“Very tasty and great service to boot - highly recommended” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Oak at Fourteenth is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 508 Restaurants in Boulder
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 14th Street
Transit: Oak at Fourteenth is located on the Pearl Street Mall two blocks away from the main RTD station.
Munich
“Very tasty and great service to boot - highly recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My partner and I loved our dinners at Oak, and we found the service to be just great.
First the service: the staff were all attentive. They did not hover, but they seemed to notice everything and respond and anticipate with just the right timing. We felt like the timing was perfect – not rushed, no time spent wondering when they would get around to the next step, everything just when it ought to have been. And if you wanted to catch someone's eye there was none of that "I'm looking through you, you do not exist" sort of thing which plagues so many meals these days. They are there for their customers and you really feel it.
We both ordered steaks – hers medium rare, mine rare. It was hard to see which was which but we were both happy with the doneness. Ours was the chipotle- rubbed strip loin with creamed corn and basil, with spring onions and wild mushrooms. The taste was excellent, as was the presentation. The creamed corn, et al complemented the strip loin perfectly. Delicious; not cheap, but well worth it, and compared to a few places around you might argue it’s a bargain. The menu is full of dishes which are temping and offer many creative twists. A group with a wide range of preferences would be very happy with the selections I should think. There is no burger on the dinner menu, but there is one on the lunch menu and looks to be fantastic.
There are 54 beers on the drinks menu. The only draft is a Belgian- style wheat beer. It was good, but the bowl- shaped glass probably held only 10 - 12oz and it was half foam. For $10, I thought that was a bad deal. There were no Hefe-Weizens so next I had a Kristall Weissbier, 500ml for $12 – still pretty expensive. It was poured into a wine glass, not a Weissbierglas. Many of the other beers on the list were quite expensive and might have merited such a treatment, but a Weissbier in a wine glass is over the top in my book. There were a number of modestly- priced beers too. They have a wine list, which I did not check this time.
The atmosphere was lively, the décor bright and simple, almost minimalist. There is a large wall of glass with an angled view to the Pedestrainians walking the Pearl Street Mall and there is a long, long bar (for eating but I suppose you could just go enjoy nibbles and craft beers, too.)
To sum up: great food and service, excellent, creative eats and an extensive list of high- end beers.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

San Diego, California
“Yummy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Went here for business dinner - service was excellent, food delicious and drinks superb!!! Definitely recommend - the small plates are great to share and the desserts are heavenly. Should be ranked #1.

Visited August 2013
San Jose, California
“Happy surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Our friends picked this and boy, am I grateful! We had a fabulous creative lunch. A salad of kale and chopped almonds -- so excellent that my husband and I ordered it again for dessert!

Visited August 2013
Boulder, Colorado
“Love the menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Every time I go to Oak they have something interesting and different on the menu - this happens for both lunch and dinner. I recently had their and grits special. It is the best I have ever had and I hope they have it as a special again. The service is good as each server is knowledgeable about what is available and they can describe textures and flavors. Itis one of those places where you are sorry the meal is finished - you don't want to leave. I love the chef's innovative, interesting food.

Visited June 2013
“Didn't deliver on hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We visited for the first time to celebrate our anniversary and were sadly disappointed. The dishes seemed to focus more on presentation than flavor balance. The salad was over citrused so that no other flavors shone, and my shrimp entree was so over cooked that I sent it back. The scallops dish was the highlight of our meal and worth every penny. The drink menu is also interesting, with options for the traditional and adventurous imbiber. Prices are steep. Overall, we were incredibly disappointed. We won't return.

• Visited June 2013