“Food was outstanding” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Redd is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 22 Restaurants in Yountville
Cuisines: Californian
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Food was outstanding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We went to Redd to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary last week. The food was amazing (though in retrospect we should have splurged on the tasting menu with wine pairing). I had a savory, silky chestnut soup to start followed by the shortrib special served with gnocchi and root vegetables. The main course was quite possibly one of the best things I have ever eaten. My husband had the duck confit salad which he said is hands-down the best salad he's ever had. For his entree he had the pork tenderloin which was very good as well. Our server was helpful and attentive and our water glasses were never even close to empty. We didn't have room for dessert - though it looked delicious - but did receive a nice sweet taste with the check.

We had drinks at the bar beforehand - it was a bit dark, but had a cool atmosphere.

In retrospect, I was a bit disappointed in the wine service. We asked for suggestions to go with our food and the sommelier recommended two half bottles - one for the first course and one for the main. We didn't question him and charged ahead - probably our mistake. The first bottle was perfect and a bargain at $35. The second was really not particularly good - though expensive at $55 for a half bottle. And, later, when I asked about the winery the sommelier said with a bit of a smirk "it's a made up one." We should have stuck with the first or simply ordered single glasses for each course. We are hardly wine experts but aren't complete novices either - but I didn't think I needed to question the advice of a Napa Valley sommelier at a Michelin-starred restaurant.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Dallas, Texas
“REDD Hostess - FAIL...REDD - Food and Waiter - Excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I just love it when very young hosts or hostesses treat you like your business is really irrelevant or not important. REDD was recommended by several friends in the valley. So since we didn't have a reservation, being the experienced diners that we are, we went early. Based upon the fact that we did not have a reservation, even though virtually every table was open, she would not seat us in the dining area. We told her we would eat quickly so as not to disrupt their orderly flow of patrons. What do you think . . . nope. Eat at the bar or wait two and a half hours. So we sat outside under a heat strip - all in all it was very pleasant (was not offered as an option by "Miss Priss"). Service was excellent - once we were seated. Food was very good. No complaints. Would go back. Oh, when we left - tables were still open. I just don't understand how a 20 year old can develop such a snotty attitude - especially when her job depends upon people like us coming to their restaurant. If I owned the place, I believe that I would train them to be a bit more hospitable.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“A little overrated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We went to Redd as part of our first wedding anniversary weekend. It was a lovely meal, delicious food etc but not convinced of the Michelin star status. The ambience of the restaurant seemed to be missing something....lighting was too strong for the time of year and temperature was hot and cold so cardigan was on and off which was a distraction. Food was wonderful, server good if a little formal and wine delicious. Very good but......is what we left with.

CT
“Overrated!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Everyone talks up Redd in Yountville so we had to try it. We made a reservation prior to our arrival in Yountville as we heard how hard it was to get a reservation. I was not impressed from the minute we arrived and the six of us barely got a "hello" from the hostess and who ever else was hanging out at the hostess stand with her.

The interior of the restaurant was not exciting. It was actually kind of "blah." We had to switch around seats at our table several times as hot blowers were on top of us.

I could not believe how poor the service was from the time we were seated until we left. The restaurant was not even crowded. We had to ask the waiter for everything!! He even volunteered "reader" glasses to see the menu (as some of us forgot ours) which we thought was nice but then we had to remind him three times to bring them! We had to ask for bread. We had to ask for the waiter to take our drink order after being seated for too long a time with out any attention. The rest of the group thought their meal was really delicious and enjoyed the food very much. My steak was just ok. Nothing over the top. This restaurant was my least favorite out of the five we went to in Yountville and it was by far the most expensive. Maybe I would have enjoyed my meal more if the service had been better. Once we ordered our food the waiter never even came over to check on us. We had to flag him down several times for things.

When chit chatting with different locals in town regarding restaurants the reaction from them was always "overrated" thus the title of this review!

Visited September 2012
San Francisco, California
“Great food; a little stiff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is definitely a restaurant I would recommend to any of my foodie friends. The dishes were all great balancing acts of flavors. For me, the place lacked warmth, both in ambiance and service. Do't get me wrong, the servers were very professional; they just seemed a bit stand-offish to me. The perfect place for a business dinner, or maybe to take your in-laws; less suitable for a romantic dinner.

Visited October 2012