“Surprisingly....Not all that!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Beaver Creek
Delaware
“Surprisingly....Not all that!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed at the Pines Lodge for a spur of the moment ski trip to Colorado. Unfortunately spur of the moment means take what you can get for lodging. This hotel was really out of our price range but we decided to splurge and go for 4 nite stay. I was expecting to be wowed for the approx. $400 a nite cost but sadly I really wasn't. During my stay little things kept eroding away at my desire to absolutely love this place. Here's the good first and lastly ,the not so great:
-The staff was super friendly, always willing to help out with directions, ideas of things to do, etc
-The room wasn't that large but had lovely bedding, thick robes for both of us, and great towels.
-We loved the Starbucks coffee stand that was set up each morning in our hallway. However I wouldn't want to be the residents of the rooms by that area. It was noisy and each morning different group of kids, sent by their parents, would commander the entire thing. I am a major kid lover but these entitled little rich kids were beyond annoying! They also took over the pool and hot tub so we actually went back to our room several times after trying to take a dip. Never got in either, the first during all the years of ski vacations I've taken.
-The onsite restaurant was absolutely fabulous for dinner. It gets very crowded so don't forget to make reservations. It's a "don't miss".
-The breakfast buffet was very tasty and varied but $30 for hotel guests, really? The first day I loved it but by day 5 I was so over it. The offerings were wonderful but they don't change from day to day. I also think for that price a cup of cappucino would be included. No, alas, you must pay if you'd like one. We would definitely have tried somewhere else to eat but you're a captive audience at this hotel. There is NO where else to go unless you get your car out of valet. (All c ars are valeted, no self parking,) There's nothing within walking distance.
-No paper delivery, another thing you'd come to expect at a hotel of this caliber.
-We found the walls to be thin and could hear the family next door. We knew when they got up and when they went to bed.
-The ski valet was non-existent when we were there in peak season. No one ever helped with our skis and I actually slipped on the icy stairs going down to the locker area, with my skis. Also as for being ski in/ski out good luck with that one. We did it but it's a hike, lots of poling. Trying to find the trail to get back at night was beyond frustrating. It took us 2 days to find it!
-The food from room service at night was abyssmal. We had some chicken dish that we couldn't even begin to saw thru!
Overall a nice hotel but I hated the feeling of being held captive the whole time. I love to put on all the winter weather gear at night and go for long walks thru the town or village, stopping in at litte cafes or shops. There's none of that here. I found the whole "purpose built" atmosphere of Beaver Creek to be a major snooze. Sadly I don't ever see myself going back.

Room Tip: they list all rooms as "superior". Ours was small so I'm not sure what consitutes supe...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Pines L, Front Office Manager at The Pines Lodge, A RockResort, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear KitKat09, Thank you for the feedback on your recent visit. Although there are some highlights of your experience I will share with team members, I do apologize for not exceeding your expectations on all facets of the Beaver Creek experience. This is something we will review with management to better service each of our guest. - Brett Schreiber

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Southlake, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Pros: ski in/ski out, ski valet (they store your skis and poles at night--less lugging of gear), friendly, efficient staff (front desk, bell hop, bartender, housekeeping), quiet rooms, easy shuttle transportation, great hot tub. Cons: not a large airy lobby with fireplace and bar--doesn't make you want to hang out there. Double queen room accommodated 2 adults and 2 teens efficiently. All in all a nice value.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Annieb40, Thank you for sharing your experience of you recent visit to The Pines. I always enjoy hearing great comments about our team and I will definitely share this with all of the staff. We did recently have a remodel in the lobby and would like to invite you back to The Pines to experience the wood burning fireplace, warm cookies, hot chocolate and cider everyday at 3:30pm after you get off the slopes. Thanks again for your review and we hope to see you soon.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

I can't think of one thing that wasn't just perfect during our stay at the Pines. We were there 3 nights before Christmas and found every staff member to be incredibly helpful, jovial and accommodating. The room was luxurious and comfortable, with plenty of space for 4 people and their ski clothes/boots. The filtered drinking water provided in glass bottles in the room was just wonderful, it was so nice to have those, and have them refilled so promptly when asked! The pool was warm and clean, a beautiful peaceful setting, and the hot tub was perfect after skiing in the cold all day. Internet worked perfectly, beds were comfortable and the room temp was easy to control.

We only tried the breakfast buffet at the restaurant and it was definitely worth it - delicious!!! I can only imagine how good dinner would be there. And of course the chocolate chip cookies in the lobby at 3 each day were wonderful (on the days when we weren't getting them at the base of the lifts).

The location is just perfect, just a few minutes' walk from the village and lifts via the ski in/out trail. Very convenient whether walking or skiing. We used the shuttle a couple times at first but preferred the trail once we discovered how close we were to everything!

I'm going back as soon as I can!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Pines L, General Manager at The Pines Lodge, A RockResort, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear stephanie a,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. Our water on the rocks filtered water program is a hit with all our guests. It is very important to stay hydrated while staying at altitude and the program also eliminates use of plastic disposable containers.

Please come back and visit us again soon!

Regards,

wmacfarlane@vailresorts.com
Windsor, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Pines Lodge for two nights and loved the place. This hotel is a ski in and out hotel, it does take some pushing to do it as the area is very flat from the ski lift. If you would prefer they have a shuttle that leaves every fifteen minutes to and from the chair lift, the shuttle is prompt and the drivers very helpful. This same shuttle will take you to and from the village at night as well, you just call and they will drop you off or pick you up.
The hotel had free Starbucks coffee on our floor every morning from 7:30- 10:00 am, A nice touch, just walk down the hall and get it.
Lastly the employees were great, from the front desk to to the guys that helped load the car or get your skis for you. You will not find a nicer or more helpful group of people. I wish I had payed more attention to names so I could list them here.
The rooms are nice and finished with pine wood all over giving the hotel a casual look. The beds were extremely comfortable and the heat system was quiet and efficient- some hotels put those darn noisy systems that wake you up every time they come on.
Our room had a refrigerator and worked great. While we did not eat at the hotel the restaurant
looked nice and was rather expensive. I wish I could say something negative about the place but I would be lying. I will definitely stay there again

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Pines L, General Manager at The Pines Lodge, A RockResort, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear rakramer,

Thank you for posting about your recent stay with us! Always glad to hear how helpful and friendly our staff was to our guests. Please come back and see us the next time you are coming to Beaver Creek!

Kind Regards,
Malibu, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Wow where do I start? Beaver Creek is stunning and The Pines Lodge is the place to stay. I had a large king room with a great view. The bed was great, the room was very comfortable and spacious. Free internet is a nice plus. I have to admit I didn't spent a lot of time in the room and I don't think you will ether. The bar and restaurant are really great. And the Ski Rental right inside the hotel is always a great thing. I would go back here in an instant if I go back.

Room Tip: My room looked out over the Valley and Village of Beaver Creek. Ask for a working humidifier.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear the colonel1215,

Thank you for posting about your recent stay! I am so glad that you enjoyed Beaver Creek and the hotel! Please come back soon and try out the Grouse Mountain Grill Restaurant – # 1 out of 61 restaurants in Beaver Creek on Trip Advisor.

Regards,

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We just finished another great weekend at the Pines. This place is the best - great location, great facilities and great staff. The shuttle to the Village is convenient and runs all the time. The pool and hot tub is always a kid favorite. Rooms are nice and big and the view is 2nd to none.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Pines L, General Manager at The Pines Lodge, A RockResort, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Jason C,

Thank you for posting about your recent stay at the Pines Lodge! I am so glad that you enjoyed Beaver Creek and the hotel! Please come back soon and try out the Grouse Mountain Grill Restaurant – # 1 out of 61 restaurants in Beaver Creek on Trip Advisor.

Happy Holidays!

Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We had such a nice stay last year for Thanksgiving that we decided to repeat our trip for this year. There was a mistep in reservations when I tried booking an extra night. Was quickly resolved and front desk upgraded us for free. Another nice surprise is they started their breakfast buffet up again that week so we didn't have to go into the Village to eat each morning. For the price you really can't beat this place. A smaller venue for sure, but done very well. Staff is very accomodating. Warm cookies and hot cocoa are served each day at 3:30pm in the front lobby. We just love coming here for Thanksgiving week. Be sure to check out free ice skating show followed by fireworks in The Village they have on Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. A great way to kick off the holiday season.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear kfriel,

Thank you for posting about your recent stay at the Pines Lodge over Thanksgiving! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay so much in 2012 you decided to repeat the trip in 2013. Glad to hear the one misstep regarding your reservation was resolved to your satisfaction. Look forward to your next visit to Beaver Creek.

Happy Holidays,

Tivoli Lodge
#1 of 34 in Vail
5.0 of 5 stars 913 reviews
Hyatt Mountain Lodge Beaver Creek by East West Resorts

Been to The Pines Lodge, A RockResort? Share your experiences!