“Almost perfect.....” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Spago is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 74 Restaurants in Beaver Creek
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bachelor Gulch Blvd
Transit: Village to Village Transportation is available to and from Beaver Creek upon request.
Description: Master Chef Wolfgang Puck teamed up with the award-winning Ritz-Carlton to open a Colorado outpost of his legendary Spago at The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch. Spago continues to set the standard for cuisine, service and style. Chef Jared Montarbo creates imaginative, California cuisine with regional, European and Asian influences in a sophisticated, warm environment crafted by esteemed New York-based hospitality designer Tony Chi. The menu features Spago's classics from over the years and Wolfgang's childhood favorites - Organic Salmon Steamed "Hong Kong" Style and Veal "Wiener Schnitzel"- as well as new signature dishes locally inspired by the surrounding environment with as many ingredients from the area as possible. The 4,400 square foot restaurant features a hip and sophisticated 34-seat bar and lounge which is the ideal place to see and be seen. Spago closes for the 2015 Winter Season on March 31st, 2015 and reopens for the 2015 Summer Season on July 1st, 2015. WINTER SEASON HOURS Open Daily: - Lunch: 11am-2:30pm Daily (Last Reservation 2pm) - Dinner: First Seating 5:30pm Daily SUMMER SEASON HOURS: Open Wednesday - Sunday: - Dinner: First Seating 5:30pm Daily
skippack, pa
“Almost perfect.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I ate at Spago with 4 girlfriends on Friday night during our stay at the Ritz. It was delicious!! The only complaint was that 2 of my friends ordered the tuna entree and the sauce that came with it was extraordinarily salty. The corn chowder was amazing, as was the agniolotti and the lobster risotto!! I would highly recommend.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

oklahoma city
“Spago is Marvelous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Outstanding food. Bar service excellent, too. We even met Wolfgang Puck! He was walking around the tables asking how the patrons liked his restaurant.

Visited August 2013
Vail, Colorado
“Not Only Disappointing, but EMBARRASSING!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We booked dinner for 4 at Spago because we were hosting dear visiting friends with sophisticated taste and wanted to show them the best of the Vail Valley (we are long-time locals here). It started badly when our sommelier failed to respond to questions by our guest as to the white wines available by the glass and simple steered her to order the Sancerre on the menu. Not a big deal, but not particularly gracious in a town where gracious service in restaurants is the norm.

The real disaster occurred when the lobster dish ordered by three of our guests was presented and the lobster pieces were visibly undercooked (milky and squishy rather than firm). (My loup de mer was great--the only high point of the evening). One of our party chose to order something else and the other two simply asked to have their plates reheated so as to cook the lobster. Only one guest got his dish back. It was served by the manager, garnished with an unpleasant demeanor, but she did not bring back the dish for the second guest. When we pointed that out to her, she apologized in a brusque dismissive tone and said she would see to it. The second dish dish came much later--not reheated as requested--as an entirely new plate with new lobster similarly undercooked. So much for a celebratory dinner together--each of us ate a solitary meal with the other three watching.

To console ourselves, we ordered glasses of wine all around. The manager (Chelsea Gilbert) said there was no Rhone wineby the glass on the menu. We looked at the menu ourselves and, in fact, there was a Rhone wine by the glass on the list. We ordered three glasses of that wine ( the forth person got her second glass of Sancerre) and enjoyed each other's company despite the disappointing meat.

I asked for some consideration on the bill for the disappointing meal. All we got was a complimentary salad for the guest who declined the second chance on the lobster dish and we were not charged for her second class of Sancerre.

I mentioned my concerns and my perception about the poor customer service to both our waiter and the manager several times. The waiter was nice but powerless, but the manager only gave me a stiff apology and blew me off.

Bottom line: we spent $300 for a dinner that was consumed seriatum, had to deal with unpleasant and unaccommodating staff, and (except for me who thoroughly enjoyed the loup) went home hungry. Most disappointing was the fact that we were treating our guests to what we had planned to be a special evening and really wanted to show them a first class dining experience. We should have gone to La Tour or Splendido--they really know how to do it! Looking at recent reviews, I seems I'm not the only one who had a disappointing evening.

Don't patronize this restaurant till they take a remedial course in customer service and, above all, don't order the lobster dish!

PS -- I'm a Top Contributor on Trip Advisor and have never before felt the need to write such a scathing review.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Just not what we expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

This place is in a gorgeous location. We took a taxi up from our Avon hotel and I was awe struck all the way up. But unfortunately the rest of my experience didn't blow me away. First, the chairs are horrible - so uncomfortable. I was with a large group and everyone agreed. Our service was good, but not amazing which it seems like it should be for the amount of $ you're throwing down. Our appetizers were good and the wine was delicious. However, the main courses failed to amaze (and I am easily amazed because I never eat at fancy restaurants). Some of the steak wasn't cooked right and the fish was a little dry. The desserts however were pretty delicious! All in all, it's worth it to go up there for the view - but maybe have a drink at the bar instead.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Plano, Texas
“Was good, but there is better in the area for this price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We dined at Spago this past Tuesday night (end of July 2013) at the Ritz in Bachelor Gulch. We've dined at several other Spago restaurants (Maui, Dallas, NY, Cali) so we knew what to expect (great food and great service). Dinner didn't deliver on what we expected though. The service was good, server was attentive and the sommelier was very helpful steering us to a new wine we have never tried.

The food though, is what was not delivered in the typical Spago manner. Appetizers and dessert were good, the main courses weren't anything to write home about. I started with the Tomato heirloom salad which was fantastic, my husband had the spicy tuna cones (which are not on the menu as other reviewers also mention). Dessert was good, we tried a new mint cheesecake. Very small portion, which was fine because that is all we needed.

We each had fish as our main course - I had the salmon (which I have heard wonderful things about). Frankly it was average, and a bit salty. My husband had the halibut, which was fine, not great.

In the end, what I would say is that there are other restaurants in Beaver Creek/Vail (1800, Sweet Basil), which you can dine at for the same amount of money and get better quality main courses.

Oh, and the cow chairs - please lose them. They are uncomfortable!!!

• Visited July 2013