“Needs some attention” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Silver Saddle Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Boulder
Prices are for rooms, adults
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Boulder
Derby, K
“Needs some attention”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed here recently while my son was in school at CU. I tend to seek out older properties in Colorado for the nostalgia they offer. This motel has character but is sorely in need of attention. The cabin I stayed in was probably one of the original cabins built in the '40's. It was very basic, moderately clean but very worn. The telephone was dead, the air conditioner output was musty, the lamp wouldn't work and room cleaning was spotty at best. The kitchenette furnishings provided a challenge to prepare any kind of meal. But, the location is wonderful, peaceful and relaxing. Owners, please spend a little money in clean up and updating this property. I would probably stay here again hoping some changes can be made before I arrive next year.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the top level. (Not speaking of the motel)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Jackson, Wyoming, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We were going to Boulder to pick up a new puppy from the breeder. The trip was last minute and we weren't able to get a reservation anyplace in Boulder, so we knew we were in for a struggle. We pulled into the Silver Saddle about 7:30 PM and they were full. The owner made many calls trying to find a place for us elsewhere in town, but everyplace else in Boulder, Longmont was full, too. What to do....

Before we left we asked if they had anyplace we could sleep, even a foam pad in the parking lot! The owner allowed that they had a room that was being remodeled, but it didn't have a microwave; he'd give it to us for a discount. We were ecstatic.

The room was basic, comfortable and clean. No complaints there. (I've never used a microwave in a motel room, so *that* didn't bother me :-).

Bottom line - I'd stay at the Silver Saddle again in a heartbeat. It is not a fancy place, the rooms aren't as 'nice' as fancy places, but the people who own it are wonderful (and have a great dog!). I've stayed in lots of very expensive hotels, I'd take the Silver Saddle every time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights . The people that work there treated us like we were old friends. And for me it's all about feeling welcomed and comfortable. A real down home kind of place. The price was very reasonable.
So I now I will be staying here on my next visit..

• Stayed June 2013
Versailles, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed at the Silver Saddle June 23 - July 1, 2013. Our initial review started out with a much higher rating, but with our extended stay it crashed fast. Overall, this is a place to sleep and store your stuff with a great location. We will not be back.

Moving in was awesome. Our flight was delayed due to weather so we did not make it in till around 2am. The staff was great about accommodating our late arrival, given that the office closes at 9pm. We were able to get into our room with no problems. The only thing that we noticed is that our room we reserved had now changed, no big deal as we assumed all rooms were created equal....

Waking up on day one of our trip, we noticed that our reservation changed from double occupancy to single, yet our rate stayed the same. No problem except for the fact that single occupancy means one towel in the bathroom, a smaller fridge than what our neighbors had, and overall missing quite a few amenities expected... We brought this to the attention of the staff, and they just seemed confused and said that they would bring us anything we needed and room service would take care of towels, etc.. Not that big of a deal to us because we were just staying here to sleep and were gone most of the day.

We got in after 9 the first day, and noticed that room service had not come and we were still stuck with the one towel. I called the next morning asking if we could get some extra towels and the courteous staff obliged and met me outside with a few. I mentioned that room service had not made it by, and he mentioned that he would take care of that. They did come by that day, made the bed and hung up some fresh towels. What we figured out is that if you need service of any kind (towels, coffee, toilet paper, etc), you HAVE to call and ask... Nothing is automatic and the certainly do not go out of their way without being asked to do so.

Our trip happened to be during one of the hottest times of the year. Fortunately, these room have an ancient "swamp cooler" ac unit that sort of takes the edge off. We were instructed to open our windows and run that at full blast all day for comfort. The downside to this is that our room turned into a moldy, stinky mess! The carpet, bed sheets and all of our clothes accumulated moisture and never dried out. Our room and our clothes smelled terrible from day 3 till our trip was over. My advice would be to hang up your clothes in the car port and park outside. And definitely wear flip flops at all times in the room. Moisture built up on 50 year old carpet is not pleasant to walk on.

The kitchen was decent... The first thing I noticed was a sign that stated you would be charged $25-$50 if you didn't clean up your mess and leave the kitchen as you found it. This is not a problem with us, we always clean up our own mess. The only problem I had with this policy is that there were dirty dishes left behind and even a few empty food containers with crumbs in the cabinets... There was one package of maxwell house coffee that came with the room and was never re-supplied. We purchased some good coffee at the store along with filters to finish out our trip.

Overall, stay here if you want a step up from a tent. It is a great location and the staff was very friendly, but do not expect anything unless you ask for it. I had an extremely hard time not leaving a tip for the room service except for the fact that they only showed up twice during our 8 night stay (and we had to ask for it both times). Our room was dated, which is not a problem until we saw both of our neighbors rooms and noticed they had much better upgrades (including the room we were originally booked for and moved out of). After visiting with a few locals, the rumors are that the owner's are not putting any money into the place as they are waiting for the right offer to buy it out. The real estate value on that land must be insane! There is no way I could recommend this place to anyone...

Ending this, I must say that writing such a review really tugs at me. Our expectations are very low on a place like this and I was surprised that it turned out so much worse. We probably could have been moved to a better room and given more service, but we really didn't want to have to ask for it. We wanted to give the place a chance to prove themselves without us asking, and that did not happen...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed in cabin 14 for two nights. This place is desperately in need of some TLC. So sad, because it could be an awesome place to stay. The location is great near the park, the creek and Pearl St. and the Hill area. We walked to them all. There is access to the red rock hiking area just across the park. The blinds on the windows kept falling down, the lock on the front door was not very secure, the carpet needs to be replaced and overall the room needed a good scrubbing. The bed was old and stained. We took the dirty pillowcases to the office and the apologized profusely. We did not receive any maid service or fresh towels on our second day of our stay. I'd be hard pressed to stay here again, I'd try somewhere else first.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed at the Silver Saddle Motel over Memorial Day Weekend for our anniversary vacation. As other reviewers stated, the accommodations are quite small (we stayed in one of the little cabins), but seeing as it was our anniversary weekend, we thought it was quite cozy and quaint. We called the day that we were coming in to ask about possibly checking in late, and Will, one of the managers, was more than helpful. He informed us that we could come whenever we wanted and that he would leave our key for us, and that if we needed anything that they would be just next door watching a movie, and that we could feel free to knock if we needed anything. Some reviewers said that the buildings seemed "run down", well they're certainly not new, but we were actually told that they are part of Boulder's historical registry! Kind of cool! One of the best parts I feel like was the location of the motel itself. It's about a 3 minute drive to downtown Boulder, or about a 10 minute walk using the Boulder Creek Trail. There are several trailheads within a short walking distance as well, and my husband and I took advantage of this and hiked up in the Red Rock trails. The views were great! Overall, we had a wonderful time, the staff really went above and beyond to make sure that we had everything we needed during our stay. Would definitely come back and stay again!

Room Tip: Go for one of the small cabins for a more intimate and quaint experience!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mpls, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed for three days in the biggest suite offered in the motel. The staff was welcoming and pleasant. The suite had two bedrooms and had nice views of the mountains from the windows. It's just on the outer edge of Boulder and one of the last buildings before you head into the canyons. The rooms were fairly clean. The bathroom was alright - no rust stains or mildew going on but there was a hair from a previous occupant in the shower. The furnishings were a bit drab and worn. Some of the curtains had stains on them. I personally wouldn't stay here again but there is probably enough character to the place for the adventurous traveler who enjoy rustic places in rustic surroundings.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Silver Saddle Motel? Share your experiences!