“Loved Napa not as much our stay here.” 3 of 5 stars

Oleander House and Garden
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   7433 St Helena Way, Yountville, CA 94599   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Yountville B&B and Inns
Frederick, Maryland
“Loved Napa not as much our stay here.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We went to Napa for my wife's 40th Birthday, we had 3 days of wine tastings planned and stayed 2 nights at the Oleander House. My experience with the place started several weeks before our arrival when I emailed Kathleen several times with questions. I did not hear back from her until the day before we left on the trip. One of my questions was would it be possible to make eggs benedict for my wife's birthday, she did not address this question either way. I understand that all request cannot be accommodated, but at least acknowledge the request. Also poached eggs were going to be served the day after we checked, OK. We were fine with the family style breakfast and the breakfast were fair. I asked my wife on the way home if she found anything to be memorable and she stated her favorite thing was the chicken and apple sausage served both days. Also the room was extremely warm and with very little ventilation. The room did get a fair amount of road traffic, but it really did bother us that much. The house was nicely decorated and liked the refrigerator stocked with cold drinks. The location was perfect. We might stay again, but not for more than one night and not for a special get away.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Bury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Thank you so much Kathleen for providing us with outstanding accomodation and hospitality. Rooms are beautifull and lounge area great with fridge to keep your wine cold and snacks. To top it all a homecooked breakfast which is the tastiest ever.Yummie fresh vegetable strata and moorish cranberry and orange scones. Thanks again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

The wife and I Had a great three night start to our honeymoon here. We arrived a couple hours ahead of check in time but were graciously accommodated and shown to our room which was just as described by both the pics and reviews. Comfy and cozy are the best way to describe it. I was shocked when we showed up for our first breakfast and saw other people in the house. It was so quiet I thought we had it all to ourselves. The breakfasts' were amazing, We really enjoyed the morning conversations with the other guests. The location cannot be beat. Kathleen is a most gracious host. The best thing I can say is that it was exactly as advertised. For the price you would be hard pressed to beat the Oleander House. When we go back we will definitely be staying with Kathleen.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

We recently returned from a 3 night stay at Oleander and thoroughly enjoyed. The queen suite was spacious and very comfortable. Kathleen was the perfect host - she prepared a delicious breakfast each morning, provided great advice as to which wineries to visit and interacted with the guests in a very friendly and laid back way. We even enjoyed a dip in the hot tub in the backyard. All in all, a great stay at a perfect location. Highly recommended.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London Ont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed 3 nights and enjoyed this lovely B&B.Great location, very clean and the breakfasts were excellent.Kathleen is a very gracious hostess and provides plenty of good advice on what to do and where to go

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Wheaton, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

What a lovely house and innkeeper. We rented all 5 bedrooms in the house, which worked out great to allow our party to gather in the sitting area. Kathleen, the owner, was great - very helpful in giving advice (& discounts) on places to visit and prepared wonderful breakfasts each morning. The location is also great - you can walk to Mustard's Grill (which is also recommended).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I spent 9 days in California driving all over and this was my first vacation with the new boyfriend. Staying here was honestly my favorite part of the whole trip. Kathleen was a fantastic host and her cooking is out of this world. She was available yet hidden which was perfect to feel like we had privacy yet our needs met. We stayed here on a Monday and Tuesday night in Summer Room. There was only 1 other couple there the first night and I couldn't even tell you what they looked like because we never saw them. We had the entire upstairs to ourselves, which has a communal sitting room, kitchenette, TV and a pile of games along with the hall where all the rooms are. Kathleen also will put coffee upstairs starting at 7 AM for the early risers, which was perfect to grab a mug and bring back into your room as you are getting ready for breakfast.

The first night we arrived, we were pretty tired, so after an early dinner in town (only a 5 min easy drive) we bought a bottle of wine and some cheese and crackers to bring back to the room for some canoodling. They kitchenette upstairs had a cutting board, knives, along with wine glasses so we grabbed a game a Scrabble and tucked ourselves away! We spent the next few hours next to the fireplace (unlit because of summer but I can imagine it being very nice in the winter) so we could play scrabble laying on the floor drinking wine and eating cheese. Late night we decided to take a dip in the hot tub, which was great to have access from the upstairs and we found it was clean and well lit. Then we cooled off on our private balcony which was really a highlight to have in the room. There is even an ashtray left out on the table for the smokers.

The next morning we awoke to the sound of a rooster, which I personally enjoyed because it added to the B&B feel. I know some people complained about the noise but I sleep with a white-noise app in general and didn't found the area particularly noisy anyways. Coffee was waiting for me as I got ready and when we went downstairs there was a beautiful breakfast all laid out. I have a new-found love for Chicken Sausage, which was there both mornings along with a gourmet egg dish, lots of fruit, OJ and of course more coffee! The other couple didn't even bother coming to breakfast (what a shame!) but Kathleen didn't mind as she likes to give her guests exactly what type of vacation they are looking for. She was friendly, sat with us and told us about the history of the house and surrounding area. We were well fed before we started our day of wine tasting, which the bus picked us up right in front! (Platypus Tours, highly recommend).

The second night was almost exactly the same, but after wine tasting we were in no shape to drive into town, but that was OK because Mustard's Grill is walkable and we had one of the best Pasta Dishes we've ever had!! Late night there was another couple in the Hot Tub who was friendly and we chatted with and there were lot more guests at breakfast the following day. I was so sad to leave this part of the vacation because it was so relaxing and romantic and the beds were so comfy! Kathleen was telling us how after she's done paying off the mortgage (This year, congrats!) she will start redecorating the rooms. Which I agree are a little outdated, but still very clean and cozy.

I look forward to going back (and visiting with her dog Max!) after she redecorates the rooms. I highly suggest this place to anyone as we did not have a single complaint!

Room Tip: Any of the Sunset Rooms are fantastic, along with the Queen Suite, though i did not notice a huge di...