“Feels like going home :)” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   2151 Arapahoe Ave., Boulder, CO 80302   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Boulder B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Feels like going home :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Full of charm, this B&B delivers a genuine opportunity to embrace new friendships. Having spent a total of several months at the Briar over many trips in the last year, I've had the opportunity to experience a range of weathers, chefs, and rooms. Tea at any time, customized meals, and exemplary service from a devoted staff ensure that your needs will be met; if there's anything you need, just ask. The owners' consistent reinvestment in the building, and devotion to a long future are evident in the care exhibited in all activities.

My travels to Boulder are always work-related, and inherently solitary in nature; thus I always enjoy meeting fellow house-guests. I've discovered the Briar Rose to be a popular destination with the International scientific community, where conversations about Saturn's Moons, airborne particulates, electric cars, or modern european architecture occur over an aptly named "Waffle Wednesday" breakfast. -Like most things in life, your experience at the Briar Rose is what you make of it, indulge!

Room Tip: Every room is unique, check out their website to learn about each one; call when making your reserva...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

We only stayed here a night, but it was such a welcome sight after a long flight from London! What do they do the duvets to get them so fluffy? I have never seen anything like it.

It's a lovely relaxed place, very much someone's home, with books and paintings and so on. The staff were friendly and helpful, the breakfast was wonderful and our fellow guests also delightful. I could happily have stayed much longer, and if we go back, we may well do just that.

And finally, I know this is very British of me, but pot of tea that they made us was absolutely wonderful. It's rare to get a really great cup of tea in a hotel in the US, but this was superb. As good as I've ever had and supremely welcome after a long trip. They know their teas!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Antero room which had a log fire and a separate sitting area - lovely
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011 via mobile

I pay attention to the details. I was pleased to know that the briar rose does so as well. They are genuine, and are not trying to be anyone other than who they are. I really enjoyed hanging out with the staff. The fresh flowers are lovely. The tea is lovely. And the location (right across the street from naropa) Is lovely

• Stayed December 2011
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

This is a great Bed and Breakfast. It really is more of an inn, than a B&B. There are staff members present in the home. The room was very comfortable, quiet, and peaceful. There are plenty of sweet breads to eat, along with tea, that can be obtained any time of day. We stayed in the red cloud room.

The staff members are extremely friendly and helpful. The location provides easy walking access to downtown Boulder.

The breakfast is absolutely amazing. The homemade granola can't be beat, and you will not walk away from breakfast hungry. This was a great experience. Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Try to obtain a room with attached bathroom.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Newport, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

This certainly didn't live up to it's reputation or advertisements and is situated on a noisy road. We arrived late, so a key was left for us which we didn't have a problem with but the directions to find the bathroom that went with our room was a different matter! We found a broom cupboard, someone else's room but it turned out to be a door marked 'private', which was the last one we tried although would have known had the note said that. Breakfast was disappointing, the fresh fruit salad looked very sorry for itself and seemed sparse, and there was no choice; at one point we had to clear space for someone to sit down. We had pancakes one day that were very heavy and stodgy. It seemed to be run by students, but by day three the lad serving looked in need of a wash and change of clothes. Information about the locality was non-existant, we chanced upon some kind of green fair; which could have been mentioned on the board or leaflets made available.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
New Canaan, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

When making our plans for family weekend two months ago, we were unable to find any rooms and stumbled upon this wonderful bed and breakfast. From the moment we arrived, we felt the stress and noise of travel from the east coast dissipate. The entry through a garden with an attractive waterfall into the homey front room was just the beginning. The smell of fresh baked goodies drew us in where we met several friendly people working in the kitchen. Our room was not ready upon our arrival, but we were offered delicious brewed tea from their extensive collection and homemade cookies. We were given a tour of the place and shown our room. We went to the CU family activities and returned to find our belongings happily tucked into our comfortable room. The bed was very comfortable...we slept for 9 hours! We awoke to the smell of fresh coffee (a local roaster) and homemade zucchini bread. Homemade yoghurt with homemade granola, fresh fruit, followed by fresh eggs scrambled with spinach, red bell pepper, and mushrooms with goat cheese atop completed our breakfast, which we ate on a covered porch. After a day of hiking, vwe returned to enjoy a cup of fresh brewed tea with the zucchini bread. Our tea was served on a silver tray complete with fresh flowers and herbs from the garden!
We have stayed at other places in Boulder, but if we can, we will always stay here in the future!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

My husband and I stayed in the Bianca room. While the street out front was busy, we didn't hear it at all (to be transparent in my review, we didn't open the windows...didn't need to). Parking was ample in the available lots. Pearl Street was only about a 10 minute walk away - nice. The breakfast was yummy - and the homemade granola is out of this world! The only problem with the shortbread cookies was that I know how much butter is in shortbread cookies, so that kept me from eating 5 of them. I steeled myself for only eating one. Very tough to do! The tea selection was fantastic. Love the tea in the afternoon and the mint-lemon ice water. Room is comfortable. If you absolutely have to have a TV in your room, then you must know that there isn't one there. No problem on our end. It was great not to have the glaring screen for one night.

For those lucky enough to stay on a Friday night, the Saturday morning Boulder County Farmers Market is a 10 minute walk away. GO THERE if it is happening, even just to walk around & gawk at all the wonderful things! So amazing!! Wish we had a comparable one close to home.

I was thinking about some of the not-great reviews that said that the owner does the welcome in the kitchen (and sometimes dishes are there) and that the young staff runs the place. This was our first time staying at a B&B, and being welcomed in the kitchen made me feel like I was staying in the owner's own house. I welcome all my guests into my kitchen at home, and there are surely some dishes there every now & then! A rushed intro to the place, someone said. Who cares? How much do you need to know besides where the tea & cookies are, the breakfast time, where your key works, whom to call in an emergency, & where your room is? A young staff? Well, they sure seem to know what is going on, so I don't feel the burning need to talk to someone who is older, just for the sake of talking to someone older. And Elizabeth makes a MEAN homemade breakfast bread (I think ours was ginger-spice flavor?), so have her on hand any night I am there, please!

All in all, a very fine place to stay, a welcoming setting - and we'll definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Briar Rose Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!