“Don't eat at the buffet” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 11 Attractions in Black Hawk
Loveland, Colorado
“Don't eat at the buffet”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

This buffet has decent food. However, the lines that you will wait in to get food will be ridiculous. We waited in line to get seated only to find out that the line was to get a buzzer to come back in an hour and a half. When it buzzed, we ended up in an even longer line to get in to the restaurant. This line was to pay. Then you wait in another line to get seated. Then there is this crazy line for the crab legs. The first people in line will walk of with a tower of crab legs on two plates. They ran out of crab legs, prime rib, and ice cream while we were there. The variety of food is good, but if you have a polite bone in your body-- you won't get much of it. This experience was so bad, it was somewhat fascinating.

Denver Area
“Hotel Rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

Stayed in a comped smokers room on the 17th floor. Room was nice for a basic room. Was on the back side so view left a lot to be desired. Request an odd numbered room and it will face Central City and have much better view. The only complaint I would have is the shower. Water flow was horrible and couldn't get the water temp stable.

Las Vegas, Nevada
10 attraction reviews
“Finest Casino in Colorado”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

First off let me say that I’m from Las Vegas so I know casinos. My family brought me up to Black Hawk to show off their newest, bestest hotel and casino the Ameristar. Of course it’s no Bellagio or MGM Grand but I must admit I was impressed. It’s definitely the best biggest and nicest casino you’re going to find in Colorado or any of the Rocky Mountain states. There’s a two story “lodge” style casino. I’ve never been to the Mohegan Sun in Connecticut but for some reason I get that vibe here. They have all the same slots you’re going to find in Las Vegas (Class III gaming) and I’d say probably about the same odds as well.

My mom joined the player’s club; nothing to sign up and no new bonuses or promotions for new members. We all played on her cards and earned about $10 in comps. We ate at the Waypost Deli which was very good.

So, I’d have to say if you’re in the Black Hawk/Central City area I highly recommend that you visit the Ameristar. They’ve got a great casino, lots of restaurants, a spa, and one of the tallest hotel towers in the area. If you stay here, I hear they have an awesome indoor pool on the top floor. And yes, I tried to get up there to check it out but needed a room key in the elevator to do so.

disneyfairy
3 attraction reviews
“Very Disappointing experience!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

We live about hour from Black Hawk and have been to this Casino before. We thought the machines were pretty tight but the service and buffet were so good it kept us coming back. well not anymore!

We went for Valentine's brunch and what used to be a wonderful buffet has gone WAY downhill. Most of the trays were empty and what was there was dried up and looked disgusting. We decided that maybe that had just had a rush and we would give them about 20 minutes to replenish and try again - well when we went back it was even worse. I asked for a manager and he went around with me and agreed it was very bad but told me they were short staffed and if we wanted to wait around for an HOUR we could have dinner but we were finished and felt he should have taken off the price of at least one of our meals considering we paid almost $20.00 each and only ate desserts!!!

THEN as we were walking around we notice the Daytona 500 was ending and decided we would like to see that. The bar was full so we sat down in some comfy chairs (of which there were plenty) and brought our beers we had just ordered while playing video poker - well, we were told we could NOT sit in the bar and drink our beers unless they charged us for them! We had to leave the bar and stand out side of it or pay for our beer - which were the first we ordered after playing for 3 hours!
This was a female bartender and boy was she having a bad day!

We will be going back to The Lodge where we have been going for years with a consistently delicious buffet, friendly people and a tiny bit looser machines.

So sad as Ameristar is such a beautiful place and they spend MILLIONS on advertising just treat people so badly when they get them in the place.

PA
5 attraction reviews
“Nice place but comps are awful”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2010

If you play tables games, you will get next to no comps. After probably 20 hours of BJ, I finally had enough points for a buffet, and they still want to charge me for a room. Funny thing is I get comped suites in AC and LV and this penny-ante place is the ultimate tightwad.