“Classy, well worth it!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Redd is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 22 Restaurants in Yountville
Cuisines: Californian
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Quebec, Quebec, Canada
“Classy, well worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Even though your tour guide tells you it's expensive and it would take too long, please don't believe him or her and go anyways. The cost was not even higher than a regular burger place (15$)and even if the place was getting crowded, my plate came in no time. Great place, I recommend!

Walnut Creek, California
“Absolutely loved this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Because of a last minute planned trip to Yountville, we could only get lunch reservations here on the weekend. Definitely go for the 6 course tasting menu- best thing about this is that they give 12 different dishes between my husband and myself so you really get to experience a wide selection of dishes they offered. We couldn't even decide on what was our favorite dish -- loved all of them. And because it was a lunch menu, very affordable for the quality. Waitstaff very helpful with wine choices. Can't wait to go back.

Napa, California
“Still not up to par”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I think it's very misleading that Redd is currently rated 3rd best restaurant in Yountville (behind French Laundry -- which I've never been to -- and Bouchon, which I found very disappointing.)

This was my 2nd time visiting. Why? To give it another try.
Here's how it goes:

Decor and Ambiance -- Minimalist modern artistic. That's fine, if it's what you want, but it feels a bit cold and sterile (I have nothing against this style, it just has to be done well -- the way it is done at Redd is mediocre. Lighting is very low to hide the stark reality, but some corners are so underlit that diners pull out flashlights and cell phones to read the menu -- I'm not kidding! And they seat tables way too close to the front door to be comfortable when the cold drafts repeatedly hit you after dark, every time the door opens.)

Service -- Standard, generally proficient, but not friendly (kind of matches the decor.)

Food -- Hit or miss. I really like some of their small dishes. They do have a special touch to the balance of flavors being used, sometimes in quirky or unconventional (but not so weird as to be off-putting) ways. My favorites are the warm duck confit salad, and the lobster risotto. The beet salad with gulf shrimp and pomegranate was also very good, as was a chestnut soup.

Main dishes, however, seem to be less inspired and more heavy-handed. The "sauteed" skate is not so much "sauteed" as it is "pan-fried", cooked nicely (tender yet barely-crisp on the lighly crusted edges), but with a more-than-acceptable dose of salt. I'm not sure why so many fine dining establishments lean so heavy on the salt (Bouchon was guilty of this as well), I guess because it "enhances flavor"?

Wines: Great selection, horrible pricing. We're talking a 100% markup on several bottles I looked at (when you can literally drive -- or maybe even walk -- down the street and buy some of them straight from the winery) an their corkage fee is prohibitive ($25/bottle, last I checked)

Price: Expensive. About $30 for most dishes (about $15 for small plates, and they are indeed small) $10 for desserts. This wouldn't be so bad if you get what you pay for, but in my opinion, you don't. In my opinion, 20% lower prices across the board would be more reasonable for the quality/quantity.

I'm a local and don't think this will be very high on my list in the future for myself or for guests. I would sooner give Ad Hoc another try, or visit one of my other local favorites (Bottega, Brix, Mustards, Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen, Market... and Bistro Jeanty wasn't bad, either)

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Phoenix, Arizona
“Enjoyed the food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We had heard many good things about Redd so decided to try it. The food was very good but the service was a little spotty. Our server seemed a little standoffish to our party of eight. Maybe he was stretched too thin since it was very busy and we were a large group. We did enjoy the food though and would try this place again to see if maybe we caught it on an off night.

Visited January 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Food was outstanding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We went to Redd to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary last week. The food was amazing (though in retrospect we should have splurged on the tasting menu with wine pairing). I had a savory, silky chestnut soup to start followed by the shortrib special served with gnocchi and root vegetables. The main course was quite possibly one of the best things I have ever eaten. My husband had the duck confit salad which he said is hands-down the best salad he's ever had. For his entree he had the pork tenderloin which was very good as well. Our server was helpful and attentive and our water glasses were never even close to empty. We didn't have room for dessert - though it looked delicious - but did receive a nice sweet taste with the check.

We had drinks at the bar beforehand - it was a bit dark, but had a cool atmosphere.

In retrospect, I was a bit disappointed in the wine service. We asked for suggestions to go with our food and the sommelier recommended two half bottles - one for the first course and one for the main. We didn't question him and charged ahead - probably our mistake. The first bottle was perfect and a bargain at $35. The second was really not particularly good - though expensive at $55 for a half bottle. And, later, when I asked about the winery the sommelier said with a bit of a smirk "it's a made up one." We should have stuck with the first or simply ordered single glasses for each course. We are hardly wine experts but aren't complete novices either - but I didn't think I needed to question the advice of a Napa Valley sommelier at a Michelin-starred restaurant.