“A sister get away” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Tahoe City, California
“A sister get away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

My sister and I stayed at Briar Rose as part of her pre-wedding get away. From the moment we walked in,we felt at home. We stayed in the Blanca room and after a night out in Boulder we sat next to the cozy fireplace and reminisced about our childhood. The gals that ran the place were very helpful and made us the most delicious breakfast! If you are gluten free they are very accommodating! Be sure to try their scones. The next time we are in Boulder, we will certainly return for such a rejuvenating experience!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Springfield, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I made a last-minute, afternoon-of-stay reservation through an on-line service and got a room at a discounted rate of $118. Even so, this was not a good value for the money.
Staying at the Briar Rose is rather like visiting relatives who have fallen on hard times. The owners could spend some cash sprucing up the place, which has grown shabby. They could also provide some training and direction for the very kind, but somewhat inept, students who staff the b and b.
My room, the Teakettle, had no hairdryer. In searching through all the drawers in the room in the hunt for a hairdryer, I found old, stained drawer liners. The light on the porch just outside the room cannot be controlled from the room, so it was a sleepless night with light streaming through, despite window shades. And the room was cold. In the the morning I found a space heater in the closet--too late.
The staff seemed to be flummoxed by my request for a simple scambled egg and whole wheat toast. They were pushing the chocolate biscotti, which would be lovely at another hour of the day, but not for an early breakfast.
There are things to appreciate: the food is good, house-made cookies are available all day long, the tea selection is outstanding (but give me a hairdryer instead of 30 varieties of tea), there is a good effort to be sustainable, the bed was comfortable. the location is great for walking to Pearl Street Mall, and there are lots of restaurants nearby.
But it could be better.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Such a peaceful, restful environment which is exactly what I needed. I especially loved having tea and cookies in my room! I have stayed here twice for a Mommy Getaway and I have gone home both times well-rested and refreshed. I will continue to visit Briar Rose!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Westminster, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

On my fourth trip to Boulder I decided to stay at the Briar Rose. The inn, originally a home built in the 1880's in the heart of old Boulder, has been renovated over the last nine years. Welcoming, comfortable, and creative. Being there during a cold, snowy weekend, fires were keep going in fireplaces each day. I loved the fresh flowers arrangements so carefully created for the living space and each of the guest rooms. I appreciated the filtered water provided in my room. A personal pot of tea was prepared whenever I asked and delivered to my room. Breakfasts were generous and outstandingly delicious. There is great attention to organic ingredients. Gluten-free offering were provided as requested. The kitchen was run by a staff of absolutely wonderful college-aged, young women who were always available to make tea and answer questions. What I did not know when I made reservations is that the property is also home to the Boulder Zen Center. Just a few steps from the kitchen door is the beautiful zendo. I was invited to participate in the meditation practices offered in the morning. What a fabulous spirit!!! Gary and Jessica have not only created an outstanding place, but also a warm-hearted and caring environment that nurtures the body and the soul. In my four day stay, it became my "Boulder home". I will return to Boulder and the Briar Rose. Just not soon enough. Five stars for the Briar Rose!! --- Vickii Engel Thomas...Westminster, Maryland

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
PORT SETON, SCOTLAND
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Having spent three weeks travelling in the Mid-west before arriving here, we were underwhelmed. This was the most expensive bed and breakfast we stayed in during our trip and easily the poorest.

It appeared to be run by a group of students who changed every morning, afternoon and night. They were very friendly and enthusiastic but did not appear to have any direction.

Breakfasts were random and shambolic. My wife is coeliac so we chose this B & B as it appeared to be somewhere that would understand her allergy. .It appeared, however, that while a gluten-free option was baked each day the staff had no idea about cross contamination so the items were served with other items containing gluten. I think it would be fair to say that our room could only be described as basic and a reasonable rate would have been about half what we paid for it. Boulder is a nice town but the Briar Rose was an expensive disappointment.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Great b&b. We really enjoyed our visit... Staff was great, room was clean and comfortable, and breakfast the next morning was outstanding! The tea selection is worth checking out...it's impressive! The location is also quite good. Very convenient to many of the great spots to check out in Boulder. Will definitely stay here on one next trip to Boulder!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is a cute little B&B. Every member of staff we encountered was friendly and helpful. The breakfast is tasty and they leave out cake & cookies the whole day for you to nibble on. Our room was in the main part of the house and was small but comfortable.

We ended up driving to the more touristy areas of the city because the weather was too cold for walking around. But in the middle of summer, it is probably a nice 10, 15 minute walk to the center of town.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Briar Rose Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!