“Prohibitive wine policies/prices mean no business from this local” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Redd

Redd
6480 Washington St, Yountville, CA 94599
707 944 2222
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Redd is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 22 Restaurants in Yountville
Cuisines: Californian, Pizza
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
St. Helena, California
“Prohibitive wine policies/prices mean no business from this local”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

I am a local (live in Napa, work in Calistoga) and wanted to go to Redd to celebrate my birthday with my girlfriend. Since it was a special occasion, we wanted to have some wine with our meal (as we often do at home), so I checked out their wine list.

I was glad to see that this wine list actually has some good selections on it (you'd be surprised how many Napa Valley restaurants carry really bad wines); unfortunately, the markup is RIDICULOUS. I saw one of our $18 bottles on there sold by the glass which would come to $52/bottle. That is unacceptable. So, since we have plenty of our own wine and would know exactly what would pair with our meals, I looked into their corkage fee.

Redd's corkage fee is also ridiculous: a whopping $25. The only place I know of with a higher fee than that is French Laundry.

In an SF Chronicle (SF Gate) article in 2006, Richard Reddington said that he wouldn't be able to make a profit from food sales alone. I'm sorry, but if you can't turn a profit from clients paying $40-$50 per person, then you need to get out of the restaurant business.

Well, Mr. Reddington, I won't bother you with "only" eating your food (because if I did go, I would only order water); I ended up spending $100 at Market in St. Helena, instead (the owner there didn't seemed pretty happy to have me even though I was only paying for food there.) The fact of the matter is that, on a Wednesday evening in the middle of the off-season (non-tourist season), one would think you might want to fill your tables (which means you have to have policies and prices the locals can get behind), but I guess not.

If anyone is looking for a comparable meal in a nice environment in Napa Valley, with more reasonable wine prices and corkage fees, I suggest trying Market in St. Helena (excellent food, excellent service, nice atmosphere, better prices, no corkage fee) or Brix in Yountville ($15 corkage, or waived with the purchase of one of their wines)

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Marin County
“Loved Redd!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

Exquisite cuisine with generous portions. Service was attentive except the wine delivery came after entrees. Oh well, the only thing I could find to fault.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Francisco
“Wow! Exquisite, sublime food, generous portions, great wine list, modern, warm atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2009

This was one of the best meals of my life.
The food was so surprising and fresh and absolutely delicious.
We ended up having two meals here and both nights were phenomenal.
The food was delicious but the portions were surprisingly large. But when food is this good you don't feel heavy or lethargic after the meal. Each course just wets your appetite for the next.
The other surprise was the "chef's offerings" which were small tastings--one a pre-appetizer and the other, a fresh, light palette cleanser before the dessert.
The fun was watching the pleasure in everyone's faces when they took their first bite.
Speechless.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
California
“Excellent food and a great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

Wonderful lunch, delicious, fresh, VERY VERY GOOD food.
Highly recommend it. Swift, efficient, friendly service.
Attractive, light-filled dining room and bar area.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tampa
“Ravishing Redd”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

This was our favorite restaurant from a week in Napa. My husband and I ordered the five course tasting menu and it was divine. We were a little hesitant to get the tasting menu at first because there were several items on the menu we saw that we definitely wanted to try but after speaking with the waiter, he said he would be sure those were included, and we ended up with a feast. Everything we tried (10 total dishes) was cooked perfectly with amazing flavor. Yes, the decor is sparse but the food more than makes up for it. Service is nice and helpful without being too overbearing. I highly recommend this restaurant!