“Luxury, Comfort and Location” 5 of 5 stars

St Julien Hotel and Spa
900 Walnut St, Boulder, CO 80302   |
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Boulder
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Luxury, Comfort and Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

My husband and I were here first weekend of June for three nights. Best location for downtown. Convenient to everything. There is valet and self parking. We did the latter and it's free on Sat and Sun. There is a parking garage under the hotel and is accessible via elevator from lobby - very convenient. Comfortable bed, stall shower. Small one bedroom. Good hotel service. Jill's restaurant is good for breakfast and service was good in the dining room. Small gym, indoor lap pool. Fast elevators. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

I was so impressed by this hotel. I travel often and tend to be a bit jaded, but I was overwhelmed by the friendliness of the staff. I was greeted by name and my company affliation (though I was traveling on leisure). It was so wonderful. The view from my room, the bath tubs and the restaurant were true highlights. There was a band in the lobby on Saturday night which set a nice mood. It was a memorable, stand out experience!

Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Cincinnati, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

I really liked the St Julien. The hotel was relatively empty early and mid-week, but the room was beautiful. Front door staff VERY attentive and polite. The bar staff equally professional.

Nothing whatsoever to complain about and really a fantastic business hotel in Boulder. The location is very central to Boulder and easy to walk to many restaurants and Bars with Pearl Street just a street away. I will certainly be back.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
StJulienHotel, General Manager at St Julien Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, June 15, 2010
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us! Looking forward to your next stay with us.

The Executive Team
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

Boulder has been starving for a hotel like this for years and finally the St. Julien delivers. The rooms are very nice and the beds are fantastic. The lobby decor is hip and modern but tasteful. The bar area can get a little rowdy. Seems like there are a lot of trendy dressed 20 and 30 somethings looking to hook up but this makes for great people watching and a good vibe. I don't know what scent they are pumping through the central air system, but the entire hotel smells wonderful, like a day spa. Now for the downside. Since they are the only decent, upscale hotel in Boulder, their lack of competition seems to give the staff an attitude problem. Mediocre service keeps them from getting 5 stars in my book. Our room had a dirty shower curtain and when we complained to the front desk about it, basically their attitude was..."Yeah, so?" Totally unacceptable in a hotel of this quality. A small hiccup, but when you're throwing down $300-$400 a night you don't want a shower curtain that looks like somebody urinated on the bottom of it. If they tighten up their customer service, this can truly be a great hotel in my opinion.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

We are on a driving trip though the Western States. Arrived in Boulder after a long day on the road. Everyone from the bellman to the front desk did everything to check us in and get us to our room immediately. The room and bed were so comfortable with a view of the mountains. Happy hour in the lobby was the best time we had in many years. The music was so exciting and everyone was dancing throughout the lobby and bar. Our dinner and breakfast at Jill's was exceptional. We travel for leisure over 100 days a year and this by far one of the best hotels we have ever stayed. The staff went out of their way to make our stay an exceptional one. Next time you are near Boulder, stay at the St. Julien.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Twentynine Palms, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

The St Julien is a beautiful hotel, centrally located in downtown Boulder. The rooms were beautifully decorated, a bit on the small side, but very cozy. The beds are very comfortable & the soft linens make getting out of bed very hard! While customer service during our stay for the most part was great, we did encounter some staff at the reception desk & valet that acted as though our request to check in or have our car valet were an inconvenience to them. Definetely not cool! We didn't eat at the restaurant, but we did have several meals delivered through room service, and the food was very good.

During our stay we decided to check out the spa & get facials. While the therapists & therapy rooms were fantastic, we were disappointed with the lounging facilities. The lounge is co-ed. This would have been fine if we were told about it, but we were not. There also were not any signs posted about the lounge being co-ed either. There is also no service entrance for employees to enter the treatment room section, so while you are trying to relax in the lounge, there is a constant stream of employees entering, leaving, walking through the lounge. Not the least bit relaxing in my opinion. The locker room facilities are great with a sauna & steam room, showers, etc. & they provide all the bathroom condiments you may need. There is only 1 pool/spa for the entire hotel. While we appreciate the effort, we can't recommend the spa lounging facilities as a relaxing environment. Treatments & therapists are awesome, but once your treatment's are complete, you'll have to return to your room for relaxation. We travel to Las Vegas quite often for spa getaways and in our opinion, the St. Julien has potential to be a really great spa. Just need to improve the lounging facilities.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

I really wanted to like the St Julien, as it has the appearance of providing a lovely pampering experience. Unfortunately, appearances are deceiving. The utter lack of concern for my comfort was felt from all levels of employee, from the front desk right up to the general manager. The spa botched my reservations and no one seemed to appreciate that this was the opposite of a relaxing experience. It was left to me to track down the manager and relay the problem. I was left feeling like it was my fault for not knowing how their spa operates. The hotel lobby on the weekends is over-taken by an obnoxiously loud, untalented live band with bad acoustics. Walking through the hotel on those nights one feels as if this is a Ramada Inn during an 70's era class reunion. The music was so loud it was distorted and reverberated up to our 4th floor room. Drunks from the lobby were spilling into the pool area as they had jammed open the door. All the other hotel guests were grumbling as well when we rode the elevator together. We were informed that most of the crowd in the lobby were locals. Sadly, the desk said this was a common complaint and that management never responds to the complaints. I too found this, when I had to ask the GM, Peter Walstra, to call me as he had not responded to my comment card after 2 weeks. He told me that my complaint was not valid, as other people liked the loud music and therefore it was just a matter of taste. I was made to feel as if he could care less about the $900 I spent for one day at his hotel. Clearly, bad customer service is a top down problem at this property.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
StJGeneralMgr, General Manager at St Julien Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, April 5, 2010
I hope you will accept our sincere apologies. We pride ourselves on the quality and service we deliver to our guests, including our locals who frequently stay and dine with us. We regret that your experience was not a positive one and potentially not up to our standards either.

Regarding your feedback on our selection of live music, while we try to appease a broad audience, we like to bring in local bands to give our guests a taste of Boulder during their visit. Our diverse selection ranges from Jazz and Soul to Tengo, Brazilian, and music of Zimbabwe. While we get many compliments, we also take this complaint very seriously and regret any dissatisfaction. We continually review our entertainment selections to make sure our guests enjoy their time here.

We appreciate your feedback and I'm glad I got the chance to speak with you personally about your specific concerns during your stay.

Been to St Julien Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!