“Good But Not Exceptional” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 508 Restaurants in Boulder
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Bistro, Wine Bar
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 11th Street
Denver, Colorado
“Good But Not Exceptional”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband and I have eaten at The Kitchen on several occasions. Our most recent this past Friday, January 4 and left feeling that the quality and service were lacking the personal touch they have become known for. Our server forgot to bring a spoon with the soup, menu was limited over previous visits and our drinks left unfilled. We have always been huge fans of The Kitchen but if you are a small party I would recommend having reservations. The seating is not always spacious forcing you at times to listen to others conversations. Overall, good but not great. If you are in Boulder there are better restaurants for price and quality.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“The Perfect Brunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I just enjoyed an outstanding Brunch at The Kitchen in Boulder, CO. My first visit to this restaurant and I must say I'm quite impressed. Staff was extremely knowledgeable and attentive, and the food was fantastic. It wasn't very crowded, and this looks like a place that probably gets really crowded so I would make reservations. I will be eating here again!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Loveland, Colorado
“Consistent quality with top notch ingredients”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

A trip to the Boulder Symphony today got us in the Boulder area and hungry for a good lunch. We have often come to The Kitchen for lunch/brunch and once again were not disappointed in the food or the service!

The Kitchen consistently delivers quality food that strives to be local and planet friendly. Today I ordered the roasted vegetable sandwich with burrata and a side of the Munson Farms squash soup. There was a slight mix up on the soup and I ended up with the tomato soup first. The waiter instantly recognized that I'd gotten the wrong soup, got the correct soup and left me to try both (and charge me for just the one). It was exactly what a great waiter should do and he did it!

My husband ordered the lamb burger which came with thick cut and perfectly cooked/salty fries. He was really happy with his meal and talked about it well after we were finished.

Overall, The Kitchen delivers a consistent menu and dining experience. This isn't an avant garde experience but rather a home-cooked, you're eating with strangers that aren't yet your friends kind of place.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Denver, Colorado
“Quality and quantity of food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our experience was on December 31, 2012, New Year's Eve and it was our first experience at the Kitchen in Boulder. I had read all of the great reviews for the Kitchen and wanted to take my Fiance to a nice quality restaurant for a wonderful and delightful New Year's Eve. The service was good, however, the food was just mediocre from what the ratings suggested and was not much better than a Red Lobster. My Fiance order the scallops which were undercooked and so salty that she had to cut the top off just to find something edible and palatable. Although she commented as such to the manager he said that he would talk to the chef and promptly departed. My portion of prime rib was very minimal and the accompanying potatoes were of the quality that one would find from a crock pot and the presentation was by far inferior for such an expensive main course meal. We were more than disappointed with our very first experience at such a highly rated Boulder restaurant. Don S.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Takoma Park, MD
“Good but a little pricey and pretentious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I sat at the bar as I was by myself. They have a couple of decent beers on draft but that isn't the focus, there are several good bottle selections. The food is good but a limited menu. The restaurant was a bit noisy, and was filled with yuppies. It is easy to miss this place as it is just a door on the street on the west end of Pearl street, and the restaurant is on the second floor. There was a new restaurant being renovated on the first floor last time I was there.

Visited February 2012