“A great alternative to Boulder hotels.” 5 of 5 stars

Boulder Twin Lakes Inn
6485 Twin Lakes Rd, Boulder, CO 80301 (Formerly Sandy Point Inn)   |
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Boulder
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“A great alternative to Boulder hotels.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Just minutes from Boulder, this hotel is a welcoming and relaxing alternative (aka "respite") to "usual" hotels The setting is serene. The management is exceptionally welcoming and accommodating. Their utmost goal is that guests have a positive experience. While this hotel attracts athletes (the owners are former Olympians),it is equally comfortable the "non athletically inclined" , The rooms have great beds, a couch, microwave and mini frig. Additionally the facility is very clean, If, however,you are into luxury, this might not your place (see website for photos) Overall I think this is a GREAT find. You will be well taken care of during your stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Windsor, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I saw several good reviews for this place and took a chance. I arrived late 8:30pm at this apartment/dorm style hotel and as expected there was no staff at front desk. I called contact # on the outside phone to gain access and obtained the "old fashioned key" from an envelope in the basket on the lobby desk. The room ( 201 ) was a mess; dirty carpet, bathtub ring, toenail clippings on the floor next to bed, broken kitchenette cabinets, and worst of all stains and hair on the sheets!
My kids refused to step into the room, my wife cried, and we left after I phoned the desk/contact to inform them I would not be checking in and would not be staying. The hotel person said I would have to contact EXPEDIA for a refund. Which I did. EXPEDIA did refund the full price after I called them (before midnight on the day of check-in )

The hotel person on the phone told me there had been a "cleaning staff problem that day" and to his credit he did offer to come and clean the room, but I refused since it was 9pm.

In general the hotel was old/shoddy looking ( reminded me of my dorm in college 25+ years ago, minus the beer cans! ) The hotel seems to cater to "runners and athletes" since there many pictures of runners on every hallway wall, and I believe the "owners" are themselves former Olympic runners (from NEW Zealand?)

If the price had been closer to $40 instead of the $110 ( and if I was not with my family) I might have been able to overlook the old worn carpet and furniture. But the bed sheet stains (drool?) and uncleaned room bathtub and carpet were a deal breaker.

If you are a runner and want to stay with other like minded runners for a "place to crash" and don't care about cleanliness then this might suit you, but otherwise do as I did and
...RUN RUN RUN AWAY.

I ended up staying at the BOULDER HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS for $120 (only $10 more than this disaster of a hotel )

Room Tip: choose other accommodations
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
BineshPrasad, Owner at Boulder Twin Lakes Inn, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
I checked the room personally and there was nothing wrong with the room. The rates are always different on various websites. This was a very busy weekend and I could not offer any other choice of rooms for this night.
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

boulder Twin Lakes Inn was clean, simple, cheap and just what we needed after 5 days backpacking. We did not attend the breakfast. Short drive over to Peal Street for dinner and entertainment. I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

We stayed last summer and I have been meaning to write this review for sometime. This is a great place to stay; nice rooms, quiet location near walking/running path; good breakfast-love the scones; staff friendly. Looking forward to our stay in October.

• Stayed September 2011
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

This is a quirky hotel as another reviewer mentioned, but it is clean, quiet, with gererous sized rooms and a great value and location. Comfortable beds, updated bathroom - loved the water saving options on the toilet :) The staff is friendly and helpful, when you are able to find them.

We had a corner unit on the 1st floor - the flat screen TV provided great Olympics viewing at night, and we were less than 10 minutes from the Pearl Street Mall. Never used the hot tub. My husband and teenage son had great running from the hotel.

There was a large (10−15?) Japanese running group staying there, and when I went to put our ice block into the upstairs kitchen freezer, I was pretty surprised by the strong smells of the food being cooked for them: this might have been problematic if our room was upstairs as it permeated the whole hallway.

Breakfast was somewhat disappointing: coffee wasn't ready either morning at 7, there was no fresh fruit excpet bananas, the juice ran out by 7:10 AM and was not readily replaced. However they had great mini-oat/berry scones, some mini cinnamon rolls that our teenagers seemed to enjoy, as well as cereals, peanut butter, teas, and oatmeal. It was sufficient for our needs.

Room Tip: We loved our corner room on the lower level - spacious with 2 queens, a sofa, a table & chairs...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I can't say enough about this cute little hotel. If you like to feel like you are in a home environment, this hotel is for you. We arrived quite early for check in, not expecting to be able to get into our room at all. To our surprise they accomodated us with out thinking twice. We were directed to our cool, (it had been 100 degrees that day) clean, nice size room. bonus was the refrigerator in the room.
I paid cash for the room and the credit card that I used to hold the room was credit back very quickly. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Boulder, Co
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

I had the oportunity to stay with these folks at Boulder Twin Lakes, a few months ago. I just wanted to say that the location, continental breakfast, the rooms and more importantly the front desk staff made this an amzing business trip for me. I would highly recommend this Hotel for a nice family atmosphere with great amenities, and at competitive prices as well.

-Robert Marsden

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to Boulder Twin Lakes Inn? Share your experiences!