“Housekeeping brings down the ratings for me” 3 of 5 stars

St Julien Hotel and Spa
900 Walnut St, Boulder, CO 80302   |
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Boulder
Florida City, Florida
“Housekeeping brings down the ratings for me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Most of the staff was over friendly and helpful. The checkin, valet and concierge were wonderful. The location of the hotel is great and you can walk to shopping and restaurants easily from the hotel. We didn't notice any other hotel options in the area. The King room we were given seemed a bit small, but had enough room for a chair and desk. Our balcony overlooked the valet and front entrance of hotel so not such a relaxing spot. The room has a cork board wall which is very unique, but I'm guessing it has a purpose as a sound barrier between rooms. My biggest issues with this hotel all go back to housekeeping. The sheets on our bed had some tears, the shower was covered in mold and the service was lacking. We were out of our room from 7:30am until 3:15pm and no one had serviced our room. At 4pm, as we were showering, the housekeeper shows up. We asked her to return in 30 mins so we could finish showering but she said her shift ends and she cannot service our room unless it was now. This was quite disappointing, especially because we were hoping to get the mold issue resolved. We checked out a day early and doubt we will return. I hope management takes a look at the dirty moldy showers and stocks up on some Tilex. Housekeeping's time management is an easy fix too.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
StJulienHotel, General Manager at St Julien Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear 5startraveler,

Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay at St Julien Hotel & Spa. We're happy you enjoyed the hotel's location and service. I apologize for the housekeeping challenges you encountered, and will share your feedback with my team directly, to ensure any issues are resolved.

Peter T. Walstra, CHA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Staff shared secrets of the inner workings of the hotel.. No wonder they had no hot water during our stay. I guess it's just falling apart behind its wall sadly.
Service was that of a sophomore college student.. Not experienced in high end hotel lodging, guest needs.
We will not be staying in Boulder again. Thank you the Four Seasons in Denver!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Jeremiah C,

Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent visit. I'm sorry to hear you experienced challenges during your stay. I hope if you do return to Boulder, you will give St Julien Hotel & Spa another chance to demonstrate the level of service, and quality of accommodations that keep us consistently ranked as a Four-Star, Four-Diamond property.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We have been staying at the St Julien for what is now 7 years. This makes it our most visited from a large list of hotels. It is everything we want in a Boutique hotel stay. Nicely appointed rooms, fun atmosphere and friendly, hospitable staff.

We have never had a bad stay. The caliber of the accommodations and service had never wavered. Even when something is not right, they go out of their way to make it so.

Kudos to the management for maintaining a high standard.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Msk6261,

Thank you for your repeat visits to St Julien Hotel & Spa. We strive to maintain a high level of service, and return customers are the best validation we receive to verify that we're meeting that goal. We hope to continue to welcome you as our guest for many years to come.

regina, canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed here for four nights while attending a conference. Nice hotel with largish rooms, stone bathrooms, and very comfortable beds. One block from Pearl St, which has a large assortment of restaurants and shops. Service was very good, and value was excellent, although we did get a conference rate. I stayed here for business but if I come back for a vacation with my wife this is where I will stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
StJulienHotel, General Manager at St Julien Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear livetotravelcdn,

Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay with us. I'm pleased to hear our rooms, beds, service and location made your visit enjoyable. I certainly hope you’re able to bring your wife to St Julien for a vacation.

Bowling Green, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Absolutely beautiful spot near Pearl Street mall. I felt refreshed and recharged after two nights. Near great restaurants and Boulder Creek trail. Great friendly staff, well appointed rooms, excellent fitness facilities, and great restaurant. Spa looks very good as well. I'll give that a try on my next visit here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kweezen,

I appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay at our property. I'm happy to hear that you were able to enjoy our amenities, including our fitness center and Jill's Restaurant. We always aim to have our guests depart feeling recharged and refreshed and I'm pleased to hear that was your experience.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

By far the best accommodations in Boulder- luxurious, clean, beautiful decor, great food and tasteful use of lobby/dining space. We stayed in Boulder for three nights and enjoyed every moment at the St. Julian. The staff is extremely professional and demonstrate the best customer service you could ask for. There is absolutely no other hotel I would recommend!

For a spa experience, you can expect quality locker rooms, showers, sauna, and an excellent steam room. While waiting for treatment, the spa lobby is comfortable, spacious and opens to the pool and jacuzzi. The couples massage is delightful and includes champagne afterwards to perpetuate your relaxation...

One major recommendation is to borrow the complimentary cruiser bikes available outside the front door. The location of the St. Julian allows for an easy ride down the Boulder Creek Path, quick cruises to nearby parks, and of course a fast pedal over to numerous restaurants and shops on Pearl St.

If you are looking for the best quality of hotel in Boulder there simply is no other choice than the St. Julian.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear RKtravel1,

Providing an exceptional experience for our guests is always our primary goal – I'm pleased that you enjoyed every moment of your stay at St Julien and had time to take out our complimentary cruiser bikes to explore Boulder, enjoy a spa treatment at our acclaimed Spa at St Julien and enjoy our food and beverage menu. We hope to have you stay with us to experience it all over again the next time you're in Boulder.

General Manger
Studio City, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We recently spent four nights at the St. Juilen while visiting relatives. It is a beautiful hotel just a short walk from Pearl St. We arrived at around 5pm and I believe check-in is at 4:30. Check in was pleasant and smooth. Our room on the 3rd floor was a very long walk from the elevator. In route the hallway was lined with uncollected room service trays. Include glasses outside our door. For a hotel at this price point it did not present a good first impression.
The good:
Our room had a beautiful view of the Flat Irons and a small balcony to enjoy.
The room was nicely appointed. Very comfortable bed.
Staff was friendly and capable.
Tea on Saturday was sparse, but tasty.
The bad:
Nasty stain on the carpet by the bed.
Remote control needed batteries.
Try to call housekeeping, connected to the restaurant (twice), and person answering did not know how to transfer me (when make reservations for tea I mentioned the problems to the concierge who assured me some one would address the issues). Never resolved. Glad they provided slippers!!
The indoor pool was nice, but very few lounge chairs.
Bacon and eggs at breakfast took over an hour!

All this said I would return to try again, as the staff tried very hard to please, location and amenities were above par.

Room Tip: If you have trouble walking - ask for a room close to the elevators. Room 367 was a several minute...