“Meh.” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Louisville, Kentucky
“Meh.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Not bad if you're in a bind and need a room fast.

We were a bit let down with this hotel when comparing reality to the images they put online. Unfortunately, most of the rooms are directed away from the view of the Flat Irons. We had a view of the motel next door. The hotel building is actually quite old and they've attempted to cover up the age with some remodeling. Our room was right next to expansion construction that woke us up at 7:45 am. The rooms are typical Best Western style inside - nothing special and mostly clean. We found a very nice suite the next night at another hotel for the same price, so overall the experience wasn't great.

The man who checked us in was very courteous and helpful but we unfortunately had the opposite experience the next day with the woman at the front desk. She said that since they put notices in the hotel, they wouldn't give us a discount for the early morning interruption. Note, we didn't see a notice and were very disappointed with the service and excuses for the noise and mess.

We won't be staying here again when we come back to Boulder and I wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
BoulderInn, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Boulder Inn, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Hi boiler2010,

Some guest request a view of the mountains, others request the pool area, while others may request to be as close to the lobby as possible. We do our absolute best to accommodate all of our guest requests. Occasionally, we are simply unable to grant a guest request, and I’m sorry if we were unable to grant your mountain view request. I understand your disappointment.

Ari

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Westlake, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Impressive as the city was, the hotel was even more so. Staff was attentive to my every plea. Room design was particularly striking, and the facilities were well cared for. I feel as though I have finally found a match for my high expectations. Kudos!

Room Tip: Request a room on the second floor with a view of the unique mountain range
Green Features: According to the staff, the hotel is solar powered
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hi Wanda L,

I absolutely love this town, and I want everyone who comes here to have a fantastic experience. There is a reason Boulder has been recently named: America's Foodiest Town - Bon Appetit 2010, 20 Best Vacation Destinations – Frommers 2012, 10 Great College Towns - US News & World Report 2011, 10 Best Cities for the Next Decade - Kiplinger's 2010….. The list goes on and on. I am thrilled to hear that you had a great first visit to Boulder.

Also, thanks for your kind words on the Boulder Inn, and how well it is cared for. We expend a great deal of energy making sure that everything is perfect.

It sounds as though your travels will bring you back through Boulder. If that is the case, please feel free to contact me. I am happy to help facilitate your reservation. I can be reached at the hotel or my personal cel phone number is 303-506-9859.

North Liberty
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

This hotel reminds me of the retro 60's style hotel from the outside. L-shaped, 2 story with balconies or a 1st floor patio. It is conveniently located to everything. The parking was a bit tight but Boulder just experienced an early spring snowstorm and the snow took up some space. I was pleasantly surprised with the clean room, it was spacious, nicely decorated and very comfortable. The desk clerk was extremely helpful and friendly. In the morning we had to walk out of the building to another building for breakfast but it was well worth it...lots of food with a fancy dancy coffee machine. I'd stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi ccc1055,

Mike Ditka once said “Coffee, It’s the life blood that fuels the dreams of champions!” Having a perfect cup of coffee is an important part of your enjoyable morning ritual, and we understand that well. It sounds as though you experienced the coffee machine in our new Chautauqua breakfast room. This state of the art device grinds beans upon request, making a fresh cup of coffee every time. It has the ability to serve cappuccinos, lattes, mochaccinos, steamers, hot chocolate and more. If so desired, you can flavor your drink with hazlenut, irish cream, or French Vanilla. Over 60 different hot beverages in all, and is included with the complimentary hot breakfast every morning.

If your travels bring you back through Boulder, please feel free to contact me. I am happy to help facilitate your reservation. I can be reached at the hotel or my personal cel phone number is 303-506-9859.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a conference at the law school and was very pleased with this hotel. The room was clean, the staff was very friendly. The hotel gives a breakfast every morning. It's really good and is better than walking to other eating establishments nearby.
On that note, there are excellent eating establishments near the hotel. I rented a car but really didn't need it in that everything was within walking distance.
The room was around $109 a night. My only criticism is that the hotel charged me $13 to book the room with my credit card. This is not something that is disclosed at time of booking. Otherwise I was very pleased with my stay.

• Stayed May 2013
BoulderInn, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN PLUS Boulder Inn, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Hi Beeachmckinley,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Boulder Inn. I’m glad that you had such a fantastic experience. Wolf Law at the University of Colorado is directly across the street, and we frequently host law conference attendees. Thank you for your kind words about the complimentary breakfast. We opened up the new 1200 square foot Chautauqua breakfast room last month, and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.

The $13 you referenced was Boulder lodging tax. I’m sorry if this was not explained to you adequately. All cities in the United States charge a tax on lodging. Chicago is on the high end of the spectrum at 18% per night, while Ft. Lauderdale is on the low end at 11%. At 12.3%, Boulder’s lodging tax is under the national average of 14%.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

As a business traveler, comfort is not always my top priority. Rather, amenities like fast wireless and great customer service come to the forefront during business trips -- and this is where Best Western Plus in Boulder really shines.

The staff is incredibly friendly and jovial, which makes me believe that this company cares about its employees enough to make the Best Western a great place to work. The care and attention given to me on my first visit was enough to endear me to the Best Western brand in a way I was absolutely not expecting.

The rooms are very clean and the amenities are excellent -- when I needed an extra cable to connect my laptop to the television, the front desk IMMEDIATELY searched through their stock room in order to accomodate me.

Their breakfast spread is also quite impressive -- you can literally make your own waffles!

There is no doubt in my mind that this Best Western Plus is where I'll be staying every time I visit Boulder, as long as they have rooms available.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hi solecistic,

Mother Teresa once said “Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echos are truly endless.” Thank you for sharing your kind words. They echo through our hotel, and have a positive effect on all of us.

We strive to make The Boulder Inn a place where people love to work, and I’m glad this was evident during your visit.

Jacksonville, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

The location is very convenient and the free bikes make it easy to get around town. The staff was friendly and helpful. The free breakfast was pretty good. They also sent back a cell phone that I accidentally left behind. It was very nice of them. I think my stay was a good value and I'd be happy to stay there again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Ryan P,

Lost and found is one of the great challenges of the hotel business. We make a Herculean effort to return each and every item to every one of our guests. I’m glad to hear that we were able to successfully reunite you with your phone.

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights at the Best Western Plus Boulder Inn, and it was a great experience. I checked on-line prices for 3 nights and then called the hotel, and was told about a 3-night special it was offering that wasn't on on-line sites. Got a king bed suite for $89.95 a night! The room was very large and clean, the bed was amazingly comfortable, there was a nice closet and vanity space, and best of all, the small deck overlooked the Flatiron Mountains. The free breakfast was amazing: yogurt, several cereals, eggs, bacon, waffles, bagels, fruit, coffee and tea -- a large array of good food. The people working at the front desk were extremely helpful and pleasant. The hotel also offers complimentary 7-speed bikes, which allowed me to take a lovely long bike ride on Boulder's fabulous bike path that goes along Boulder Creek through the town, and then out to the outlying areas with parks and great views of the mountains.

My sister and her friend also stayed at the hotel, and asked to be upgraded to a suite when they saw my room. No suite rooms were available our first night, but the hotel upgraded them the second night and cleaned the room early so that my sister and friend could move into it by 9:00 AM. Very nice attention to customers!

The hotel is only a 10-minute car drive, if that, to downtown Boulder, or an easy bike ride into town.

The entire experience was great!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Flatiron Mountains.
Green Features: The hotel had dual-flush toilets and energy-saving lightbulbs, both of which I thought were great.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hi Mamacoast,

Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm about your stay with the Trip Advisor community. We do our very best to have a positive effect on each one of our guests. It is reassuring to hear your affirmation.

We spent over a year of planning, and over $200,000 to create the nicest breakfast room possible. We equipped it with designer tile, expensive granite, state of the art technology, and high end design; as well as an extensive menu. Hearing of your positive breakfast experience is very encouraging.

I’m also really glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of our free bikes to explore Boulder Creek. In my opinion, that is one of the best things you can do on a visit to town.

Ari

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Boulder Inn? Share your experiences!