“Good not Great” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 20 hotels in Boulder
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
“Good not Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I had heard about the St. Julian for years, THE place to stay in Boulder. I have used their Spa, but had never stayed there. Now I have, and here is the report. Very nice. Not the swoon I had expected, but very nice:

The good:
Staff: attentive and lovely (with one exception noted below)
Tub: deep and inviting
Amenities: upscale; love the bath salts
Location: terrific; a block off of Pearl

The not so good:

I was upgraded to a “mountain view room” which was more a “red brick building with a peak of the mountains behind it view.” The room was very, very small. No room for a closet, so they tucked that function into the armoire that held the TV. No cushy reading chair/ottoman. It was basically laid out like any standard Holiday Inn Room, but the fittings were nicer. Comfortable (if you don't mind doing your reading in bed). Certain things were not in completely flawless working condition (e.g. the plug by the coffee machine was faulty; had to move the whole deal into the bathroom; the shower door didn't fit well...)

This is the St Julian "Hotel and Spa.” I treated myself to this more expensive Boulder alternative because of downtime I would have - I had hoped to take advantage of the “and Spa” part during that time. When I checked in I was told that the Spa would be closed for maintenance on the day I would be able to use it. While I was given a coupon for a nearby workout facility, I was hoping to be massaged, not trained. Would’ve been nice to know that before I came. Certainluy wasn't offered a reduced rate or a free drink for the inconvenience. I asked for a late checkout (certainly wasn't going to be hanging in the Spa), and was made to feel like an ungrateful wretch when they would only give me until 12:45.

All in all - nice. Not the lap of luxury, but fine.

Room Tip: Don't pay "up" for an upgraded "mountain view." Mine at least was obstructe...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
StJulienHotel, General Manager at St Julien Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Barbara M,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at St Julien Hotel and Spa. We are pleased to hear that you found the staff to be attentive, and that you enjoyed the room amenities and location of the hotel. We apologize for the disappointment you experienced as a result of the spa maintenance during your visit; it is our standard practice to notify guests when maintenance such as this takes place. I apologize if somehow your reservation was overlooked and you were not made aware in advance. We appreciate your feedback, and will certainly take your comments into careful consideration. We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you again.

508 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Longmont, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

For my bachelorette party, a few friends and I went to the St. Julien before heading out for dinner and drinks. We all got pedicures and spent time in the pool, hot tub, etc. The space was a little small for several people to hang out together, but overall was nice. We enjoyed being able to go back and forth from the Spa area to the Salon area, and everyone was really nice. Definitely worth the price - looking forward to doing it again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
StJulienHotel, General Manager at St Julien Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear cogrl,

We are pleased to hear that Spa at St Julien was your choice for your bachelorette party. Thank you for your kind review and we look forward to your next visit.

Southern california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The St. Julien is our favorite Boulder hotel! The rooms are tasteful, new and comfortable. The hotel has a great location, very easy to walk to the Boulder Mall or up to "The Hill" area. The restaurant is reliably good though not crowded and there are so many other restaurants just a few minutes walk away. The lobby bar is festive and lively, especially on football weekends. The outdoor patio area has a great view of the Flatirons and a big grassy space that the kids can goof around on while the adults have a cocktail. It's been a while since I used the spa but my husband likes the facilities and as I remember they are fairly large and decorated in a stone and wood, zen meets mountain style.

Room Tip: The Flatiron view is very lovely!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Lovethelux65,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at St Julien Hotel and Spa. We are pleased to hear that so many aspects of the hotel exceeded your expectations. Your review is what we strive to deliver and appreciate your positive recommendation. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Staying here for business and would like to stay longer. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the hotel has a wonderful relaxed feeling to it. My room is very nicely done and super clean. Lots of nice dining choices in walking distance.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear seaandski4us,

Thank you for taking the time to review the St Julien Hotel and Spa. Your compliments regarding the staff are greatly appreciated and we are pleased to hear that your stay left you feeling relaxed. We hope to have you stay with us a bit longer, and for leisure, the next time you’re in Boulder.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stay here if you can, but if you can't, then at least check out the spa! Beautiful and relaxing, with all the pampering extras you would want. I had a great massage a while back, and I'm looking forward to returning in the future. Easy, downtown location in Boulder.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
StJulienHotel, General Manager at St Julien Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Jetfiretraveler,

Thank you for sharing feedback from your visit to Spa at St Julien. I'm pleased you enjoyed your massage, and you left feeling relaxed. We look forward to your next visit to the spa, as well as the hotel.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I had never been to Boulder before and was enjoying it very much and previously didn't plan on spending the night there. After a few drinks, shopping and some tapas my girlfriend and I stumbled upon the Hotel St. Julien. We decided to fork over the $200+ (almost 300) for a mountain view facing room. I've gotta say, I was very, very glad we did. Not only was this one of the nicest hotels I had ever been in in my life-besting even $500 a night places in Europe, but the view was breathtaking. The in room jacuzzi also made for an extremely awesome night. I'd give it 10 stars if I could.

Room Tip: Get mountain facing!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear whatitdothug,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at St Julien Hotel and Spa. Your enthusiastic response is what we strive to deliver to each of our guests. The mountain view rooms are a favorite at the hotel and we are pleased that you and your girlfriend were able to enjoy one. We hope to have you both as our guests again.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights in January on business.

Its not my first time in town ,having stayed at the Boulderado before - which I enjoyed - but this was a very fine stay indeed.

Its difficult to find fault with anything really. The rooms are very well fitted out and I think the staff are excellent.

As a business traveller sometimes its the small things/attention to detail you notice. For example as a habit I do enjoy a cup of tea 1st thing in the morning- especially when travelling. In so many places the single Breakfast tea bag you get and use is not replaced. Perhaps they think that fruit teabag still remaining is enough if they indeed even give that any thought. Not so here. The exact tea I used was replaced . After the second day - they left me two ! Someone thought - hey ,maybe he would like a second cup. A small thing perhaps but a big sign of standards,training and people who care.

Finally the view out the lobby window is wonderful with a large glass vista onto the mountains.I could have gazed out for ages.

The only slightly un-pleasant aspect is the occasional electric shocks you receive from the conditions created by the altitude on pressing the elevator/switches. Certainly not their fault but be aware.

I'll be glad to return to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear dvdstv,

We are pleased to hear about your recent stay at St Julien Hotel and Spa. Our goal is to provide each guest with exceptional service and ensure their stay is as enjoyable as can be. We look forward to having you as our guest next time you visit Boulder.

Peter T. Walstra, CHA

Been to St Julien Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!