“I was happy to have stayed there” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Foot of the Mountain Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Boulder
Foot of the Mountain Motel
You added Foot of the Mountain Motel to your Saves list
200 W Arapahoe Ave, Boulder, CO 80302   |
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Boulder
Boston
“I was happy to have stayed there”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I was mostly looking for a place to use as a base for day hiking in the Indian Peaks. I was attracted to the west side of town location and reasonable price. I was a bit wary because the reviews here seem very polar - folks either love it or hate it. That is hard to reconcile. In the end, I was quite happy to have stayed here.

It's small. The rooms are quaintly rustic. On a side street next to the river. I was worried about amenities (after all, as many reviews note, bring your own shampoo and the soap bars are tiny!). But the beds were firm as I like them, big pillows (and I'm a big pillow kind of person!) and the towels plush and and soft (though hardly huge like a luxury hotel). The room was quite clean and was cleaned well every day, the plumbing worked, hot water really hot!

I liked the fact that it is small and friendly, you can feel the Boulder vibes. Other guests were friendly and we chatted some. We enjoyed eating our take out dinner on the picnic table one cool evening. Mark in the office would give us our breakfast danish the evening before as we were off hiking before he opened in the morning. Always hot water and tea available in the office, and often some fresh fruit. Very relaxed vibe.

The only issue is the AC, and it is an issue, and should be a deal breaker for some. Now we were there during some very hot summer days (may have set a record in Denver) and when we'd get back to our room late afternoon, it would be pretty hot and stuffy. But there was a high quality fan for each bed. And, in the evening, there was a nice cool downslope breeze from the mountain which would blow through the room and cool it nicely. Just had to tie up the curtains to get good air flow (someone complained about poor curtains? Ha, now they are totally darkening!). Yes if there had been AC I would have turned it on. But there isn't, and the owners are very clear about that when they confirm your reservation, so should be no surprises here. For me, on very hot days, it worked. If I'd stayed in my room all day I would probably not have been comfortable, but why would I come to Boulder, one of the outdoor recreation centers of the world, to stay in my room? Even if it's a cute room...

Electric outlets were a bit limited but I always travel with an extension cord. Fridge was a bit loud but we didn't hear it when we had the fans running. The fans were good, nice breeze, adjustable, and not too noisy.

The river is a nice attraction, but attracts family crowds on the weekend. That's not an issue. One night there was a wild party there and it was really noisy. Just when I was getting ready to call the police, they quieted down and left. Peaceful after that.

Note that though you can walk to the Pearl Street restaurant district, it's nearly a (flat) mile each way. But the location is super to get on the road headed west and up into the mountains in the morning. And it's a pleasant motel to return to at the end of your day; after a few days it feels like coming home.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Bridgette L, Manager at Foot of the Mountain Motel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you for the thoughtful and lengthy review! It was so informative for our potential guests. You are so correct in your evaluation that this older but well kept motel is not for everyone but we do have wonderful guests, lots of fresh air and warm hospitality. We hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Palm Coast, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Location is lovely. You can hear the water rushing. Park for hiking across the road with a private access. Room basic, but adequete. Nice simple breakfast put out in the am. Owner very friendly. Dog friendly.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

The motel was very nice and at a great price. It's tucked away in a neighborhood, which made it quiet. The service could not have been better. The guy in the office (I want to say his name was Matt, but I can't remember) was as friendly and welcoming as we could've asked for. He was accommodating when we thought we weren't going to be in 'til long after the office hours (because the highways were closed due to snow). The simple breakfast (juice boxes and packaged danishes) in the morning was just enough to get us going and back on the road. The room was clean, the view of the snow covered mountain was beautiful and it's close enough to the downtown area that nothing is too far away. It was not a luxury resort by any means, but it did the trick for a quick stopover in Boulder.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were driving to New Mexico from Minnesota and wanted the drive to be great, too. We had driven from Omaha and were tired, but they were so welcoming here and the setting was so beautiful we wanted to stay longer! A nice walk over to Pearl Street for dinner was recommended by our host and he was spot on! We loved our cozy, cabin like room and it was just steps to coffee and rolls for breakfast the next morning. If you appreciate unique charm, you'll love The Foot of The Mountain!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Omaha, ne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We loved everything about this place! prices are very reasonable, we stayed in the 2 bedroom suite and it was very spacious. We loved the location. The staff was very friendly and were very good at giving directions and giving lots of great advice. We would love to come back this summer and stay with our girls.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Salida, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

What a great little tucked away gem! Nice, cozy and gorgeous. Was there in winter but I'm sure it's even more awesome in warmer months when you can stroll down Boulder Creek to get to town and back. So convenient. Really nice and accommodating folks.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

The room was very nice, cozy. The views were gorgeous! The staff was very friendly. The only complaint I had was the nose coming from the room next door. They were polite enough to keep it down after ten pm, and they were never really loud or rambunctious, but the walls were just a little too thin for someone who really needed to sleep after twelve hours of driving, looking forward to another day of twelve hours of driving. It wasn't bad enough to complain about, and the fresh air and beauty made up for it, just something to be aware of.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Bridgette L, Manager at Foot of the Mountain Motel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you for appreciating our very special property. Although rooms are well sealed for heating comfort there is a noise challenge if your neighbors forget there are people next door as well. It is always good to remember that if a guest wants a quiet place to stay, which most of our guests do, that it is pertinent for guests sharing a common wall to understand this too.

Been to Foot of the Mountain Motel? Share your experiences!