“Superb Real Vietnamese Food In The Scary People's Republic” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French, Vietnamese
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Manila, Philippines
“Superb Real Vietnamese Food In The Scary People's Republic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

I normally avoid Boulder, Colorado like I do Donald Trump's barber and Pakistan. However, I happily make an exception when I want outstanding Vietnamese cuisine. Chez Thuy is where I get that cuisine.

Since 1996, my wife and I have been coming to this very popular, award-winning (many) restaurant on 28th Street. When you pull in, park out back where there are more spaces than the handful you see in front.

Rub Budda's belly for luck when you walk in. He is on the right.

Don't want to wait for a table? Get there early. Don't like to read? Then you won't like the massive menu.

Start with the fresh spring rolls with shrimp. Dip them in the hot (spicy) sauce. Oh, man.

Many people get the lettuce wraps. I like the stuffed grape leaves, which have a unique and wonderful flavor. The hot pots are also very popular, as are the soups (excellent pho). I order the amazing soft-shell crabs or the five-spice duck. My wife likes the pork spring rolls, as do I.

Occasionally service might be a bit slow, but we overlook that due to the quality of the food.

Do yourself a favor and hit Chez Thuy.

• Visited May 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Chicago, Illinois
“Disappointing since it was so crowded”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Since the restaurant was packed, I assumed it was great. Perhaps they were understaffed, but I found the service slow. The eggrolls were dry, and we didn't get enough lettuce to wrap them up. My pho had no flavor, but was like basic broth and noodles.

One good thing: a friend in our party left her purse there, and it was safely behind the counter when we went back to find it.

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
florida
“unfortunately terrible service and food quality”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

We've eaten here several times and it has been ok. Our recent trip was a disaster. We were seated 47 minutes after our reservation, the food took another 30 minutes to arrive, the order had errors in it and we ordered a to-go meal for a sick relative and it wasn't prepared! The final bill was incomprehensible so we don't even know if we over paid. The chicken used in the dishes was fatty and squishy.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
East Lansing, Michigan
“Trying to do too much - they should stick to the basics”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

The service was quite good. Some of the food was terrific and right on. For example, the pad thai was exceptional, and there's a dish it's easy to make mistakes on - noodles too dry or chewy, too much tamarind, not enough fish sauce for flavor depth. This dish was very well-executed. The chicken basil was not. The sauce was good enough and the chicken cooked well (neither underdone nor rubbery) but instead of the green beans on the menu the chef used broccoli, and the flavor profiles of Thai basil and broccoli are not well-suited for one another. The worst was a tofu sesame dish. It was the only tofu dish where the tofu was actually cooked (instead of hunks of un-fried or -seared mush) but everything was coated in a sickly-sweet sauce straight out of a can. Unimpressed.

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Best Boulder Lunch Value Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

We've been visiting Chez Thuy for the last six years on a regular basis. Excellent fresh food and best Value lunch in Boulder. Our family of five can get full of fresh and healthy food for under $40 and still have some leftovers to take home. Love this place!

• 5 of 5 stars Food