“Peaceful respite in a busy world” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   2151 Arapahoe Ave., Boulder, CO 80302   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Boulder B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Arkansas
“Peaceful respite in a busy world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

I stayed two nights in the Briar Rose after a week in the Rockies. I, too found the street noise bothersome at first but it melted away as I relaxed and enjoyed the gardens. Our room opened to the back garden which was very lush and green. I enjoyed sitting out there with my morning coffee (yes, they have coffee too, not just tea!) and morning paper which was available in the hallway. One of the days we were there the dining room was full so I asked for a tray to take with and ate my breakfast in the garden. It was wonderful. I loved the yogurt and granola and friut. The waffles looked great but didn't partake.
The staff was very helpful but never overbearing. The computer area was well done. Two computers and never had to wait. Super fast connection too.
I really enjoyed the location as well. Very close to shops and great restaurants (some high end others not so much but all very good!). Pearl Street Mall was a leisurely walk through some very nice neighborhoods.
I will definitely stay here again when I visit Boulder. The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. I felt very much at home but with a terrific staff to assist me at all times. It doesn't get any better!

• Stayed June 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

Our stay at the Briar Rose was our first stop on a really needed vacation. We arrived a little edgy & stressed and by the end of our 2 day stay we were totally relaxed & in full vacation mode. We participated in the Buddhist meditation service that was made generously available to us. That was amazingly nurturing along with the gentle kindness of the staff, the wonderful pots of tea and the endless homemade cookie jar. The gardens and spaces were lovely and very peaceful. Breakfast was simply elegant & delicious. Gentle, easy service and kindness were very abundant our entire stay. We loved it!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

I was pleasantly surprised to find peace & tranquility among the hustle and bustle of Boulder. The Briar Rose B&B was a great place as a solo traveler to feel like I could come home in the afternoon and relax in the lawn while enjoying a freshly brewed cup of hot tea, reading a good book, while taking in the sweet smelling garden. I truly also appreciated the meditation room that was available to guests. I was able to practice my yoga and meditation daily. This place makes for a nice retreat from home.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Northeim
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

I actually stayed 2 times at the briar rose. both times I had a nice heartily welcome. People are really nice and try to help you whenever they can. When I was there the first time in January this year I though it was a bit expensive, but it seems for this category and for Boulder the adequate price. And for those who meditate the zendo is very nice and you find people who give you an introduction to zen. Yes, I would recommend the briar rose to a friend.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

The Briar Rose is lovely and peaceful with a sweet staff, and a wonderful meditation room.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Newton, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

The Briar Rose is a nice enough B&B but nothing really special in terms of service or amenities. It does, however, have a number of special aspects.

Unlike most B&B's, the Briar Rose is not run primarily by the owner - instead it is more a "community", apparently staffed mostly by present or former students from Naropa University, across the street. Naropa provides a "Buddhist Inspired Contemplative Education" and you can participate in meditation at the Briar Rose if you wish. While these folks are very sweet and caring, being innkeepers is not their forte.

The room itself (The Windom) was clean, a decent size, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom adequate. But, when I turned on the AC I discovered that the power cord was damaged and getting quite hot. I reported the problem as I left for shopping. When I returned the AC had been turned back on and I was told, essentially, not to worry about it. Sorry - I don't think so. As an engineer and home owner I know that cord is a hazard and needs to be replaced. Perhaps a more experienced staff would recognize the danger.

Location - while the photos and words on the Briar Rose's web site would have you believe "Our gardens offer a private retreat", the reality is that the gardens front on a very busy, 4 lane road. When you arrive, you cannot even park in front because there is no parking lane. The traffic noise is significant. Without the AC we kept the windows open and our room was very noisy through most of the night . The location is convenient to Pearl Street (I think it's about a 0.7 mile walk to the east end of the mall).

Breakfast - Breakfast was fine, but nothing you might not make for yourself at home. I've certainly had both better and worse at other B&B's.

Value - The room rate seems a bit steep for what you actually get, compared to other B&B's. However, if you like becoming part of the community, go for it.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
BRBB, owner at Briar Rose Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, June 3, 2009
I would like to respond to this review to make it clear that we dealt with this guest's concern promptly and appropriately. We appreciated
this guest alerting us to his concern related to the AC in the room. We took his concern very seriously, our staff member contacted me immediately. I consulted with our master electrician (who wired that building) immediately upon hearing of his concern, and while the guest was out we plugged the AC back into the wall and monitored it to see how hot it got. It got warm, but not hot enough to be of concern; certainly not
hot enough to be a fire danger. Our electrician said it was not dangerous. He said that the warmth was caused by the outlet being old
(not a damaged cord), so that the connection was not optimal, but that there was no electrical danger. He said that it might be a good idea to
replace the outlet, which we will do, but that it was not urgent. While I appreciate the guest's concern, and his appropriate response based on
his concern, we dealt with the situation immediately and appropriately.

I would also like to point out that the guest's description of our location is inaccurate: Arapahoe Ave. is a two-lane street in the downtown area. (It becomes four lanes two blocks east of the B&B.) The street is too narrow to allow parking, but there is ample parking on the cross street (22nd St.), as well as in our two small parking lots (with
7 spaces altogether.) People's experience of noise is very individual. Some of our rooms are exceptionally quiet, and this specific room is the room of choice for a number of repeat guests.

Gary Hardin
Owner, Briar Rose B&B
Omaha, NE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

The difference between the hotels I usually stay at for business, and the Briar Rose is obvious = they take care of you at the Briar Rose. From the moment you arrive you begin to relax with their gentile tea service, the wonderful breakfasts are a highlight, kind and caring staff all the way to providing airport directions when you check out.

A standout among Bed & Breadfast style accomadations and highly recommended by repeat guests!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Been to Briar Rose Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!