“3.5 stars, soon to be better” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Tee Up & Wind Down
Ranked #3 of 21 hotels in Beaver Creek
San Francisco
“3.5 stars, soon to be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

My review is going to be moot very soon because they're about to do a major reno where I think (hope) they'll be fixing some of the flaws, so I'll be brief.
In general we found the service to be excellent - especially from the drivers, bell staff and housekeeping. On a couple occasions it was hard to get the front desk and concierge on the phone, but the delay was minor. I'm very surprised to read that people found a lot of staff to be indifferent - we had a very different experience.
The rooms themselves were the weakest link - could use an upgrade in decor (and it's coming). It's currently too dark and "woodsy/western" for my tastes. Unattractive and uncomfortable (including beds), but bathrooms were very nice.
Spago is delicious but insanely expensive to be filled with small children and folks in ski gear. I'm not suggesting it be stuffy or formal, but the clientele is just too casual for those prices. I'm told that after the reno there will be more options for upscale casual dining, hopefully leaving Spago for folks who want a little less chaos while they spend hundreds of dollars on a delicious meal :)

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

444 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed in this property with my family for a week. Though I usually leave lengthy reviews about hotels where I stayed, this one is going to be simply short: I will never forget about staying there. It is definitely a place je-me-souviens. My heart always anxious to visit again. It will live in my heart with the best memories.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Hard to top the Ritz in Beaver Creek. The hotel is rustic at base of the mountain
Restaurants and service are excellent. Highly suggest getting a suite if its in your
Budget as the extra space is very helpful if traveling with children

• Stayed March 2013
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 5 nights at this gorgeous property with our two young children, ages 4 and 15 months. We had a one bedroom residential suite. It was clean, spacious, and had the perfect layout - the bedroom and bathroom each opened separately off a hallway which was itself separate from the kitchen and living room. So, we could put the kids to bed and still enter the bathroom without having to go into the bedroom.

The kitchen was fully appointed - Sub-Zero fridge, Wolf electric cooktop and oven, and Miele dishwasher. Knowing that we would have a full kitchen, I brought a cooler full of prepared meals and salad kits from Costco and we saved a LOT of money eating in. I didn't feel deprived by doing this because we would put the kids to bed, pop open a bottle of wine, rent a movie on TV (that was currently in theaters!) and enjoy a romantic meal that I still didn't have to prepare.

The bedroom was large enough to accommodate a twin rollaway for my daughter and a crib for my son. The crib was a proper crib, not a pack'n'play!, complete with matching patterned crib sheets and quilt! It was so cute. They also had a bag of helpful goodies for kids - swim diapers, electric plug safety stoppers, band-aids, even a forehead thermometer, which we ended up needing!

On arrival, while waiting for our room, we got to meet Bachelor, the resident St. Bernard. My kids loved him! The gift shop attendant kindly gave my infant son a plush toy of Bachelor, also while waiting, which is still in his crib! Later in the week, we attended the daily marshmallow roast around a huge roaring fire, fresh-baked cookies, and complete with singing cowboy. Our kids loved that too!

Everywhere we went, the service was excellent. We enjoyed the outdoor hot tub and heated pool every day - we actually did this with our kids instead of skiing. And the spa was divine. As a guest, there is complimentary access to the famous coed rock grotto, and the women's only hot tub, sauna, steam room, and cold plunge, complete with robe, slippers, and a locker. Finally, there is a quiet relaxation room with light snacks, tea and water, and magazines - sheer bliss for this working mom of two. Alas! I discovered all this late and only made use of the spa on our last two days.

In summary, what we loved most about this hotel, in addition to the exemplary service we experienced, was the feeling of casual elegance, log-cabin luxury. It didn't feel uncomfortably posh and exclusive. It felt warm and welcoming and cozy and relaxed. We loved every moment of our stay and we will be back for more.

• Stayed January 2013
Denver, CO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Must be one of the worst run Ritz Carlton hotels. While the location and amenities are first class the staff attitude is one of indifference. Arrived on a Sunday at 2:30pm as was told check-in time is 4pm. Not only had to wait the full 90 minutes I only got a room then when I asked for a manager. Then they did not honor our request for the type of room we reserved. In the meantime, went to the lounge and our server disappeared for over 20 minutes. Other guests just left.

The lack of professional service continued at dinner when our reservation for 17 at Spago was somehow lost by the staff, after having been confirmed in person just two hours earlier. They offered to seat 12 of us and the other five 30 minutes later.

The one exception was the floor staff. Housekeeping and bell staff were very accomodating. This hotel needs substantially better management. We will not return. The Pary Hyatt is a much better value, better location, comparable ammenities and they actually seem happy to see you.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Valhalla, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I recently stayed at the Ritz Carlton Beaver Creek with my family. Although it was a very busy holiday period the service was outstanding - from the bellmen and front desk to ski valet and restaurants - everyone was friendly and welcoming. We love the casual pub restaurant - it had something for everyone including a great kids menu. They were very accommodating to our daughter who is a vegetarian. We were also able to order sushi from the special sushi bar set up in the lobby. Our room had a view right to the ski slope which motivated us to get an early start.
The lobby and outdoor patio are great gathering spots for lunch or apres ski. The champagne bar on the patio was a lovely touch on a beautiful sunny day! My kids loved roasting marshmallows and listening to live music. It is really the perfect family resort. This is the second time we've stayed at this hotel and look forward to returning - maybe in the summer next time!

Room Tip: Some rooms have kitchens - great for families.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Very little must be said of my impression of Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch beyond how much it impressed. I stayed in a lovely little room on the ground floor which opened up to show a view of the valley in the morning which was perfect for breakfast. The rooms were quite very clean, the bed cosy and the black marble bath was a treat I couldn't resist.

The hotel itself was perfectly formed with cosy communal sitting rooms and log fires and a range of facilities and shops onsite. The hotel staff were extremely attendative and any issue seen by one of the staff members was handled by them personally. Very impressive!

The hotel restaurant Spago was quite a letdown and is one of the few things that detracted from the experience; the bistro grill outside by the pool area gave better service at better prices.

Overall since we went during the summer we missed out on the skiing but we will certainly make plans to come back again for that.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch? Share your experiences!