“So-so” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 20 hotels in Boulder
Denver, Colorado
“So-so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I'm writing just to soften (not necessarily counter) the web site image. Good things: The Boulder Mountain Lodge is very close to downtown Boulder. You will feel like you are far away but it's just a few minutes up the road. Also, our room was very clean. Finally, the staff was very accommodating when the first room we booked (despite being a 'non-smoking' room) smelled like someone had just smoked a whole pack of unfiltered Camels inside. Oh well. They switched us quickly and were apologetic. Not-so-good things: it seems that there are people who live in some of the units. This gives the place a different sort of vibe. When we were there, they had the doors open and televisions on. Also, the exterior is a bit more dingy than it appears on the website. Finally, the canyon is so steep that the lodge is in a fairly dark spot. The rooms look out over the parking lot. Great location and you're in the hills but not exactly super spiffy. This was based on one brief stay so keep that in mind.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Boulder, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

When booking I was told the room had a view, no view outside of a roof top! Hot tub is dirty, old and doesn't work properly. No AC. Rooms are less than clean (spider webs, dirty baseboards, dusty fake plant, patch marks on wall that weren't even painted over!) poorly decorated and overall shabby. Living in Boulder I am aware of much better and more affordable places to stay, just thought we'd check this place out and needless to say we will not return. Do yourself a favor, learn from my mistake and seek an alternative; goddess Motel 8 would beat this hovel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Norwood, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

The professional photos of Boulder Mountain Lodge did not match what I experienced during my recent stay there. My husband and I met our daughter and dog there and stayed for two nights in a "suite". The bedroom was just okay and the bed was relatively comfortable. However, it did not appear clean. The kitchen area was small and not very utilitarian. It was fine for snacks, but not much more. The real problem was with the pull-out sofa. It was old, soft, and unmade. My daughter had to use her sleeping bag over the mattress because it was so lop-sided. We needed to contact the office because they did not provide enough soap and towels for three people. The lock on the door was not working properly--the cylinder was loose and it was necessary to push it in as you opened the lock with the key. It took us at least 5 minutes one evening to open the door.
Rustic is one thing, but this room was notr well-maintained . The sheets were too small for the bed and seemed a bit dingy. The location was fine--away from the city, but very close by. However, given all of the issues we had, I would hesitate to go back there.

Room Tip: We were in Room 23. This is not an updated room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We (2 adults/2 children) just returned yesterday from our week-stay and were very pleased with our stay here and even wished we'd brought our pet along! Guest rooms are separated into 3 sections: no pets; pets; and kitchenettes (and a few stand-alone larger suites/cabins).

Rooms are spacious and beds are EXTRA FIRM, but at the end of the day we were so tired that we slept like rocks anyway (no pun intended). The kitchens are well-equipped with utensils and pots/pans, even a sponge and soap with kitchen towels and a fresh dish towel changed daily. There is no a/c in the units but we slept with the small fan provided in the room and kept the windows open and did not feel uncomfortable.

We have stayed in many hotels where the walls are very thin and I am happy to report we did not hear our neighbors at all. It was a very quiet place and maybe we lucked out but all guests were very respectful. I liked the cozy breakfast - it not only provided a good meal (continental breakfast provided: bagels/cream cheese/jelly/fruits/bread/cereals/oatmeal packets/granola bars/hot cocoa/tea/coffee), but it also provided some camaraderie among the guests. We were able to talk to one another about places hiked, recommendations, etc. Even though it was a small place to eat, there are plenty of tables outside to enjoy your breakfast or you could take the food back to your room. There are also laundry facilities onsite which helped us pack lighter for our hiking trip to Colorado.

If you're looking for a luxury spa getaway, this is not the place for you. Here you get the basics at an affordable price, beautiful surroundings and 5 minutes drive time to downtown Boulder. We'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I came up to Boulder to do some yoga at the Richard Freeman studio. Problem is, I like to cook instead of eat out, and I have 2 little Italian Greyhounds. That being said, where I can stay is usually very limited, as I need a kitchen/kitchenette and a place that will allow TWO dogs!

I found both here at the lodge. It's nestled right into the mountain which is at the base of one of the awesome loop trails (many bikers), although you have to hike about 30 minutes up to get to the loop. It's right next to the Boulder Creek, which flows along the Canyon Road to get up here...also along the trails. So needless to say, we have been hiking every day so far! You don't even have to drive to any of them, except Boulder Falls, which is about 6 more miles up the Canyon Road.

Anyways - kitchenette, pet-friendly, rolling stream, hiking trails, base of mountain. What else could one want!!

They also have a weekly rate that is reduced, making a yoga trip even more affordable! You just give up your daily maid service, but seriously, who wants people in your stuff every day anyways. You can ask for anything that you need - more towels, pillowcases (after the dogs sleep on them), soad, etc.

It's an older lodge, but let's just say it has character. Everyone is really nice here and they keep everything in nice condition. It's cozy, remote, welcoming.

I highly recommend - especially based on location and price for Boulder. It's RIGHT in the mountains! Only about 4 miles from town, which you could bike to on their loaner bikes. As you can tell, I could go on...I am really enjoying it here! And so are the girls!

Room Tip: I got the kitchenette and have been making almost all of my meals here. I brought some of my own dis...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

Lovely little place out of the crowds and noise of Boulder. Serene setting, creek flowing through property was prefect for my dog to play in. Nice clean small pool, hot tub (jets were too weak) right next to pool creekside. There was music in the pavilion the night we stayed and it was wonderful to listen to Micheal Franti while sitting on the porch. We stayed in room 21, spacious with a kitchen and semi private front yard. Great for privacy and dogs. DOWN SIDES 1. no A/C in rooms, it was 100 in Boulder the weekend we were there. It was very warm in the room until quite late. Room did have 2 powerful table fans. 2. Bed was really hard and uncomfortable. So much so that I couldn't sleep through the night. Wish that was different because everything else was quite nice.

• Stayed July 2012
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

The bride hoped her guests would all book their stay here and get to know each other. After I read several reviews, I hesitated but went along with her wishes.
As the date approached and Boulder predicted temperatures were in the low 90s, my wife and I feared sleeping without A/C.
I really do not understand how our room stays cool in the daytime, but it does. Nights are cooler; sleep is blissful.
Our unit, #34, is comfotable, well lit, clean, equipped w fridge, microwave, dish soap, TV, free Wifi.
This is a beautiful green setting,in the mountains yet close to Boulder restos and shopping. Coffee, toast, cereals, yoghurt and fruits are provided for included breakfast. Free bicycles. Mountain life.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a spa, not ours. I don't know what they'd be like
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Boulder Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!