“Great Accomodations, but 3 items were stolen by housekeeping!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Mountain Vista Villas, Avon / Vail Valley

You added Sheraton Mountain Vista Villas, Avon / Vail Valley to your Saves list
Sheraton Mountain Vista Villas, Avon / Vail Valley
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   160 W Beaver Creek Blvd, Beaver Creek, CO 81620 (Formerly Sheraton Mountain Vista Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 40% on 2nd Night
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Beaver Creek
Massachusetts
“Great Accomodations, but 3 items were stolen by housekeeping!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

I plugged my ipod into the charger upon arriving, the next day it mysteriously disappeared while we were out! I had several necklaces with me. We put our trash outside the door and did not expect anyone to be in our room. I left jewelry on the kitchen table and 2 expensive necklaces are missing. We thought we would find the items that were missing when we got home and unpacked, but items are still missing. The accommodations were very comfortable. We loved the room, but next time I will keep jewelry and valuables locked in the car. The pool was cold and the jacuzzi was not hot enough. I loved the jacuzzi jets in the bath tub. The washer and dryer in the closet is real nice, but didn't use them. We put 6.000 miles on the car traveling around Colorado and Utah. We really needed just a room in different locations, closer to the National Parks that we visited. Wanted to go to Yellowstone which was 9 hrs away and Zion (7 hours), but didn't make it. Went to Arches National Park in Utah, Mesa Verde in southern CO. The Black Hills of Gunnison was amazing. The scenery in general, even on the interstate was excellent. The bed was real comfortable. I loved the large bathroom with a huge mirror and really decorated nicely with the ceramic tile and paintings. The living room was comfortable. Kitchen was small, but had a full sized frig, blender to make frozen white russians, and everything we needed, except honest housekeepers!! Two of my favorite necklaces were taken worth about $200; The ipod was a full size one with all my favorite music. I used it frequently. It hurts to be ripped off.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
West Milford, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

I feel like I am repeating a lot of what has been said here already so I will make this short and sweet. Overall, this is a decent place. It was clean, comfortable, and attractively decorated. We had a two-bedroom lockout for 6 people. It is true that these units are smaller than most of the timeshares we have stayed in. There is less storage space and you will have to be creative as to where you put your belongings. The balconies are not big enough for more than one person to sit outside. My biggest complaint is the temperature. I agree that AC is probably not necessary in the mountains during the summer, however, these units are hot during the day! We actually felt hot air coming in from the vents in the ceilings so I think that there is something wrong with the climate control here. They do provide you with fans and we would pull cool air from the hallways into our rooms during the day and then put them by the sliders at night. The other problem is the noise when the windows are open. Avon is right off of I70 an you will hear the traffic all night long. I don't know if I would stay here again. As I stated, it is a decent place and as long as you know what to expect, you will not be disappointed. However, if you did not read these reviews, you might be in for a rude awakening.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
SMVHotelManager, Manager at Sheraton Mountain Vista Villas, Avon / Vail Valley, responded to this review, October 1, 2010
We really appreciate the positive comments about being decent, clean, comfortable and attractively decorated. In regards to the items within our control, you are exactly correct in that many mountain properties, resorts and even residential homes do not have a/c or ever really need it. This year the Rocky Mountains did experience some record setting high summer temperatures. That being said we are looking into the matter about climate control and hot air coming into the villa. We are currently performing our fall maintenance weeks where we take each villa off line for 1 full week to deep clean and perform preventive maintenance. We have found some villas requiring repair to the zone valves that allow climate control. Over the course of the next 60 days we will have serviced every single villa. We do apologize that this made your stay uncomfortable. Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

Stayed for a week, Lots to see and do. Mainly set up for Winter, We still had a great time, Parking in Summer is free and the area puts on lots of activities, Rodeo etc

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
It sounds like you took advantage of everything this area has to offer. Maybe a matter of opinion but many people think the summer here is even better than winter. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and hopefully that means we will see you here again soon. Thanks so much for the positive post.
Kansas City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

I have stayed at this Sheraton twice in the past four years, having different experiences both times. The first time we stayed, they were trying to persuade us to buy a timeshare with them, so naturally, they put us in a gorgeous room. We had a spacious master bedroom, bathroom with a jacuzzi tub, beautiful view, and all around amazing room. The second time, however, I walked into the room a little bit disappointed. Under the description for what kind of room we had booked, we were under the impression that there would be two beds, with one pullout couch in the living area. Unfortunately, the description was deceiving, and there was one bed in the master, and one pullout in the living area. The view was still great, but as I wandered into the bathroom, there was no tub. Only a shower. Then I noticed the lowered towel racks and ramp-like entrance to the shower, only to realize we were in a handicapped room. The fact that we were in a handicapped room is not the problem; the problem is they didn't ask us if that was alright. That's just courtesy. I did confront the front desk staff about my concerns, and although they were very kind about it, did nothing to help the situation. (Not to mention, I was very polite and did not demand anything of them.) One other thing my family and I were amused with was the price of the "Family Activities." Roasting marshmallows, creating an ice cream sundae, or playing poker - just to name a few- all sound like great ideas. Until you notice how much they cost. One or two bucks isn't a big deal to pay for a s'more, but when other hotels are doing this for free, it seems kind of ridiculous. The poker price was fine, because it's poker. And the sundaes cost five dollars each. Also, the bike pro shop is wonderful, and they are very helpful with trails and any biking needs. The prices are also very reasonable. A convenient coffee shop is also located next to the pro shop. All in all, the Sheraton is a beautiful hotel, and the rooms and location are great for the price.

p.s.
There is no air-conditioning, BUT don't let that scare you. They only need it about two weeks a year, so it's cost-efficient to just not have one at all. Even when we were there the two hottest weeks of the Summer, it still wasn't unbearable. Keep the windows open, and all the fans on, and it will be fine.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
We are grateful for the feedback; of course we especially appreciate the positive comment that The Sheraton Mountain Vista is a beautiful hotel, and the best value in the area. We love your choice of the words gorgeous, spacious and all around amazing. The property is predominately comprised of 2 different villa floor plans, our standard 1 bedroom villa and our deluxe 1 bedroom villa with the 2 bedroom being the combination of both. Each villa depending on type, standard or deluxe is decorated exactly the same way as the others of the same type. Of course the exception you experienced is the handicap accessible room type of which we have a small inventory. We do apologize that it was not made clearer to you what was in the room, and we totally agree with you that the front desk should have reconfirmed the villa type at check-in. We shared your feedback by reading your post at our most recent front desk meeting.
Kansas City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

We stayed for only one night, but the accommodations were great! The resort is very nice. Check-in was a breeze and our rooms (we had 2) were great! There was a mini-fridge in both units which is great when you are traveling with kids. The bathroom was nice as was the bed - very comfy. The only downside is, there is no air conditioning & if your room is facing the street, it can be noisy to open your window at night. They did provide nice fans in the rooms which helped. Most of the hotels that I have stayed at in the Vail/Avon & Beaver Creek areas do not have a/c - that is just common in the mountains. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
We agree, a great place to stay in the mountains. Thank you!
Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

I read everything online prior to going to the Mountain Vista. We had a mountain view, which I requested prior to arriving. It cut down on the noise. The room was comfortably decorated and nice, and it was very clean. No sign of excessive wear and tear.

The amenities suich as pots, towels, etc. were minimal and I had to ask for a couple of extra things, but they were brought up right away.

Not much in the way of resort amenities or lobby amenities, not many places to "hang out" in the resort. The concierge was OK, but they didnt have trail maps of Beaver Creek (I will give them the benefit of the doubt, it was the end of the season). Internet in the room was sketchy at best and really slow and annoying. It was really hard to do anything in the room on the internet because it was so slow and would time out. Loading the trail map from the Beaver Creek website took forever in the room.

The grill was a nice feature and we did use it. Parking is underground, a nice feature since it snowed so much while we were there. The grocery store was close and really big, but its pretty far if you have lots of groceries and are thinking of walking to it. There are some really good restaurants within walking distance, but the resort is located in an area with a lot of parking lots, think office complex, not sidewalks and lawns.

The biggest complaint I have is the temperature. It was really hot inside our room and we had to keep our windows open while we were in the room. It was 19 degrees outside, so it made for a delicate balancing act of how much to crack open the window.

Regarding skiing, the resort was 9 miles from Vail and very close to Beaver Creek. It did take two buses to get to the slopes of Beaver Creek. However, we drove to and parked in the free lot and took one bus up to the top. It was pretty simple. The other option is to take the bus to near the Westin, walk over the tracks, and take the gondola up. I wish the resort had a shuttle to the slopes. It would be a nice feature.

We absolutely LOVED Beaver Creek and Vail and the whole area and are going back next year (staying at a different place). I would highly recommend a family vacation in the area. It is awesome, and my kids had an awesome time. There is something to do for everyone. Regarding the Sheraton, if you dont mind the heat turned up, the rooms and the resort were fine for a ski area. No complaints as to cleanliness (and I am particular) or decoration, size or layout.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Your review has provided us with some really detailed feedback and we thank you for taking the time. We were pleased to have you describe the resort as comfortably decorated, nice and very clean. It is especially thrilling having a self described "particular" person say they had no complaints about cleanliness. In July of this year we spent $78,000 upgrading our high speed internet. If you were to return you would be pleased with the speed of the connection. From your comments we couldn’t tell if you had a chance or even knew to visit Avon's beautiful Nottingham Park and Lake located just behind the Sheraton next to the Avon Recreation Center. In the winter with the lake frozen the city clears the snow off the lake and allows free ice skating. The park also offers some of the best sledding hills around. The problem you described with the heat appears to have been identified as a zone valve problem requiring repair in several of our villas. We are currently in the process of inspecting every villa and making necessary repairs. We are sorry to hear you will stay at a different place this next year, and hope at some point will allow us the opportunity to provide your accommodations again. Thank you.
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

We just got back from spring skiiing at Beaver Creek and Vail. We own with Marriott and exchanged to get this property. I was concerned after reading some of the reviews about Mountain Vista. I must say most of the negative comments were unfounded during our stay.

We had a full size one bedroom with a full kitchen. The rooms are smaller than your average time share but there were only three of us so it wasn't to bad. The toliet did stop up once and maintenence responded right away and resolved the issue. Are the rooms hot.....ABSOLUTELY....this is true..we opened the windows when we left for skiing so the room would be nice and cool when we returned. The only truely negative thing I can say about the rooms is that the walls are paper thin. We could hear the loud people next to us almost every night.

The location of the property is great. We did not take the shuttle. We drove to Beaver Creek and Vail and utilized the Valet parking service. I did hear people in the lobby complain about the shuttle.

Wireless internet.....forget it unless your in the hotel lobby. The connection is free but only works from the lobby. At about 7a.m. every morning the lobby was full of laptop users...

Overall we had a great stay and would stay there again if we had the chance. We found a great bakery (Avon Bakery) in town that had fresh bagels and breads that was only a few blocks away by Burger King. We also ate at Beaver Creek Chophouse Spago's and the Dusty Boot. All of these were pretty good and worth visiting.

On a side note we went snowmobiling with White Mountain Tours and it was truly an awesome experience. We climbed to approximately 12500ft above sea level and the views were fantastic.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Mountain Vista Villas, Avon / Vail Valley? Share your experiences!