“Very convenience to CU-Boulder, dated but clean” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1345 28th Street, Boulder, CO 80302   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Boulder
Pennsylvania, USA
“Very convenience to CU-Boulder, dated but clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed here when visiting CU-Boulder. We booked here as we liked the idea of walking to the campus, and it really was a great asset.

The hotel lobby/restaurant area is renovated and makes you think the rest of the hotel looks newer, but it doesn't. Hotel is dated but clean. Our room, in the South Wing, was big and clean. The shower head was low, which I did not notice but my taller child did.

We checked in and took a walk. Behind the hotel is the Boulder Creek and an Observatory. The glass is filthy and we could not see a thing. I believe the Observatory is part of the hotel.

Our beds were quite comfortable, and it was nice having a mini (very mini) balcony. We could just step out--barely--but it was nice to feel the temp in the morning.

Saturday night the nightclub was busy. We did not go, just heard the music...very loud. We did not hear it in our room, but around midnight we heard loud talking. There had been a wedding at the hotel that evening (outdoors, we could watch it!), and it may have been the wedding party.

The staff with whom we dealt, which was just front desk staff, was exceptionally nice, and Scott at the front desk was quite helpful, on the phone in advance of our arrival, as well as when we were there.

We would stay there again, mostly for the convenience.

Pros:
Walking distance to campus and stores
Boulder Creek right there, with walkway/bikeway
Clean
Nice staff
Quiet Friday night

Cons:
Dated
Low shower head
Observatory dirty.
Noise Saturday night

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the nightclub, on a Saturday night at least!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Boerne, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This was probably a nice hotel in the 1970’s when it was last updated. Came to look at Univ. of CO with my daughter. Chose it because you can walk to campus, didn’t want to hassle with driving from hotel and parking on campus. It as a pretty long walk but OK in good weather, about a half mile. That was the only positive.

Made reservations a couple weeks ago. Realized a few days before trip that the university has a discount. Called the hotel to see if I can apply discount to my room. ($110 vs. $130 per night, 2 nights.) No, discount only applies to regular rooms and I have a “supreme” room. What’s the difference? “Supreme has a balcony and view of the mountains, the other rooms look out over the parking lot.” (Also supreme has internet included whereas regular you have to pay $10/night of stay for internet access.) OK, not a problem I thought.

There is a sliding door in our room but the “balcony” extends out about one foot so it’s more realistic to say you have a big sliding door to open, I sure wouldn’t call that a balcony. (On the one foot of “balcony” was a melted carton of ice cream and some shopping bags, apparently from a previous occupant.) The “view” is just a smaller section of the parking lot, the tennis courts, and the back of a Safeway. Yes, I can see the mountains above the Safeway but seriously they are certainly not the focal point and I wouldn’t spend extra money for this.

Other items:
OK with respect to cleanliness
bathroom fixtures/shower very outdated
no fridge, microwave, or minibar
room service very slow, they kept telling us “in a few more minutes”, it was at least an hour
hot shower water turned cold this morning after a few minutes
in room entertainment: $17.99 for a movie! seriously? I accidentally clicked on a one hour TV show.....cost me $4.99

This hotel is very outdated and who charges for internet anymore? I got my bill under the door this morning.....got charged $20 for internet despite my “supreme room” status. Had to call and get the charge removed.

I think the owners of this hotel are just riding it out until people stop booking rooms, don’t plan to put any money into it. At some point someone will just buy this very valuable land and build a new hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. If you must stay here don't pay for "premium" room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Michael P, Front Office Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. As you've mentioned, we are an older hotel surrounded by 16 acres of beautiful landscape facing the Boulder Flatirons and just minutes away from the University of Colorado, Boulder.

Please know we do offer a discounted rate for CU parents which is called the "CU debt relief" program. You may contact our reservations department at 303-998-3826 should you wish to register for this program. We do honor room reservations but not necessarily room types unless we have the availability.

Please know that we appreciate your feedback both positive and negative and it will be used as a training tool to further implement training to our newer staff.

Ocean Pines, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I hadnt stayed at the Millenium Hotel for about 5 years and found nothing much had changed.
The Good: Good location, clean room
Not So Good: Very outdated rooms without the expected features of a modern hotel room.

The Hotel is located in the middle of Boulder on 28th and Araphoe, a good location with lots of stores and restaurants nearby. When you go into the lobby, it really looks great as it has been remodeled. The rooms are another story--instead of dressers there is a built in wooden cabinet with shelves. The TV is old style, no flat screen. The carpet and furnishings look like they have been there for years--plaid carpeting, scraped walls. The easy chair, a room staple to sit in to watch television or relax is a wooden desk chair with a pillow (see picture).The bathroom is tiny, hard to turn around in and two people can't be in there at the same time.

However everything is clean and the bed is comfortable but the pillows could be better.

The location and cleanness and the good price rated an "average" rating but I will not likely be back.

Room Tip: If you stay there, stay in the main building, not the annex
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience at the Millennium Harvest House, Boulder and for pointing out the inefficient storage area and the uncomfortable television chair during your stay with us.

We appreciate your astute and insightful comments about the design features and will retain your correspondence as testimony to keep our guests in mind should we re-design or renovate.

Please know that our new management team are taking the extra steps necessary to look at re-designing and renovating where we can to keep our guests' , the end user in mind. Like the lobby area that was just recently completed.

Freeport, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Used to live in Boulder in the 70s, and remember the Harvest House as quite the place to be. That being said, I feel that the best days of the Harvest House are behind her, but she still provided a nice, clean, place to put my head on a pillow for several nights.

I read the other reviews after I'd already made my reservations (unexpected and quickly planned trip to Boulder), and was a bit nervous as to what I was going to find once I arrived. However, I was not disappointed.

The front desk staff was very accommodating; I arrived quite early from my morning flight into Denver (around 10:30 am), but decided that I'd stop in anyway to see if I could check in. The desk staff said that early check-in was available for Millennium Club members only; however, joining the club was free, and I was able to check into my king size room quite early...a big plus.

The bed was comfortable and clean, as were the pillows. The room was vacuumed each day, and all things tidied up nicely upon my return. I wish there would've been a refrigerator in my room, or at least a working ice machine on the fourth floor, but the walk down to the third floor machine was short enough.

If you're a runner or a bicyclist, the best part of this place is it's location next to the Boulder Creek Path. Every morning was a great experience on the BCP, running to chase the setting moon behind the Flatirons, and then running back down the gentle slope back to the Harvest House. The BCP is part of an incredible trail system that Boulder has. Check it out on the map...a must if you're into fitness!

I remember all the big doings at the Harvest House as a kid in Boulder, and I'm glad I got the chance to stay there during this visit. The way Boulder is building and growing, I'm not sure how much longer this prime piece of real estate will remain with this ol' building.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Sir

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your wonderful experience during your stay at the Millennium Harvest House, Boulder.

Our team works diligently to create a memorable experience for our guests and it is encouraging to get positive feedback such as those you have provided. Yes, you are correct in mentioning that our property sits on 16 acres of beautiful land surrounded by beautiful landscapes and right next to the Boulder Creek Path.

You'll be happy to know that we still provide memorable experiences at the Harvest House with lots of fun activity such as summer festivals and Saturday Afternoon Clubs ( CU home football ) games in our gardens during the football season. In addition, we have taken strides to renovate our bars for our guests' enjoyment.

Please pay us a visit the next time you are in Boulder

2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

Holy disappointment. Pulled into parking lot and thought I had been transported to to the 70s. Lobby has been redone, but rooms and pool are totally trashed. Nasty old beds and stained pillows. Pool is a great size but crumbling. Location is the best part. Desk service was very good. Maids need to actually clean the coffee cups instead of half wiping them.

• Stayed March 2013
Michael P, Front Office Manager at Millennium Harvest House, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
We are in receipt of your correspondence regarding your overall stay at the Millennium Harvest House, Boulder. We strive daily to accommodate our guests' needs and was extremely dissappointed to hear we did not meet nor exceed your expectaions throughout your stay.

A written apology may not change your experience but we hope you feel confident that we've your concerns and it will be utilized as a training tool to further implement ongoing training in the areas you found lacking

We realize you have many options to choose from when staying in the Boulder area. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and certainly hope you do not experience the issues you were faced with the next time you stay with us.

Lakewood, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I booked two nights at this hotel this past weekend as a surprise getaway for my husband and I. I will preface by saying I did take advantage of a fantastic $52.80/night "Mile High" promotion, so we were getting a very good deal price-wise. I read all the negative reviews online and started to get very nervous. However, we were very pleasantly surprised by what we got. Although it is definitely true that elements of the hotel structure are dated, in our room at least we felt they had done a good job of renovating surface elements and decorating the room with a nice ambiance (definitely better than a Motel 6 quality as some reviewers asserted!). Everything seemed clean and orderly. We were personally extremely pleased with the firmness of the bed; it's the first time in a while that we have traveled and not woken up with a backache from a too-soft hotel bed. We also loved the big window and heavy curtains, enabling us to both have a room beautifully lit with natural light in the day time, and near-total darkness at night. The tv certainly is dated, although my husband and I don't generally utilize the tv when we travel so it didn't affect us much. The grounds were beautiful, and the location was great, a very easy and quick drive to Pearl Street and other Boulder locations. The internet situation definitely needs improvement; in this day and age I think it is kind of outrageous to charge for internet use in the lobby business center. I had overheard a man being told at check-in that in room wi-fi was included in his stay but we were unable to verify for ourselves whether they charge for wi-fi or not as the router in our part of the hotel was experiencing technical difficulties. We overall found the front desk staff very helpful and friendly; we were offered a new room when we asked about the router issue (we declined) and told we could always use the complimentary wi-fi lobby (we did, also the free wi-fi range extends to the bar so one evening we sat in the bar with our laptop to check e-mail while enjoying drinks). Another front desk staff member gave us a great recommendation for a breakfast burrito place in walking distance that we loved. The only downside is they indeed do not offer complimentary toiletries as many hotels/motels do, but referred my husband to Safeway when he asked if they had any shaving cream since he neglected to pack it.

Overall, we were pleased with the hotel. I can see the justification behind a couple of the complaints such as the internet situation, but we both agreed that it definitely felt like a much nicer place to stay than a Motel 6 or La Quinta level hotel, and especially at the price we paid we were extremely satisfied with our visit.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor of the South Tower--quiet, clean and peaceful!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your positive comments regarding the hotel's ambience, cleanliness, quietude and comfort of your room during your stay at the Millenium Harvest House, Boulder.

You mentioned the inaccessbility of free high speed internet access at the hotel. We do provide free access in the lobby and restaurant area. Regrettably, not in our business center.

We certainly appreciate your kind comments and choosing the Millennium Harvest House, Boulder for your choice of stay and ask that you consider us again, should your travels bring you to the Boulder area again.

We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future

Sincerely.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed here for a friend's wedding that was taking place at the hotel. It was pretty unremarkable. Not super nice, but not bad either. The location is close to downtown and to the flatirons, making it good for checking out the local offerings. The bar was deserted both times we went, but since we were a large group it wasn't a problem. The restaurant had a good, though, expensive breakfast. Rooms were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for taking the time to express your feedback regarding your stay at the Millennium Harvest House, Boulder.

Our team works very hard to create a memorable experience for our guests and it is encouraging to receive feedback such as the ones you have provided.

Feedback such as yours are an intergral part of our daily operation to continue our positive trends and and reverse the concerns we need to work on.

We realize our guests' have several options to choose from when lodging in the Boulder area. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Sincerely

Been to Millennium Harvest House? Share your experiences!