“Another stay at the University Inn” 4 of 5 stars

University Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1632 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80302   |
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Boulder
NE
“Another stay at the University Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Although not much has changed at the University Inn since my last review in Aug 2011, I did want to make note that upon the manager's post/comment to my review, when making reservations I requested a refrigerator for our 8 night stay. Luckily this request was granted. I was told upon check in that there are 4 refrigerators on site and are available as first come first serve. It was nice to not have to keep a cooler stocked with ice, especially since most days during our stay were over 90 degrees!

As always, we found the rooms clean and comfortable and the staff friendly and accommodating. Not quite 5 star. Not yet anyway!

In the lobby is a poster board display of the renovations & remodeling that is going to take place at the hotel. I was told that the project will be done in 3 phases, with the first phase starting late October and the hotel will remain open during the renovations. I was also told that all rooms/bathrooms will be redone top to bottom. Double/full size beds will be replaced with queen size, giving guests the option of queen or king bedding. I believe all tv's will be replaced with flat screens as well. The lobby/breakfast area will also be redone and a new privacy wall will be built around the pool. The exterior of the building has what appears to me to be the typical look of other Boulder stone front buildings. Based on the photos, the exterior and interior changes look very nice!

I look forward to seeing/experiencing the changes on my next visit to town.

Mare

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
BoulderCreek, General Manager at University Inn, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
We are so thrilled that you chose to stay with us again. We too are very excited for our upcoming renovation which is now scheduled to begin in January 2013. We hope to see again if your travels bring you back to Boulder.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

This is not a fancy place - but it's clean and quiet. Walking distance to Pearl Street Mall and the university. The creek runs behind the inn, and you can see the Flatirons from the parking lot. The free wi-fi was very fast, and the continental breakfast was fine. For less than $100 including tax per night in late July, it was definitely a bargain and I'd stay there again any time.

There is a grocery store called 'Alfalfa's' across the street that has excellent produce and a lot of varieties of healthy take out food. The Boulder Farmer's Market on Wednesdays is only .5 block away from the inn, and it's excellent.

The only negative I can think of is that there were very few electrical outlets in the room I was in.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Royal Oak, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Tip: prepay online and the low rate is even better. As many of the other reviews state, this is not the fanciest of hotels, but we found it to be clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The free bike rentals were perfect and a nice advantage. We stayed here a few nights before switching to the hotel where a family wedding was being held in town. The free internet, free breakfast, free bike rentals, great location and great rate, in my opinion, out weight the fact that it is not as fancy as some of the other hotels I have stayed in. We stayed on the 1st floor and did not experience any problems with noise at night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I stayed at the University Inn for a long weekend during Boulder Creek Fest. It is in a perfect location, close to downtown Boulder. Nothing fancy here but the price is right. Free wifi & continental breakfast. Friendly & helpful staff. I recommend it if you are looking for basic lodging in downtown Boulder.

Room Tip: I suggest you select a room on the second floor because the floors tend to creak.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

Other reviews led me to choose university inn. People said no frills...they were not kidding. I could tolerate this old school inn but my brother freaked out because it wasn't anything close to a national chain. It appears it attracts some questionable guests (like the hippie dancing in front of my car as soon as I pulled in) but I also saw some nice husband and wife couples just trying to save some money in Colorado. The pool was murky. I would have been very disappointed if I had children with me.

• Stayed June 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

The inn is on par with a standard chain hotel. But it felt like it hasn't been refurbished in quite sometime. It was clean though, and we had a nice stay as we weren't there to spend a lot of time in the room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
La Jolla, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

We stayed here just one night instead of two because we needed to be in Ft. Collins a day earlier but this was a well placed hotel with the Pearl Street mall just a couple of blocks walk away. Room was clean and pretty quiet; we were in the 2nd floor back, so there was a bit of noise from the bike path and school. No real problem though. The breakfast was truly continental and we went out for more breakfast later. Alfalfa's across the street is a good place for a quick breakfast snack. Staff very friendly.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to University Inn? Share your experiences!