“GREAT.. try it for HH and/or dinner” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Q's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 508 Restaurants in Boulder
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Spruce
Boulder, Colorado
“GREAT.. try it for HH and/or dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My wife and I have visited Q's bar for happy hour, but not the restaurant until recently. Happy hour is great, with reduced prices on select restaurant menu items and VG prices on wines.

We went to the restaurant for First Bite (annual event with fixed price menu, with menu options) with some friends. Fantastic menu, though some were winners and some almost winners. Celeriac bisque sounded great, as we love celeriac. Unfortunately, it was like celeriac puree with too much parsnip and a hot(spicy) oil. Wish they had let the celeriac speak for itself. Blue crab cake was excellent, but they overwhelmed the delicate flavor of the crab with BIG chunks of spicy sausage...should have diced the sausage and cut it by 80%.

Entrees were VG, could have been excellent, but the two orders of red trout varied from great to overcooked. Gold potato gnocchi are great (and they are on the HH menu). I had a smoked pork chop with spaetzle that was outrageous.. would order it again. I typically find pork chops to be overcooked and dry. This was not and had a nice smoky flavor. And I am a sucker for fresh made spaetzle.

I am not a fan of dessert, but the flourless chocolate cake is a winner. I would go back just for this, Too often it is a dense candy bar, this is cakelike, light, yet rich. It is also gluten free. Best gluten free dessert I have ever had. And it is on the regular menu.

Service was so-so. Bus service was better than the waitress. She wasn't bad, just a bit inattentive and intrusive.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“First Bite Boulder”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Tremendous! They did First Bite right. $26 for a three course meal. My wife started with beef arugula salad, followed with pork chop and pumpkin cheesecake for dessert. I started with a blue crab crepe (wonderful and full of crab). The entree was a chicken fritter over mixed vegetables and a red chocolate tort for dessert. All of the portions were full size, my wife even took some pork home in a box. The dishes were delicious. We saw some friends there that told us that this is also the best Friday Happy Hour in boulder with 40% of all drinks till 7PM. After our experience earlier in the week at the Kitchen with First Bite where the portions were soooo small this was a treat indeed.

Two minor problems. Parking in downtown Boulder is a nightmare so I dropped her off to go park. When I got to restaurant hostess said she hadn't been seated. She then called to the host to seat me and he remembered he had seated her and found the table. A little disconcerting. We were not asked if we would like coffee with dessert, which I would have, the desserts just came out. Minor issues compared to the whole, but since I've started writing these reviews I notice things like this now.

Longmont, Colorado
“Wonderful Weekend Brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Great fresh breakfast and lunch entrees from a somewhat limited menu with enough choices to please everyone in the party. Half portions are only 50% of the price plus 50 cents. They have their blend of deep rich coffee which is delighful. Service is always good. The specials are always unique and flavorful. The bloodly mary's are second to none. Prepare yourself to relax and enjoy a fine repast.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“European flavour.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Varied menu, prompt service by polite and friendly staff. Beautiful room in quirky hotel. Makes a change from processed food and heavy portions of high calory grub. Really recommend this place.

Visited November 2012
Boulder, Colorado
“Gourmet Dinner in an Historical Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Q's in the 1905 Hotel Boulderado is one of the go-to places for breakfast, but I suspect a lot fewer people know that the dinners there are some of the best in the Denver Metro area. This is truly innovative gourmet food. We happened to secure a reserve for our party of 8 on the University of Colorado's Homecoming Saturday evening when many other of the top restaurants in Boulder were fully booked. To top that, the chef was offering in addition to the regular menu a special three course "wine pairing" dinner at a very reasonable price. Half of us had that dinner with an off menu "gourmet" sushi appetizer and an excellent steak cut, and the other four ordered a spectacular barramundi dish that tasted like it had been caught earlier that day. (Maybe that's possible given that Australia is across the date line.) We will be going back to Q's for dinner more and letting the less knowledgeable wait in line for Q's well known breakfasts. Only possible objection is that the lighting level is a bit high for the kind of meal served in the evenings. Had the house lights been dimmer, I would have given Q's an Excellent rating across the board.

• Visited November 2012