“Bright colors, friendly staff, clean but outdated rooms” 3 of 5 stars

Boulder Outlook Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   800 28th St, Boulder, CO 80303   |
Ranked #18 of 20 hotels in Boulder
Burlington, Vermont
“Bright colors, friendly staff, clean but outdated rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Great lobby and pool area - was empty when we were there. Paid extra, $84, to stay in an executive king which I had hoped would be more quiet than other rooms, but I needn't have done that because the place was empty the weekend we were there. Our room was clean but the TV was an old one that had poor picture quality. We also had trouble with the toilet. The exercise room is tiny with only a few pieces of equipment. Continental breakfast was okay. Business center was functional but with old computers. Don't know how they handle parking when the place is more full and there is a band playing in the bar. We got back at about 10:00 both nights and had trouble finding a parking spot. I will probably try somewhere else on my next trip to Boulder.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

185 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Lakewood, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Outlook’s restaurant/bar Blue Greens have several great blues singers play there. This Wednesday night, they had Janiva Magness. She not only has a great voice, but has won so many blues awards including BB King Entertainer of the Year. Since her show ended late and was about an hour away from our house, we decided to spend the night. This turn out to be one of the best ideas we have ever had. This Wednesday night turn out to be the first snow storm of the season for the Denver metro area. When we got to the hotel, it was already raining. We had reservation with one of the outside rooms. The owner hooked us up with desk clerk and we were inside just steps away from the restaurant. They had given us a free upgrade because of the weather. We settled into our room which was nice, clean, and comfortable. We later went to the restaurant for dinner and to get a place to sit for the music. We sat at one of the several narrow tables’ right up front that sat six people each. At our table were some disc jockeys from a local jazz station and at the next table was the president of the Colorado Blues Society. We both have great meals and good drinks. Janiva’s music was fantastic. It was like she was singing just to us. All through this the owner was always stopping by to see it everything was all right and if we needed anything. The only reason why it did not get 5 stars was because of the snow. The snow wipe out their satellite feed for cable and internet that evening.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Mesquite, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

A recent four night stay resulted in some good experiences and some bad. In my opinion the hotel is for young people/families. A rock climbing wall, rental bikes, pool and spa pool, and a bar/restaurant with live bands aren't typically amenities I usually look for in a hotel. I found the hotel clean and convienient but with the University across the street most of the staff appeared to be students and they seemed more interested in texting or talking to younger friends/patrons than serving other customers. If quiet means anything to you, think twice before asking for a pool view room. The noise from kids in the pool goes on all day and into the night. Another issue is that when the doors from adjacent rooms or down the hall close the resulting "slam" can wake the dead. The food is average at best and the Continental breakfast is nothing special. I got a good rate but they balked at giving me the extra 10% senior discount until I pointed out that they are the ones that advertise it. For my next Boulder trip I'll spend the extra for peace and quiet and stay at the Millinium Hotel down the street.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is the third time I've stayed at this hotel.
It is a bit run down, but filled with treasures that I think make it worthwhile. In the pool area, a rock for climbing, a large pool and jacuzzi tub, Blue Greens restaurant (lounge) is great on the weekend to catch some live entertainment. There are also bikes to borrow and quite a few other amenities available.
Then there is the fact that the hotel recycles everything. There are recycling containers in the room, in the restaurant for breakfast, and elsewhere. That to me is a great step forward.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Edmonton, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed here for a week while attending a moderate-sized conference held at the CU East Campus (which is not directly adjacent). The place is kind of interesting in being build around an indoor pool/rec complex. Both rooms I used faced this, due to my request to be far from the road as I am sensitive to noise.
The first room had a strange continuous motor noise, possibly due to a pump or blower. I was very tired on arrival and this did not affect my sleep. As I was concerned about it, I requested a room change which was courteously and quickly granted, in the morning. The second room also had a bit of a similar noise but much less. For reference, these rooms were on the south (right) side second floor facing inward. As someone else noted, these inward facing rooms also get little natural light despite a large glass inner wall.
The positives were that the rooms were quite large and fairly comfortable. In the second room there was a problem with the power plug on the desk lamp that was repaired very quickly after I repaired it. Internet signal seemed quite strong. I did not notice the chlorine smell someone reported and in fact could not figure out how they keep the evaporation from the pool low, which is mentioned as one of their green attributes and seems to be true since the humidity seems low. I went swimming/tubbing once and this was a bonus I did not know about when booking. They also have a large interior boulder one can climb (I didn't). The continental breakfast is good. The muffins/bagels are fairly standard but the organic cream cheese great. For those wanting protein there are cold boiled eggs. Once I got a bit bored I looked around and noticed waffle makers so had nice waffles the last two mornings. I also ate a couple of nights in the Blues and Greens attached restaurant (also the breakfast venue), which was very good. Especially the Portabello mushroom burger.
The real highlight for me as a cyclist was the use of free bicycles. I found out about this after booking, and it was a real plus. I could get over to east campus very quickly as opposed to a long (15-20 minute) walk. The main campus is right next door so is easier walking distance but a bike could come in handy there too. The bikes are only available until dark but Boulder is very well laid out for biking and mostly fairly flat. So take the AB bus from the airport (DEN aka DIA - $13), use a bike in Boulder, and you will have no rental car bills and be green to boot. In addition to using the bike for transportation, I also had a nice ride on the Boulder Creek Trail into the mountains on the conference's free afternoon. This is a bit of a grunt on the fairly heavy bikes, but a nice ride. You can also get downtown on this trail from very near the hotel.
All in all I was quite pleased with my stay here: the conference price was also quite reasonable although the list of various taxes and a $1/day safe fee were a surprise.

Room Tip: Note my problem with "strange noise" far at the back on the second floor south side.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Argyle, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We recently spent a night here and it was pretty good place. It is older but they have an indoor pool and hot tub, restaurant with bar and free breakfast (cold continental). It is one of the few hotels in the area that offers smoking rooms. The smoking rooms are outside and the non- smoking rooms open into the lobby. It was clean and well priced. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We chose this hotel because compared to other hotels with a similar proximity to town, the price was really low. Overall, our stay was pretty standard and we really had no complaints. We were happy that breakfast was included in the price and that the breakfast was actually pretty good compared to the standard Holiday Inn-type of continental breakfast.
My only suggestion would be that the hotel update the rooms to match its lobby/pool decor and its motto of being different from other hotels. The rooms still had the old, flowery bedspreads, kind of a crappy shower curtain, and old carpet. I'm sure it takes a lot of money to update all the rooms, but even a small item like a new shower curtain could certainly help the room.
Despite the outdated room, I'd stay there again for the price and proximity to town, and would recommend it to other travelers, as long as it was still a good deal compared to other hotels.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Boulder Outlook Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!