“Closest To a Vacation in Years!” 5 of 5 stars

St Julien Hotel and Spa
900 Walnut St, Boulder, CO 80302   |
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Boulder
DENVER
“Closest To a Vacation in Years!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

A good friend and I were planning to see Robin Williams in Boulder so I decided to make it a mini-vacation and book a room at the St. Julien. I live in Denver and my friend lives in Nederland. From valet to check in to the bar to room service to the room it was luxury all the way. My friend spent over an hour in the bathtub after we got home at midnight! Local blues band The Delta Sonics played from 7 to 10 and the lobby was filled with dancing people. A very lively scene. I wish I had (and could afford) another 24 hours at the St. Julien and in Boulder.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
StJulienHotel, General Manager at St Julien Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear brentholio,

We are pleased to hear that you and your companion enjoyed your recent visit to St Julien Hotel and Spa. Our goal is always to provide guests with exceptional service, and we are happy that you felt that the experience provided luxury throughout. We hope to have you for another “stay-cation” soon.

Peter T. Walstra, CHA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is my second stay at St. Julien's and as always, I was warmly greeted by the bell hops and my car whisked away so I didn't need to worry about it anymore. I was staying this time with a girlfriend in a double queen room with views of the flatirons. The rooms are as always spacious and comfortable, however, I noticed a lot of stains on the carpet and that it felt very hard underfoot as if it was wearing out - which it was. This is the reason I've only given 4 satars this visit as I would have expected a hotel of this quality to have attended to this matter many, many months ago and replaced the carpet. I pointed it out to the manager who saidit would be replaced soon. But "soon" is too late for me.
All the staff were wonderful, from the bell hops to the turn down maids, to the wait staff and the spa. However, the spa prices seem to have risen astronimically and being expected to pay an extra 15-20% gratuity onto what was an already steep price for treatment left a bad taste in my mouth. So did the 20% gratuity for room service. However I couldn't fault the food or service and we reluctantly left after 4 nights, well fed and relaxed. Since I felt the spa prices were so high and i wasn't impressed with the worn carpet, I'll probably be looking elsewhere for my next spa experience.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room with views of the flatirons, they're bigger!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Aussiewriter,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at St Julien Hotel and Spa. Your repeat business is greatly appreciated, and I am happy to hear that the service you encountered during your stay exceeded your expectations. Your comments on the room appointment upgrades and pricing will be taken to heart. We hope to host you again in the near future.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

At Christmas I got a spa day at at the Saint Julien. I have had a massage and my tired old bones were looking forward to it. I had the distinct pleasure of experiencing a lovely lady named Rose. Believe me when I tell you that she found sore muscles I didn't know I had all over my body.It felt so good, I almost feel asleep. I just walked out of there with a smile on my face I could not wipe off if you made me. I was so relaxed, I floated out of the spa, took a warm shower and I could have taken on the world after that massage. Rose really helped my arthritic pain and if I could have given her a medal for massage, I would have.
I can't wait to get back here, if I lived in the area, I think I would be here every week-it was that GOOD!

Room Tip: I don'lt think there are any bad spa rooms, the 2 people I went with said they had excellent mas...
Dear SantaFeDiva,

Thank you for such an enthusiastic review of your recent experience at Spa at St Julien. We are pleased to hear that your treatment exceeded your expectations, and you are anxious to return. I will share your comments with Rose; I know I speak for us both when I say we hope to have you as our guest again soon.

Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

One of our very best night's sleep in a hotel was at the St. Julien. That by itself should get you to go.

We were able to get a complimentary upgrade with mountain views upon check-in, which was a very nice surprise. The entire staff was exceedingly friendly, especially our bellman David, who was really very helpful with his advice as well as service with a smile. The room had a nice balcony with a view of the mountains, and although the Canyon Blvd. traffic noise was somewhat annoying, the view was worth it.

It's location can't be beat, just off the Pearl St. mall. While we tend to avoid typical touristy things when traveling, many of the excellent restaurants in Boulder are located on Pearl St., as are many independent stores, so it's worth a trip. All within walking distance of the St. Julien.

We enjoyed some time in the large hot tub late at night, and no one bothered us when we stayed past the official closing time. Treating us like adults instead of shooing us out when they closed was a nice touch. Similarly, the shower was the best thing to experience first thing in the morning, although it's a bit of a shock to exit the closed shower into a comparably cold bathroom.

Service was roundly excellent with the exception of the lounge/lobby. While friendly, the staff was less than attentive, for example picking up my wife's empty drink and walking away, without asking if she wanted another round, or anything else at all. We were similarly invisible the entire time we spent in the lounge.

The food was also very good. We had appetizers in the lounge (get the "tots"--amazing) as well as room service our last night and enjoyed everything we had. Next time we'll try dinner in Jill's.

Overall, the stay was a resounding success, and we were absolutely delighted with everything except for the service on that one occasion, the only reason I rated Service 4/5. We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: As others have said, it's worth the upgrade to a mountain view.
Dear BillH,

We greatly appreciate the feedback you provided about your recent stay at St Julien Hotel and Spa. Our guests are our first priority, and I am pleased that David, your bellman, was kind and helpful, and that you found the service to be roundly excellent. I will be sure to share your compliments with him, and will similarly address the challenges you encountered with service in the lounge/lobby with the service staff there. Once again, we appreciate your comments, and we look forward to your return.

Salida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The best are unbelievably comfortable. You do not want to get up! All aspects of the room are just want you would like. The staff is extremely guest service oriented: warm and friendly. They seem to enjoy their jobs. The location is perfect. The spa was wonderful. We will be excited to return.

Room Tip: We have never been disappointed. They all are teriffic.
Dear djack7,

Thank you for your kind review of St Julien Hotel and Spa. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the accommodations, location and Spa at St Julien, and that you found our staff to be warm and friendly. We look forward to your next visit.

Santa Barbara, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Just had our third stay at the St. Julien, this time for 5 days. Although we reserved a 2 room suite months ago, we were going to be put into a smaller room. After a long wait at the end of the day, we were given what we reserved but the suite had a terrible odor, as if someone had been sick there, if you catch my drift. No response from the management regarding this issue other than being told it had just been "deep cleaned." After 2 days of leaving a window open and using scented candles, the odor dissipated but it did spoil our vacation somewhat. Bottom line - this is a beautifully designed and decorated hotel in a great location and the staff is friendly and tries to please. But I felt it was understaffed during the busy holiday period and the management didn't handle our problem well at all.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
StJulienHotel, General Manager at St Julien Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear sharon2004,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at St Julien Hotel and Spa, and for your repeat business. We sincerely apologize for the challenge you encountered with your accommodations during your last visit, and even more so that it was not swiftly corrected by our team. I will personally follow up with the St Julien staff on this matter, to ensure this does not happen again.

Huntington Woods, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We spent three nights in the hotel and it just got better and better. All of the staff is courteous and helpful. A special shout out to Shelley, the concierge, who gave us time and advice on hiking, skiing, restaurants and a birthday bottle of wine that was in the room when we arrived. The Spa and hot tub were the perfect end to spending the days outdoors. Beds are very comfortable and center of town is around the block. I would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
StJulienHotel, General Manager at St Julien Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear bethapplebaum,

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at St Julien Hotel and Spa, and even more so that you plan to return as our guest again. I will share your service comments with Shelley and the rest of the staff – they are greatly appreciated. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Peter T. Walstra, CHA

Been to St Julien Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!