“Graduation weekend” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Boulder
NE
“Graduation weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

Our 1st stay at the University Inn was in May 2007 and we really liked the location, so we booked a 2nd stay for 4 nights for CU graduation weekend 2008. And we are glad we did!

It was so nice to be within walking distance of campus and not have to deal with parking on graduation morning. I don't think it took us more then 10 minutes to walk to the ceremony from the Inn. It was also nice to be able to walk to and from Pearl Street, especially in the evening for dinner. Again, no hassles w/ traffic or parking.

The rooms are basic, yet comfortable. But for the affordable price, the "pedestrian friendly" location is what we like the most about the University Inn.

No doubt we will be back as child #2 is enrolled at CU.. more parent's weekends and another graduation to attend!

• Liked — Location!
  • Disliked — shampoo/boday wash dispenser in shower
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Berkeley, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

The University Inn is a older-style motel where all the rooms overlook the parking lot. It isn't the most up to date, and it's not a luxury location. However, if you are visiting Boulder, you really cannot find a better location:a short walk to both campus and the Pearl Street Mall, and across the street from the Whole Foods Market. The rooms are comfortable enough and clean, and the front desk staff was exceptionally nice. If your goal is to come to Boulder to enjoy the town or visit campus, this is a good value option.

• Liked — Great location. Good wifi.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chevy Chase, Maryland USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2008

This old fashined motel style inn with exterior passageways that overlook a parking lot. It is very well located if you are visiting the campus and also want to be close to downtown. You can park your car in the hotel and walk everywhere. Central campus and the student shopping area are three blocks away. A Starbucks is two blocks away. The downtown Pearl Street pedestrian mall is three blocks away. A grocery store is across the street. You can walk to all the best restaurants and bars.

I have stayed here frequently. It is nice to have a free breakfast but the coffee is not good (go to Starbucks). The rooms are a little small and the bathrooms are dated. The price is right and the free wireless internet is important to me. Parking is free to guests.

I recommend rooms on the second floor for security reasons and because they are a little more private than those on the first floor where you can see in from the parking lot. There is a mother-in-law suite that is useful if you are traveling with 3 or more. It has a small extra bedroom tucked away off the main bedroom. You need to request it when you make your reservation. They offer a AAA discount.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Coffee
  • Stayed January 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2007

I asked to see a room and the receptionist said she didn't have a way to do it. That was a lie; they use programmable key cards. She offered me some bad photos taken 6 months ago as evidence of how clean the rooms were. No thanks.

• Stayed November 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
LewisHotelsColorado, Vice President of Operations - Lewis Hotels at University Inn, responded to this review, December 22, 2007
Greetings from Colorado. I apologize to "foq" for any miscommunication during the recent stop at the University Inn in Boulder, Colorado. I have sent direct communication. I don't know when this guest stopped by but I can only assume it was at a time when the deck cleark could not leave the front desk. I'm sure they would have found the rooms to be clean, warm and comfortable. Regarding the room photos...they are current...I will reveiw to insure they are the best representation for our guests. Thank you for the opportunity to respond.
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2007

I recently stayed for several days at the quaint University Inn Hotel, near the hill and campus area, in Boulder, Colorado. WHAT A PLEASANT DISCOVERY!! It's a small property, near everything that's Boulder and CU. The staff is remarkably helpful...the accomodations are warm, comfortable and clean.
My husband and I walked to an area called, the hill and ate at a very 60's hangout called, The Sink. GREAT FUN, GREAT FOOD, GREAT PEOPLE!!
The Pearl Street Mall was also within walking distance. We went there day and night. Lots of fun and so VERY Boulder. Although I'm from the midwest, I feel I've become a "crunchy granola", too.

The hotel does not have a restaurant but provides a great continental breakfast. There are plenty of other restaurants very close for other meals.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Palo Alto, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2007

Based on some Trip Advisor reviews as well as a university rate, we booked a room here for a 4 night stay in Boulder. I'll just break it down to keep things simple:

Cleanliness - 3/5 There was a cigarette butt in our toilet when we checked in. Everything else seemed relatively clean. Sheets and pillows were old, but clean.

Comfort - 2/5 The heater blows air directly at bed/face level and much too close for comfort. It was very hard to regulate the temperature in the room. Also, the "queen size" beds which the owners swear are indeed queen size, are not the same size as my queen size bed at home. Maybe in 1950 these were queens, but they are not anymore. They are Full at best. Pillows were clumpy and hard and probably from 1950 too. To settle this discrepancy, maybe the owners could take picture with a tape measure!

Noise - We didn't experience a problem from noisy people, tvs, or voices but the hotel itself is noisy - creaks, squeaks, and garbage trucks. We were woken up at 1AM when a late check in arrived in the room above us. But, to be fair, the guest wasn't loud - the floors were. Squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, and then finally quiet.. .only to be interrupted again at 6AM with a garbage truck followed 15 minutes later by the recycling truck. This happened on our 3rd night and was the last straw. After not getting one really good night's sleep, we checked out and changed hotels for our last night.

Convenience - 4/5 Walking distance to the campus, Pearl Street, and Boulder Creek. But, if you have a car, parking is plentiful - stay somewhere else. Rates are some of the cheapest for a downtown location, but for us, the savings wasn't worth the other hassles.

We moved to the Best Western Boulder at 28th & Baseline. The price was the same and the king bed was HUGE! It was also relatively quiet and provided 4 pillows for us to choose from. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2007

Stayed here on business because this was the only place that had rooms at my employer's per diem rate. The hotel has been updated and looks nice enough for an old-fashioned motor court type motel. It was basic but clean. The front desk staff was pleasant.

However: The wall, and floors are paper thin and this hotel seems to be a gathering point for young people and their sweeties. When the couple in the room above me began to engage in vigorous amorous activity, I was horrified to find that I could hear all of it quite clearly. I might as well have been in the room - there was so little privacy. When they finally collapsed into an exhausted slumber, somebody in another room started in. Slightly less audible, but definitely noticeable.

I fled the next morning. I've stayed in some pretty sketchy places but never anything quite as bad as this.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to University Inn? Share your experiences!