“A little overrated” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Redd is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 22 Restaurants in Yountville
Cuisines: Californian
Dining style: Casual Elegant
“A little overrated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We went to Redd as part of our first wedding anniversary weekend. It was a lovely meal, delicious food etc but not convinced of the Michelin star status. The ambience of the restaurant seemed to be missing something....lighting was too strong for the time of year and temperature was hot and cold so cardigan was on and off which was a distraction. Food was wonderful, server good if a little formal and wine delicious. Very good but......is what we left with.

CT
“Overrated!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Everyone talks up Redd in Yountville so we had to try it. We made a reservation prior to our arrival in Yountville as we heard how hard it was to get a reservation. I was not impressed from the minute we arrived and the six of us barely got a "hello" from the hostess and who ever else was hanging out at the hostess stand with her.

The interior of the restaurant was not exciting. It was actually kind of "blah." We had to switch around seats at our table several times as hot blowers were on top of us.

I could not believe how poor the service was from the time we were seated until we left. The restaurant was not even crowded. We had to ask the waiter for everything!! He even volunteered "reader" glasses to see the menu (as some of us forgot ours) which we thought was nice but then we had to remind him three times to bring them! We had to ask for bread. We had to ask for the waiter to take our drink order after being seated for too long a time with out any attention. The rest of the group thought their meal was really delicious and enjoyed the food very much. My steak was just ok. Nothing over the top. This restaurant was my least favorite out of the five we went to in Yountville and it was by far the most expensive. Maybe I would have enjoyed my meal more if the service had been better. Once we ordered our food the waiter never even came over to check on us. We had to flag him down several times for things.

When chit chatting with different locals in town regarding restaurants the reaction from them was always "overrated" thus the title of this review!

Visited September 2012
San Francisco, California
“Great food; a little stiff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is definitely a restaurant I would recommend to any of my foodie friends. The dishes were all great balancing acts of flavors. For me, the place lacked warmth, both in ambiance and service. Do't get me wrong, the servers were very professional; they just seemed a bit stand-offish to me. The perfect place for a business dinner, or maybe to take your in-laws; less suitable for a romantic dinner.

Visited October 2012
Cudjoe Key
“Nice but noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We went for dinner on a Thursday evening and it was crowded and noisy. The decor is quite simple, yet elegant (simple chic)...we started with an ok bottle of wine - wasn't that impressed with their offerings.....would pay corkage fee next time. I ordered the diver scallops and they were perfect. My overall impression of Redd was, .the food was beautifully presented, fresh tasting and flavorful, the wine list was a little too overpriced and overwhelming, the staff was attentive but a little more "stuffy" than other restaurants and desserts were great and FUN...we had toasted Marshmallow dessert. I would go back but with my own wine.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sao Paulo, SP
“Nice lunch under the shade of olive trees”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

On our way from San Francisco to Calistoga, had already planned to stop for a walk at Yountville and/or Santa Helena. Didn´t want to book any restaurant in advance.
Had already read the reviews for Redd and was pleased to find tables available upon our arrival.

First restaurant of chef Richard Reddington, who´s been executive chef of several acclaimed restaurants before, including Auberge du Soleil in Napa.

Loved the place! Elegant, yet casul. Nice courtyard. Delicious food! We tried the brown green salad with warm goat cheese and the caramelized diver scallops with cauliflower purée. Excellent!

As it was lunch time and we were driving, we didn´t have wine. Price was very reasonable.

• Visited September 2012