“Saturday Getaway” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Black Hawk
Lakewood, Colorado
“Saturday Getaway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I snuck up to the mountains to get away for a night. Check in and out time was 10 minutes each way. I thought that was too long of a wait. Bed was very comfortable with a newer mattress. TV was an average flat panel with average cable line up. Bath room had a shower tub combo and was clean, also included was a coffee maker with decent coffee. Room furniture was older but in decent shape. Worst part of room was lack of working AC. Casino floor was very fun and very busy. I saw some one win a straight flush on the let it ride progressive.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Quinlan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We checked into the Hotel Oct 09, 2013 and checked out Oct 11, 2013. Upon arrival to Room # 507, the temperature was very warm. The air conditioner would not come on. I reported the situation, in person, at the check-in desk. The "lady" there, stated the air conditioner was turned of as of Sep 01, 2013 and that is how it is done up here. She further stated to crack the window, turn off the fan, and if we are hot to go outside, to cool off. My first reason to always stay at the Ameristar.

Opening the window did help but also allowed the stink, from the eateries or kitchens to enter the room and also you could hear the vehicles in the parking lot and the people talking. The television stations could only be changed by holding the remote control above your head, at arm's length, or standing up. There is no need to request a wake-up call, as the room service representatives will wake you, by slamming and banging the room doors at 8 A.M. Another reason to stay at the Ameristar.

We travel exstensively, and the buffet was the absolute worst we had ever sampled. This will make them number one on the worst food list. The Isle had only one valet working and he was running himself into an early grave. Yes, another reason to stay at the Ameristar.

We travel in and out of the country and this will never be a stop for us again........

Room Tip: Ameristar rooms are the ones to request.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Ok, so the rooms are a little old, and not as fancy or elaborate as other hotels in Blackhawk, but they are clean, comfortable and quiet. I love the fact that the rooms have windows that actually open... The staff was was friendly.... the food options are good.... and the casino area is very nice.... I actually came out a bit ahead... and had a great time doing it.... I highly recomend joining the players club.... my last stay was totally comped... free room... ten dollar dining credit.... and 25.00 cash..... I love the vibe of the Isle....and I'm looking forward to my next visit....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Lahaina, Hawaii
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I play a fair amount of poker and was in Blackhawk for a tournament. I always research the area on line (trip advisor) before I go on a trip. I didnt stay at the Isle (was on a comp. elsewhere) but decided to check out their poker room. They have lots of good advertising and promotions. What a disapointment, both scheduled tournaments had canceled which I later heard is normal so I decided to grab a seat in a cash game. There was only two tables open one with six players one with five. Just as I sat down at the table with five players an argument broke out between the dealer and the player in the #3. I watched the show and figured the guy was just on tilt or being a butthead, although his argument WAS valid, he left very upset. I soon found out that the dealer had no idea what she was doing and at the same time very rude. She'd say the stupidist things it was almost like she was making up the rules as she went. I three bet one hand and she actually told me I couldnt do that? I lost interest in that game fast, there's plenty other places to play and decided to leave. One friendly guy at the table I had been talking to asked me a question and as we where saying goodbye the dealer cut in and told me I had to leave. I wasnt sure I had heard her right because in all my years of poker I had never heard anyone being told to leave, especially a poker room in desperate need of customers at a half empty table. Im pretty easy going and I hate confrontation so I said OK and then she repeated herself only louder as if trying to invoke an argument, she even stopped table play to do so, unreal !! I didnt ablige I just left. I see now why a nice poker room sits empty.

Room Tip: Check all the promos. There are some good ones
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We spent $169 bucks roughly including taxes and fees, which we had no problem paying for even though it was a Wednesday night on aug 15th. What a disappointment. The rooms are clean even though they are outdated.the details are overlooked from a service point of view they miss it. With the choices I can have in the small area I will choose another place to stay. We had a jacuzzi room with a tub that had only 3 jets that actually worked (room 556) the tub had some weird foam that accumulated that we only noticed after asking each other did they put soap or something in the tub, only to find out it was already there. Gross. There is no bottled water in the room, nor was there any in the vending machine on the 5 th floor. Only soda. I called down and asked heather at the front desk to speak to the mod "manager in duty" for the hotel and was told at 1:30 am she had left a couple hours ago. Fine, she connected me to the casino mod, Antwon I think..I explained the water issue and he immediately sent some up within minutes. Even though he could have ignored the hotel aspect of the business he made it right, thank you! Details are lacking, smoking areas are dirty and feel 3 rd. class no room service available, which seems very strange considering they offer food of some sort 24 hrs. Again service. They have updated carpet in our room and 5th floor hallways, but the furniture in the rooms are outdated and definitely shows wear, water rings, peeling 80's whitewashed veneer and southwest style lamps with burned out bulbs. I would not recommend paying for a room here, but if you have a coupon for free, you shouldn't be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here for one night.
The man at check in was very friendly. We booked last minute on the phone and they only had a smoking room. At check in, asked if they had any non smoking rooms open up and the man upgraded us to a suite.

5th floor. The suite was clean and updated. New sofa, same furniture but it looked nice.
The beds were okay for sleeping, I had a strange pillow with really firm corners.
Room was quiet.
Wifi worked well.
Cable channels available.
No table or desk which we would have liked.
Safe in the room, ironing board, coffee maker.

The bathroom.
It was clean, shower floor looked stained but I don't know if it was or if it was the way it was supposed to look.
Cauling in shower was gross.
Had a jetted tub, worked well.

Casino is nice, variety of machines. Had a little bit of luck.
Self service beverage stations, nice smoking areas, well, they are covered and have heat lamps.
I was asked several times from a cocktail waitress if I needed anything to drink.

The only food we had there was from room service.
You order on the phone and have to go down and pick up your food, they do not deliver to the room. Good hamburgers.

I would stay here again only if our favorite hotel was full and that is why we stayed here this time.

They have a very very small arcade for kids. Two driving machines and the rest are the claw machines. Teens are able to go from rooms to food places and arcade without adults. The arcade states children under 18 must have an adult with them. Don't bring your kids here, there is not enough to do. And no swimming pool here.

Room Tip: Ask if the room has been upgraded.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Elizabeth, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our family celebrated a 92nd birthday at the Isle of Capri. All agreed “this was the best gambling trip ever! We are mostly slot machine people. Yes there were winners in our group, four large jackpots! Yes, there were unhappy people in our group who won a little and proceeded to feed it all back to the machine. Some of the slots are better and some not so. I don’t understand some of the earlier comments, so either something has changed or they were in the wrong place.

This was my first stay at the hotel. Check-in was check-in. This was the first time I’ve been asked if I want the Jacuzzi in the bedroom or the bathroom! There was a nice gentleman at the desk and two ladies. We had reservations, so everything was quickly accomplished. Unfortunately there were a few remarks among our group about the lack of happy friendly staff travelers come to expect. Our interpretation is the people work there for one thing, money, not enjoyment.

Our room was clean and comfortable, with the bedroom Jacuzzi I requested. We didn't care about view, since we generally don't go to the room until the wee hours of the morning and we know one side of the hotel only views cut-away Rocky Mountain covered with shot-creat. We were only there for two nights and chose the green option, so our linens weren’t freshened, but we were given $10 at check-out.

The Casino is the main reason we stayed at the Isle. The venue is a favorite of the birthday boy. They have lots of penny machines, video poker, craps, plus the usual gaming tables. Pay-out rate for the quarters is fairly tight. The $1, $2 and $5 machines are the place to go if you want to win 4 place pay-outs. Beverage servers seemed to come around quite often. I’m sure there are no timed delays.

We didn’t eat at Faraday’s Steakhouse, but some of our group did and said it was delicious. We ate mostly at the Calypso Buffet. I’m not a buffet fan, but the evening dinner of unlimited crab legs must be a favorite for most diners. I loved the salads and oriental options plus ice cream on top of homemade tasting apple cobbler. The made-to-order omelets for breakfast and lunch are amazing and so is the lady who makes them.

The overall structure, entrance, and gambling facility looks and feels dated, but once you enter the guest rooms; you’ve entered the current century in luxurious comfort.

Room Tip: The junior suites are worth a little extra with the jacuzzi included but if you're there to gamb...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Isle Casino Hotel Black Hawk? Share your experiences!