“Another great time at the ranch” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wilderness Trails Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bayfield
Wilderness Trails Ranch
Save Saved
You added Wilderness Trails Ranch to your Saves list
23486 Country Road 501, Bayfield, CO 81122   |
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Another great time at the ranch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is my third time at this ranch I like it so much I keep bringing other family members! The Trail rides are half day or full scenic rides I have never had a bad horse yet. Somedays they offer cow work that is a blast so if you have never tried it IT IS a must! everything e I come there is someone who has not done it and they have always said man am I glad I got to try that ;0) Some evenings they have BBQ around the chuck wagon with bond fires and sing alongside. one night a week they have dance lessons and one night TONIGHT they have. Big dinner and dance. it's a blast! This year I tried fishing with a guide on his boat we caught bass,pike and of course Rainbow Trount which you can bring back and they will cook it up for you. the ranch also has a stream running threw it with fishing poles or stocked ponds to fish on. I have staiyed in two different cabins and they are both very nice. Yes they have Internet and a full bar. very family friendly with a full kids program and a kids rodeo on Friday... I am coming back again this time with more grand kids! I have been to more the this one Guest Ranch and this one is a diamond...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

My husband and I took a kids-free trip to Wilderness Trails Ranch to celebrate our anniversary, and we couldn't have picked a better place. We worried a bit at first about being the only ones there without kids but it wasn't an issue at all. You won't find a friendlier family than the Roberts Family. They truly make you feel at home and will go out of their way to make your trip what you want it to be. Because we weren't part of a family reunion that was there at the same time, we sometimes wanted to do a different activity than the rest of the group. It wasn't a problem- they found us a guide and made it happen. The guides and wranglers are really great and you get to know them as the week goes on. They all sit and have meals with you so it has a real family feel. You can do as much or as little as you want. We were surprised with a cake at dinner time for our anniversary, and champagne and choc covered strawberries were waiting for us when we got back to our cabin that night. A true testament that they listen to their guests and care about making their trip special. The chefs were fantastic too, serving wonderful food at each meal. And super accomodating too- if there's something on the menu you don't like, no worries, they'll fix something else just for you! We really liked the happy hour each evening, and it was fun getting to know all the other guests. The area is breathtaking. I can't say enough about this family and their service. We will definitely go back someday and take the kids.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New Brighton, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary with our family ranging in age from 5 to 72.
We had a great time riding horses (first time for most), hiking and just being with each
other. The staff was great. The kids activities keep them busy and having fun. Watching
our grandchildren ride for the first time and dancing was so much fun. A wonderful time
had by all and the grandchildren ask when they can go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My in-laws wanted to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary somewhere special, and they picked the right place for us all to celebrate together! We ranged in ages 4 to 74 and EVERYONE had fun! There were many activities to choose from each day - we rode horses, went on a hayride, hiked many times, went fishing on the property, and mountain biked. The Vallecito Creek hike was one of the prettiest I have ever done in CO. The planned evening activities were especially great to bring everyone back together again for some family memories (we all got branded!).

The staff was very friendly and were especially great with the younger kids. The chefs (Sky & Vincent) were amazing, providing a delicious variety of meals each day and even kept our picky little ones satisfied!

It was an AMAZING family vacation that we will all cherish for many years! Thanks WTR!

Room Tip: There are many cabins, our group stayed in 3 different ones and we all enjoyed it!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Beautiful scenery, great accommodations, wonderful food. The most fun I have had at an all inclusive vacation place ever. Was a little concerned at first because it seemed the focus was on horse back riding. I rode the first day and decided that horseback riding was not for me. Still had a great time even though I didn't ride. Hiked, went out on the lake, biking, swimming pool, hottub...lots to do even if you aren't a horse person. Loved it!

Room Tip: All the cabins are great.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
eastern Mass.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I spent my first visit at WTR on their second week of "adult week" (although I do believe it families/kids would have a grand time). I go for the horseback riding and while that was very good, I must say the food took over! Chefs Sky and Vincent made spectacular customized meals every day, including two outdoor cookouts. There were plenty of options besides horseback riding if people asked. Lance made a valiant effort to get the pontoon boat into Vallecito Lake when three of us wanted that activity, but the boat's first outing of the season- mixed with an approaching storm- cut that short. Safety is #1 in activities and that is appreciated.
My cabin room was very attractive and comfortable. All staff were personable and very helpful wherever requested. I especially tip my hat to wrangler Corey, who gave a horsemanship lesson to two of us that bordered on the magical. A fine vacation for those on horseback and those who prefer to stay on foot.
There were obviously lots of things available to kids. The few kids who live on the property were well-wrangled (!) and involved in their own enjoyable activities. I'm sure any children guests would have an absolute blast.

Room Tip: An elderly couple got the cabin closest to the main lodge. If anyone is less mobile, just let the ma...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Our family decided to gather to celebrate a college graduation and get together. There were nine of us from four states in the east coast, west coast, and midwest. After doing a good deal of research we settled on Wilderness Trails Ranch; this was with a bit of trepidation because of the group, several were not keen on horse riding. We had a couple early-20s, and some 40s, 50s, and 60s. We were there for about 5 or 6 days. By the end of the trip we were all thrilled with the experience. Wilderness Trails provides many non-horse activities. It’s hard to imagine a better place to accommodate our group and that provided a beautiful quiet place to ride and do other activities and to socialize with each other when we wanted to. Those of us who rode were all beginners or barely intermediate, and we rode every day. We didn’t use the kayaks or go fishing, but we all did some combination of horse riding, hiking, and/or riding mountain bikes that they provided.

We were there the very first week of the 2013 season, and they ramp up the first couple weeks with fewer than normal guests. I think that made it kind of fun but there is plenty of room for their normal max capacity of, I believe, about 35. The Ranch provided each of us with transportation from the Durango airport (which is easy to get to by air).

The lodge, cabins, and stables are located on a small meadow in view of gorgeous peaks and the Pine River and a couple small ponds. The lodge building is comfortable, and has plenty of room. They provided dance lessons (line dancing, 2-step, waltz) and a couple nights later they brought in a country band we had fun dancing. There is a pool room, a “watering hole” bar, big fireplace. Just across the path they have a small indoor hot tub and a very long, shallow outdoor swimming pool.

Robert and Vanessa are gracious and really remarkable people, having fully taken over management of the Ranch from Robert’s parents. The staff overall were just wonderful and made every effort to make sure we were having fun and to accommodate any request that we had. And we did have some special requests which were always answered with a smile and really positive attitude. The cabins themselves are comfortable and clean, of varying sizes, and are spaced nicely around the grounds.

The kitchen and wait staff were there to make sure we were well fed and happy; Chef Sky is a great cook and often came out to make sure everyone was happy with the food. The team of wranglers including Doc and Michele and Cathryn made sure everyone was well matched with their horse and made sure we were trained in safety and they helped us learn to mount and ride safely. I was really surprised that they offered not only riding around any of several great short or long trails, but you could also choose a session to work “in the arena” to learn how to use your horse or teams of riders and horses to try to cut a single yearling from about a dozen yearling cattle and try to get him or her to go into a pen in the corner. What fun!

The area is bordered by a combination of a couple large privately owned ranches, but mostly is surrounded by the San Juan National Forest and some wilderness area. The horse trails crisscross through ponderosa pine and aspen groves and over a couple small streams. For city dwellers, the clear night sky is mind blowing. The 2002 fire ultimately has resulted in a fascinating study in creating a combination of old growth ponderosa pines and newer aspens, some of which must be 30 or 40 feet high by now, and has provided habitat that benefited some wildlife and provides a variety of views as you ride.

A perfect place for a very memorable and rewarding gathering; we were all grateful for the experience and the ways we were taken care of.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Wilderness Trails Ranch? Share your experiences!