“Wonderful food and service. Don't miss if in Napa.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Redd is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 22 restaurants in Yountville
Cuisines: Californian
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Portland, Maine
“Wonderful food and service. Don't miss if in Napa.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is our third time eating at Redd. As in the past everything about our evening was perfect. Service was friendly,informative,and efficient. The food was exceptional! The steak with the bone marrow encrusted short rib
was unbelievable. A must visit if you are in Napa. One of our favorite restaurants.

84% Recommend
Benicia, California
“Great Girls' Lunch Outing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Today, four of us had a Girls' Day out in the wine country. Our first stop was lunch at Redd. Redd is a trendy, upscale, modern restaurant in Yountville. We had called ahead for reservations which is an absolute must on a weekend. Linen table clothes and crystal clear goblets and sparkling cutlery. Our waiter, Collin, was simply charming and personable. The menu had fabulous choices - either appetizers or main dishes. Ironically, all of us chose the same entree for lunch - pork buns with hoisin. As we waited, the chef sent out a mini appetizer - hot wings - to enjoy. Our entree was fabulous - pieces of crispy pork cubes in a delicious hoisin sauces, sprinkled with perfectly sliced green onions and toasted sesame seeds, sitting atop an incredible Asian salad. For dessert, we split the steamed chocolate cake with caramelized bananas! A delicious lunch, fabulous wait staff, and great atmosphere. We did not order wines or drinks. Our bill was $72 not including tip. Not cheap but worth every penny!

Quebec, Quebec, Canada
“Classy, well worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Even though your tour guide tells you it's expensive and it would take too long, please don't believe him or her and go anyways. The cost was not even higher than a regular burger place (15$)and even if the place was getting crowded, my plate came in no time. Great place, I recommend!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Walnut Creek, California
“Absolutely loved this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Because of a last minute planned trip to Yountville, we could only get lunch reservations here on the weekend. Definitely go for the 6 course tasting menu- best thing about this is that they give 12 different dishes between my husband and myself so you really get to experience a wide selection of dishes they offered. We couldn't even decide on what was our favorite dish -- loved all of them. And because it was a lunch menu, very affordable for the quality. Waitstaff very helpful with wine choices. Can't wait to go back.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Napa, California
“Still not up to par”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I think it's very misleading that Redd is currently rated 3rd best restaurant in Yountville (behind French Laundry -- which I've never been to -- and Bouchon, which I found very disappointing.)

This was my 2nd time visiting. Why? To give it another try.
Here's how it goes:

Decor and Ambiance -- Minimalist modern artistic. That's fine, if it's what you want, but it feels a bit cold and sterile (I have nothing against this style, it just has to be done well -- the way it is done at Redd is mediocre. Lighting is very low to hide the stark reality, but some corners are so underlit that diners pull out flashlights and cell phones to read the menu -- I'm not kidding! And they seat tables way too close to the front door to be comfortable when the cold drafts repeatedly hit you after dark, every time the door opens.)

Service -- Standard, generally proficient, but not friendly (kind of matches the decor.)

Food -- Hit or miss. I really like some of their small dishes. They do have a special touch to the balance of flavors being used, sometimes in quirky or unconventional (but not so weird as to be off-putting) ways. My favorites are the warm duck confit salad, and the lobster risotto. The beet salad with gulf shrimp and pomegranate was also very good, as was a chestnut soup.

Main dishes, however, seem to be less inspired and more heavy-handed. The "sauteed" skate is not so much "sauteed" as it is "pan-fried", cooked nicely (tender yet barely-crisp on the lighly crusted edges), but with a more-than-acceptable dose of salt. I'm not sure why so many fine dining establishments lean so heavy on the salt (Bouchon was guilty of this as well), I guess because it "enhances flavor"?

Wines: Great selection, horrible pricing. We're talking a 100% markup on several bottles I looked at (when you can literally drive -- or maybe even walk -- down the street and buy some of them straight from the winery) an their corkage fee is prohibitive ($25/bottle, last I checked)

Price: Expensive. About $30 for most dishes (about $15 for small plates, and they are indeed small) $10 for desserts. This wouldn't be so bad if you get what you pay for, but in my opinion, you don't. In my opinion, 20% lower prices across the board would be more reasonable for the quality/quantity.

I'm a local and don't think this will be very high on my list in the future for myself or for guests. I would sooner give Ad Hoc another try, or visit one of my other local favorites (Bottega, Brix, Mustards, Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen, Market... and Bistro Jeanty wasn't bad, either)

• Visited November 2012