“Rodeway Broken Inn” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 22 Hotels in Boulder
Foothill Ranch, California
“Rodeway Broken Inn”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We booked this hotel for three nights a couple of weeks ago. The positive is that the hotel has charm and is inexpensive. It's not another cookie cutter chain hotel. The negatives are that this place is in bad need of an update.

The first night at the hotel we noticed that the phone did not work. Not a huge deal. Late that night our daughter decided to take a shower. The shower did not work - a much bigger deal. I went down in the morning and complained (I couldn't call). They fixed the shower (not the phone) while we were out and at least they comped the room for the night.

The third night, the toilet broke. I went to use the printer downstairs and all copies came out crooked. I wasn't surprised. We couldn't wait to leave. We booked a room for the rest of our stay at the Days Inn. A little further away, but it was clean, had all the amenities and everything worked.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

“If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.” That’s what grandma said. So, OK, they have lots of towels in the bathroom and there are fitted sheets on the bed, always a good thing. Oh, and the one bar of soap we were offered was easy to get out of the package. But grandma is no longer with us, so I’ll tell you the not nice stuff.

Do not stay at this hotel! It’s dangerous. There are huge fire hazards in the stairwells. There are rolls of carpet and bits of construction material to stumble over. Oh, and the mercury-laden compact fluorescent lights are not protected, so if they break, guess what you’ll be breathing as you try to escape the building.

If there’s no fire, there are other things to deal with. It doesn’t seem as if the carpets have ever been cleaned, so there’s a general stink. Indeed, the first room we were offered smelled as though someone had died in there last week. The (really very nice) desk clerk said, “oh, someone else said the same thing about the room next door.” A clue?

The room we ended up in had an amazingly small window (it didn’t open) so the place was very dark and dingy, not helped by the dreary 1960s décor. The air conditioning unit was painfully noisy and didn’t seem to change the temperature much.

If you live through the night, the free breakfast will not restore you, nor will the fact that the hotel people apparently got a bulk deal on one particular French painting. It’s on every wall everywhere, randomly interspersed with pictures of famous sports people. Odd. Very odd.

Tonight, we’re at a Hampton Inn, where it’ll be all 5 star. What a relief!

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I went to school at CU in the 80's, and back in the day, The Broker (now run by Roadway Inn) was a great place. The problem is that nothing much has changed since then. Dark wood paneled walls, an old TV that had bad reception, very intermittent Wi-Fi (on any device), aloud window A/C unit that did not work (so a loud fan setting had to be used at night to at least circulate the air), and a jacuzzi with jets that did not work were just a few of the things that can be improved. Roadway will not let you use your Choice # when booking through a third party, so do not expect credit through Choice Privileges for staying there. The continental breakfast was minimal and it was odd that Styrofoam plates, bowls and cups were used... especially being in Boulder. I booked early enough that the price of $65/night was good. But looking at what they are usually asking to stay there, I definitely would have been upset if I had to pay any more than that. I am not hard to please, but I was definitely disappointed by this "Roadway Inn". I'll give it an Average rating, but don't expect much from this hotel except an excellent location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Victoria, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I am repeating the wording of a previous review as it is exactly how I felt. If you want a no frills but great price... this is the place. If you want to impress... go to Boulderado or something more than twice the price. I will concur with some reviews that the hotel is somewhat dated, yet my experience was still good. The location is excellent as it is located just off Highway 36 as you arrive in Boulder from the direction of Denver. The hotel is across the street from Williams Village, which is a dormitory complex for the University of Colorado. If you are a CU parent with a student in that complex, then the location will be ideal. There are plenty of eating options nearby. Of course, there will be plenty of college students in them.

The room itself was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was in good shape, and everything in the room worked. I did not use the pool, but took a look at it, and it seemed fine. Again, the hotel does need some upkeep, especially in the hallway and some common areas. The continental breakfast was good with at least a few options of cereal, pastries, and yogurt along with juice, milk, or coffee.

I have no problem recommending the hotel as it is an inexpensive option compared to other lodging in Boulder.

Room Tip: Get a room with a mountain view.... beautiful!! I did not :/ ..next time! Walk around the area...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Tina L, Manager at Rodeway Inn & Suites Boulder Broker, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thank you for your nice comments. We are an older property, but we do have our charms. We are in an excellent location, and are continually working to do updates throughout the hotel. I hope you will come back again and I look forward to sharing your comments with the staff.
Fort Worth, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Room Tip: We were lucky to have a window facing northwest, as we could see Flagstaff Mountain and the Flatiron...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Santa Fe, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The lobby has that nostalgic feeling which will evaporate as soon as you enter the room- which is not classy or charming- which could be the case if it was clean. I generally do not care about a place or furniture being old, as long as it is clean and well cared for. This is not the case here...
Bedding is old, beds are like a boat, it sinks in the middle. The blanket is something you don't want your body to touch. Bathroom has mold smell, though it appeared to have been painted recently. TV is, well, old and boxy. Remote, again, was filthy. The AC did not work and the windows cant be opened so you know the dilemma. I had booked for two nights and had passed the deadline to cancel my second night and talking to night desk clerk did not help. Next day morning, we just came down with bags ready to check out, did not bother to see what was the breakfast and told the person on the desk that there is no way my kids will stay here another night, I don't care even if you charge me for the night I will not stay. That worked. The lady said that she will not charge me for the next night and I can check out. That act of kindness earned this motel a "poor" instead of the "terrible" rating. If you have to stay here...I suggest you see the room first before falling in love with the so called charming lobby.
No, I will not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mammoth Lakes, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

By accident we found this hotel and it was fantastic. In fact the front desk lady went beyond to accommodate us and a client that we needed to meet with at the hotel. during out stay it was snowing and this hotel had a wonderful bar/restaurant area as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Rodeway Inn & Suites Boulder Broker? Share your experiences!