that day but accepts whatever you wish to contribute. It was like a homestyle Thanksgiving and a special adventure all rolled into one. You shouldn't miss this outstanding restaurant on your visit to Boulder.

• Visited November 2012

76% Recommend
Boulder
“Wonderful....nothing more be said...ok...REALLY WONDERFUL!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My wife and I visited the Black Cat last night for dinner @ 6:15pm. We made reservations through Open Table and were seated promptly. Chip was our host and he accommodated a table change for us. We were originally seated next to a 20-something with her dad. She was talking so loud I had to ask to be moved. Chip moved us to a great table in the middle of the place (yes...we could still hear the loud girl but it was ok) We could see the team work from the moment we walked in the door. There was none of the "that's not my section" and everyone seemed to help each other out. The food was beyond words. Everything worked together very complimentary. We decided on the Chef's Table, it's $59 and the chef picks the meal. You just tell your sever, we had John, what your likes and dislikes are and then you're surprised beyond belief. It was supposed to be 5 courses but I swore there were 7!!! We split the wine paring and it was amazing. Started off with Cuddle fish, never had it before, wow, I'm a fan. We had pork belly, diver scallop, fried potato, duck confeit, and finished with a tenderloin that you could cut with the side of your fork it was sooooo tender. Every single dish was cooked to absolute perfection. The Chef/Owner personally prepared everything. We were so impressed. I just can't believe it took us this long to try the Black Cat. Granted, after tip and wine the bill was about $200 for my wife and I....but it was worth more!!!! Can't wait to go back. We noticed they have a little table out of the way tucked in what appeared to be it's own room, we're calling it the "Make out room" and we're going to request it the next time we're there.

Thanks so much for a wonderful evening. John made the experience very enjoyable. He not only explained the dishes but he gave us a great understanding of each wine and why it was selected.

• Visited February 2013
Colorado
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We hadn't been to Boulder in over a decade and chose the Black Cat for our big dinner out. We chose it in part, because it is a farm to table restaurant and we happen to adore freshly grown food, as we have a garden ourselves and buy our meat locally raised.

After reading reviews from several sites we decided to go for the chef's choice 7 course tasting dinner. It was worth every penny as it was delicious, beautifully presented and well explained. Our courses included: lobster, scallops, pork belly, fillet, pasta...and dessert which was a 3 piece sampler - each one was a wow.

One of us opted to included the wine pairing, which was a fun and an interesting way to experience the food. For me it was one of those splurges I was happy to do once, and next time would simply order my drinks separately.

Our experience can only be described as awesome. The staff were all welcoming & knowledgable. The atmosphere warm yet elegant and the timing between courses - perfect.

Thank you Black Cat for a memorable evening in Boulder.

• Visited April 2013
boulder, co
“Best Fine Dining in Boulder”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

...and that's saying a lot. Black Cat, is fine dining made with organic farm to table ingredients. My wife and I eat here once per year, and we always do the 5 course Prix fixe with wine parings. The wine and course always go together perfectly, and are imaginative pairings. The food is absolutely delicious and worth the price, which is substantial. We usually get out spending about $290 for the two of us, including tip. However, we have never regretted it! This is not pretentious fine dining, it strikes that difficult balance of being laid back, and still delivering excellent service. No tie and jacket necessary here. Chef Eric, and wife Jill, have a 130 acre farm and supply the restaurant with vegetables and livestock, which they grew/raised themselves. This is the only place that I have ever gotten additional courses paired with wine above the 5 I've paid for, After the 4th course, the server usually comes and says "The Chef is still cooking, do you have room for more before desert?" These are people who love food, love cooking, and it shows. Treat yourself, you will not regret it!!!

• Visited May 2012
Glencoe, Il
“A Big Slide”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

After a great experience this past summer at the Black Cat, I wondered why I gave a five and so many others were disappointed. Well, i found out on our post Christmas visit yesterday. Same nice atmosphere, lots of fresh organic veggies in a great appetizer, crispy big house salad, an excellent chicken dish, a tasty pork sausage dish, and a magnificent stuffed quail. So where's the beef? It was flying out to the other tables while we waited and waited and waited. Our first welcome, a tasty puff pastry from the chef, flew out moments after the smiling waiter took our wine order. In a flash, it was decanted and poured. A full red bordeaux that I noticed was about 25% pricer than I paid for the same wine less than a week prior in 4 Star Chicago restaurant. But, it was Christmas and the family was together! After a 15 minute delay caused by my son's run to the pharmacy for his daughter's headache medicine, we waited another 15 minutes for the first serving. The vegetable souffle was the hit for that round. The plates were promptly cleared, we sipped wine and chatted...and chatted...and chatted. The little kids moved to their parents' laps and the wine steward brought a less expensive but still overpriced wine. Finally, those who had ordered salad saw the crisp leaves. Silverware was exchanged. We chatted, We drank more wine. We tried water which was regularly refilled. The salad dishes were cleared and we waited some more. The waiter said "any minute now". He said it again15 minutes later. Finally, 2.5 hours after we had arrived, the entrees appeared. The kids were asleep in their parents arms or with a head down on the table. As I noted the entrees were delicious. The shortfall? The fresh vegetable bed under the stuffed quail was lukewarm at best. The quail not much warmer. The same was true with the beds under the pork sausage and the chicken. Only the salmon was sufficiently warm. After brief discussion, and noting the late hour, we elected to finish our entrees rather than send back for a warmup. Coffee? No. Deserts? No, its time to go. I paid the bill and noted to the waiter that if there wasn't a mandatory tip for a party over six and if I hadn't been sitting across from the open kitchen window and watched were the bottle neck was (the chef line not the servers), I would have halved it. Instead, Black Cat will not have a return from our family. I am also sure my son will share the story with his Boulder friends who love good wine and food.
Management seems to have a problem. Lots of people on the prep line; lots of waiters and support staff (they did a lot of standing and waiting), two bartenders and a sommelier. No one, however, seemed to be in charge. No head waiter not even a single person who checked in the reservations. On the chef's line, each station was active, but not very coordinated. Where was the head chef? Why a chef who could could make up such fantastic entrees, appetizers, etc and not see that they came reasonably warm is a mystery to me.

• Visited December 2012