“Not worth the $$” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Boulder
Sarasota, Florida
“Not worth the $$”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed here over the weekend and the hotel was rather expensive for what we got. We did get an updated single room, which I would say was TINY! There was barely anywhere to walk in the room other than the floor space in the hallway closet. The room was very clean and the staff friendly. There was a great park behind the hotel where I enjoyed a beer and my book. There was a bar/nightclub in the lobby and we went there after dinner. The drinks were OUTRAGEOUS! I would not stay here again. The location was very close to the University and most of the things we wanted to do in Boulder.

Room Tip: pick an updated room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank JustHavingFun11
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the to tell us about your experience with your stay. I was please to read that you believed our staff was friendly and that your room was very clean. I am also hapy to hear that you were able to relax ourside in our gardens and enjoy yourself. I would agree with you that our location is ideal, very close to the University and many of the things that our guests want to do in Boulder. Our rooms range from 350 sq feet to well over 1,000 sq feet. with only 4 being at the smallest footage. We fill those 4 rooms last when we are at full capacity. Next time you are in town, I would ask that you reach out and we'll make sure you get a nice large comfortable room with plenty of walking space.

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

After reading the bad reviews on trip advisor, I was worried about our stay at this property. At check in, I asked if we could get a renovated room and the request was granted. The room itself was great - modern, comfortable bed, nice bathroom amenities. We had a city view, but could still see some of the mountains. Yes, the public spaces of the hotel are dated, but they are working on it. I think if you go in with the right expectations, you can have a nice stay at the Harvest House. Here's a breakdown of the good and bad...

Pros:
Renovated rooms are nice
Ample free parking
Hotel offered a reasonably priced shuttle to Pearl Street and the drivers were very nice, offering suggestions on spots to check out.
Very friendly staff
Pretty area in the back of the hotel to sit outside and enjoy a drink
Good location

Cons:
Slamming doors. When the room doors close - it's VERY loud. Woken up every morning by slamming doors. Not pleasant.
House keeping. We keep the Do Not Disturb sign up all the time in every hotel we go to. The staff here decided to go in our room anyway. (The sign is one you stick in the room key slot, so it's not like they missed seeing it.) Did not appreciate that at all. And, all they did was rearrange the pillows and fold our towels differently - - no replenishing of the toiletries, emptying the garbage, etc... Also there were 2 vacuums in the hallway right by the elevator everyday and a large stack of dirty towels piled up at the end of the hallway.
Value. I think for what is essentially a 3 star property - that is not in its prime - this hotel is over priced.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsMoFe
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us at The Millennium Harvest House in Boulder. The vast majority of our guests state a very similar statement as yourself. after reading bad reviews on trip advisor, I was worried BUT therer was no reason to be and everything was great, thank you. It is not an uncommon theme. So happy to hear you thought our room was GREAT. I think you hit the pros of our hotel right on the head. Thank you for stating such. I will say on your cons and slamming doors, we are in the process of working on a dampering system to reduce the noise the doors make when closed. I hope on your next visit you will see a vast improvement.
Albany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I stayed here for a conference on campus for two nights. Our room was in one of the side wings past the pool. As others have noted, you have to walk a bit. The signage in the hallways can use some updates/additions, as the elevator we were directed to was not in service, so we had to do some backtracking. We thought more signs in general, even temporary ones, would be helpful for weary travelers trudging off to their respective wings, as we became uncertain at various points whether we'd missed a turn. Our room was fine space-wise. It was not fully renovated, but if the bathroom was a bit worn, it wasn't decrepit or anything. The beds were clean and comfortable, that's what we cared about most. One odd thing was that the work desk lamp (which has the outlets) was located on the other side of the TV instead of next to the work desk space, so it necessitated some odd cord-wrangling. Also, our room had one of those doors that lead to an adjoining room. It compromised sound insulation, so we could definitely hear each other talking. Fortunately, neither us nor our neighbors were TV watchers, so we presumably didn't impact each other's sleep cycle. Being at a conference and all, we didn't spend a whole lot of time in our room anyway so it ultimately wasn't a big deal. Others may want to ensure that their room doesn't have one of those doors. The free breakfast was fine. Served in the garden under a giant gazebo structure, it's a nice way to start the day. The $10 shuttle is not worth it for most downtown destinations, in my opinion. The front desk (or yourself) can call a cab and they arrive fairly quickly (in my experience, usually within 10min)--apparently there is some Uber competition, so they might be more sensitive about timeliness here. Once the hotel shuttle's gone off on a jaunt, you don't know when it'll be back next (the staff will inform you ~20min, but that's not always true), so just take a taxi instead of waiting around first to see if it'll come back early and wasting time like I did. The taxi fares to downtown locations were <$10 every time, but your mileage may vary. The staff were competent and helpful when they assisted us with meeting arcane requirements for conference reimbursements, and they remained composed when the lobby turned into a zoo the last day of the conference as everyone left for the airport.

Room Tip: Check if your room has a door leading to another room, as this compromises noise insulation.
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank E S
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you for your words about your stay at our hotel and pointing out some very valid thoughts and ideas on what we can do to make our guests visit with us more enjoyable. I appreciate your words on how it can be difficult navigating one's way through our hotel. It can be dizzying at times. We are currently putting together a comprehesive signage package to assist in directing guest throughout the hotel.

Thank you for pointing out the clean comfortable beds and spacious rooms and that our staff were helpful and competent.
New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

The cost for 2 nights at this hotel was over three hundred dollars and it's not worth it. Yes, there's a pool and hot tub, but it's not ever cleaned, as far as I could tell. The ceiling in the bathroom was leaking from the toilet in the room above ours - gross! The bed was clean and comfortable, but the hotel is so out-dated, I just don't understand how they can charge that much. The drinks in the hotel bar are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced! I probably will not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank tatcorp42
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you for visiting our hotel. I am sorry you thought we were over priced. In the community we are a very reasonably priced hotel. I see that you visited us in our busy season, July and paid over $300 for two nights. All the FULL SERVICE hotels in the city of Boulder charge over $229 per night for the month of July. Our typical beer runs from $4 to $6 dollars and our wines run from $7 a glass up tll $15 a glass. Again, a very reaonsable price for alcohol in any bar in the community. Visitor Tip: You can ususally get a really nice deal visiting with us from November to February. I would encourage you to visit us during that wonderful time of year. I am glad to see you felt our bedrooms were clean and comfortable and appreciate your stay with us.

Travelers are raving about these Boulder hotels

Passaic, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Stayed here for a conference and I got a room that was already renovated making it a very nice stay. Room was comfy, staff were very helpful, the hotel grounds were beautiful, and there are lots of sports facilities on site as well as a walking path along a picturesque creek just behind the hotel.

Overall, a really nice place.

• 4 of 5 stars
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to jot down a few words for out hotel. We are happy to read that you believe we have a really nice place. We cant agree with you more. I see you were here for a conference. We get a lot of meetings, weddings, banquets and conferences at our hotel. With over 18,000 square feet of meeting space the Harvest House boasts the largest conference space in the city of Boulder. And that is not including our 30,000 square foot tennis bubble in the winter that we can host expositions in!! We look forward to your return.
Ann Arbor
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I was booked here for 5 nights to attend a conference in Boulder. Reading the reviews before I left had me quaking about what I might find. I tried to get in a main tower room as recommended, but ended up in the other tower (south tower?) because they were booked solid. I have to say that my king room was huge and looked to be mid-way through the renovation. That is, the furniture was some of the new stuff but the walls carpet, bath. etc. were still in need. My AC unit was very noisy and sounded like something was loose inside. Tall guys be warned- the shower head comes out of the wall at about chest level. Some of my colleagues had really bad rooms in the "sports center" which apparently smelled like mildew. One person had to switch rooms due to their mold allergy. Yuck. The main tower rooms apparently have small refrigerators, but I was told it would be $10/day to have one in my room. That said, they appear to be working hard to upgrade things. We had to scoot past dry wall installers and painters along the main hallway.

The breakfast served each day was fine, but I wouldn't say the staff were particularly friendly. When I asked for a spoon on day 2, I was unhelpfully informed that "they are right where they were yesterday..." (Yes, but I didn't need one yesterday.) I don't know the standard procedure for using their shuttle locally, but I was told it would take me up to campus-- for $10 (!). The hotel is located RIGHT NEXT to campus...I usually walked but was late one morning. Also, when they are busy, there is absolutely no negotiating a late check-out. You can stay until noon, which is comparatively generous, but all keys expire then so you can't get back in if you try to fudge things by a few minutes or more.

The location is great; the back of the hotel runs right along the creek trail. Next to campus as I said, but also very near a large shopping center and lots of fast and inexpensive places to eat. The lobby looks out on the back of a Safeway (!) that has a Starbucks inside. Note that if you're lucky enough to have a fridge in your room, you can buy beer at the Safeway. To get wine or alcohol, you have walk down to the bottle shop in the strip mall next door. Bottom line- ask about the state of renovations when you book and insist on being guaranteed a refurbished room.

Room Tip: Insist on a renovated room.
3 Thank A2Steph
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Hi there and thank you for taking the time to write a review of our beloved Harvest House Hotel. Thank you especially for noticing that we are working very hard to make many wonderful upgrades to our hotel. I'm glad you liked your "huge" room Some of the rooms in our hotel are larger than a few of my apartments in when I lived in Manhattan. They are quite spacious. We do try to inform all guests when joining us about our state of renovations as we are continually making those changes that can effect different areas of the hotel. Well, thanks again for your visit and have a wonderful day.
Boulder
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

After a day of water rafting and horseback riding, my friend and I were happy to finally get to the hotel to relax. When we pulled up we found the parking easily. We grabbed all of our stuff out of the car. It wasn't until we approached the front door where we were greeted with an overflowing trash can and a huge blue dumpster with graffiti all over it which smelled absolutely horrid. We went inside and the women at the front desk checked us in then told us we should either put all of our stuff back in the car and drive around the building. We elected to walk instead. BAD idea! We walked past the blue dumpster in addition to I don't know how many others. The scent was putrid! We walk into the "back door" that we were told to walk through. There was dirt all over the place. The rugs in the entrance way, elevator, the halls, and the room were disgusting! As we walked past a few tumbleweeds of dust, we knew they were not vacuumed in months. We got into the room and there was dust in every nook and cranny in addition to pubic hairs left in the bathroom.

We called the front desk to exchange the room as it was unacceptable. We were told we needed to pay $30 extra per night because we had to upgrade if we wanted another room (sleep in filth or pay). We agreed and moved our room to the main building. We were told by staff that the reason for the problems stated above was because the hotel was old. We got to the room and set our luggage down after it passed our inspection. However, we were not told it would be a "TV free" zone. Since we have not experienced this in our travels and this was not communicated, we called to verify. They told us we could walk past the dumpsters again to another room or they would deduct the $30 per night. Overall, the experience sucked. I would never stay at this hotel again. The advice I would give management is 1) CLEAN, 2) perform spot checks to ensure responsibilities are being fulfilled, 3) train staff in customer service, 4) make the entry more appealing (the trash needs to be removed ASAP), 5) if the customer needs to walk far to their room offer to help with their luggage, and 6) eliminate excuses ("the hotel is old" will not win over a customer).

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Random0987
Marty R, General Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. If I may, I'd like to address some of your concerns. There is in fact a blue dumpster on the side of our building as this is what the roofers are using as we are excited to report that we are either repairing or replacing the roof on our hotel. it is an incredible process how the team removes the old roof and hauls up the supplies for the new roof. In any case, we are very happy to report that is just one of the many upgrades to our hotel. And yes, we do have 7 "TV Free Zone" rooms. We get an increasing number of guest over the past few years that want nothing to do with a TV or the potential "noise pollution machine" as some have called it. Typically our staff notifies a guest if they are being moved into one of those select rooms and typically we only move people into those rooms if we are otherwise sold out. Which could be very possible as we have been the last few days. I do apologize if you were not informed as our staff historicaly does a very good job in communicating wiht our guests. Lastly, when The Harvest House was originally built it wa 4 separate buildings. Back in the 70's the hotel went through a major renovation where they connected all of the wings. Hence why there is a distance to travel at times to our different wings but they are all reachable via hallways through the hotel and no need to go outside if one did not want to. I see that you've traveled all the way from Boulder to stay with us. I would ask that next time you are in town just swing by and see all the wonderful changes that we've made.