“Needs updated” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Boulder
Mankato
“Needs updated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Boulder hotels are very expensive and we were just looking for a place to sleep for the night. The hotel was hard to find and is also known as The Broker Hotel.

The building was probably a gem in its day. The bones are there but it is so old and not kept up. It is a shame since you can see the grandeur that is no longer there. With the location to campus I think visiting parents would LOVE to stay here if it was updated/refurbished.

One of the beds was so broken in that my husband was swallowed in it. He slept with pillows under his butt and back to try to prop him up. Had we not checked in so late we would have asked for a change.

I am sure it is expensive to update but with a "little" money this hotel could be really nice and with a nice investment it could be grand.

Will look elsewhere next time we are in Boulder.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

My original plan was to camp in or just outside boulder, and was saddened to learn that not only is there no camping in the area, but all the hotels are very expensive (I'm more of a super 8/ Day's Inn type). This place was the cheapest option available, and I booked here at the last minute. The people at the front desk were nice (they even price matched the orbitz.com price for me over the phone), the room was clean and quiet (it looked like it was decorated by somebody's grandpa, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing), and the wifi worked as it should, albeit somewhat slowly (was getting a bit over 1 mb/s download speed). The continental breakfast was slightly underwhelming (the pastries all looked like they could have come from a vending machine), but at least there were healthy options, like granola and fruit. If I had to overpay for a hotel in Boulder again, I would stay here without hesitation.

Basehor, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

The people where very nice! The rooms where nice. the beds where comfortable, but the air conditioner the clock the bathroom needs to be upgrade! The Bathroom was clean. They did our beds everyday. I will stay there again!

Room Tip: If you need to go anywhere out to eat everything was close by! Shopping stores too!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights. Room smelt of cigarette smoke, despite it being a non-smoking room. No window to open. Upon leaving, I accidentally left behind a small portable speaker. I rang the reception staff upon realising this a few hours later. They said they will check with the housekeeping staff and ring me back. However they didnt keep their word. I rang again 2 days later, and spoke to a different receptionist. They told the housekeeping staff were too "busy" for him to talk to them. I rang back half hour later, and he was still extremely unhelpful. I then drove all the way to the property, and spoke to the housekeeping staff myself, who looked in the lost and found cupboard, but were still unable to locate my item. They refused to let me check the room myself to see if it was still there.

Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

My husband booked this hotel for four nights, and after reading the reviews, I was quite afraid it could be a bad experience. Not at all. We were assigned a room on the fourth floor, on the corner, which worked very nicely. I believe that they don't place families with little ones on the fourth floor, as this was really quiet. Our window looked at the back street and Dark Horse bar. We slept very well. Beds were very comfortable, and also the pillows. Room had old type furniture and old tv, but it was very clean. Be aware that this hotel was the Broker Inn, and you will see that name on the building. Despite the age of the building and installation, everything worked very well. First floor carpet could take a good cleaning or total replacement. The breakfast, which is included, is just continental. Nothing to die for. Fortunately McDonnalds is at walking distance, and you have a variety of choices from coffee to food. The housekeeping is not very efficient, as I noticed they never cleaned the coffeemaker. Wifi worked very well all four days for me. Despite the fact that reviews make repeated mentions to safety, we didn't witness any unsafe act of suspicious people. We felt pretty safe in the hotel. I guess is a good value for the price you pay.

Room Tip: Go for the third or fourth floor as they are more quiet and stay away from the pool.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Nice hotel. Near everything. First night our AC wasn't cooling and I notified front desk at 11pm.
Next day Louis came and check it and told us it was on the fritz and they will move us which they did. WIll stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I am a regular business traveler for many years. I have never left a hotel because of concern for my family's safety. However, suspicious people hanging outside the hotel, blood stains in the stairwell, unsecured exit doors and a police car circling the parking lot, made it impossible to feel comfortable. Not to mention, our room smelled so strongly of chlorine that it burned our eyes, the bathroom had a hair trap in the bathtub shower that made me gag, the beds were sagging and the bedding looked as old as the lady of the night standing out back of the hotel. It was absolutely terrible, to say the least, I had to make the best choice for my family and we left before a single hair on our heads hit the dingy dirty pillows.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Rodeway Inn & Suites Boulder Broker? Share your experiences!