“Beyond the hype” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The French Laundry is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 22 restaurants in Yountville
Cross street: Creek Street
San Diego, California
“Beyond the hype”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

The French Laundry is everything that people say and more. Just put away how much it's costing you and settle down and enjoy! It's like eating in heaven! We were in the private room this past weekend as we had a group of eight. What fun! The service is superb as you would expect. The staff are friendly and unpretentious. Something other fine dining staff could emulate. The food is always amazing. We did have a few tastings that were not superb but really the overall experience was spot on. Let the very expert sommelier pick out wines for you he knows the food and how to pare it. We loved the wine choices every bit as much as the food. I have been before and will go again.

Visited February 2013

82% Recommend
Chicago, Illinois
“What a memorable experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at the French Laundry and he'll have a hard time topping that on our next one.

The food was absolutely gorgeous and delicious. Each dish was beautifully presented and no ingredient was repeated throughout the many courses. We were seated at a cozy table by the fireplace. The service was warm and hospitable, a nice change from similar restaurants with snooty and stuffy service.

Our menus had been customized for us, wishing us a happy anniversary. We forgot to take them with us when we left so my husband called to ask that they be mailed to us. Not only did they send them, they had them signed by Chef Keller who also wished us a happy anniversary. A very thoughtful and much appreciated touch.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boston, Massachusetts
“An Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We went here for lunch while visiting Napa. Given what we read and the dress code, we were prepared for pretentious waiters and food snobs. We were pleasantly surprised and enjoyed every minute of our meal.

Of course the food was amazing, but more so it was a culinary experience that should be on any foodies bucket list. Our waiter explained every course and how the Chef took even the simplest of local food and created something delicious. At the end, the waiter gave us a list of our meal, a laundry tag with the bottles of wines we drank and small souvenir boxes of shortbread cookies. Be prepared to spend 3 hours and a lot of money to eat here, but it is worth every minute and every penny!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
NRR
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary dinner at the French Laundry. The setting is very romantic, a little inn with small rooms, beams and fireplaces. The tasting menu options were limited (only two), but both had a wide variety of items and tailored one dish to our request.

I was dissapointed that there was no true wine pairing with the courses. We were guided by the somelier to order half bottles, which at the time seemed like a good idea, but given our cocktails & champagne, we had a hard time finishing our last bottle. However, it was a special night and we enjoyed it.

Visited February 2013
Cupertino, California
“Definitely visit this place if you love food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just like the other reviewer, TFL has been on my restaurant bucket list. I finally got lucky with the reservation this month, we celebrate our husband's birthday. We are mid-level foodies, have been to quite a few really good restaurants in the bay area, such as Manresa, Coi,,,to name a few. The food was just as we expected, amazing! We especially enjoyed how they prepared the vegetables in every dish. Service was very attentive. The head waiter in the down-stair dinning room was very knowledgeable about every dish and about food in general. All other waiters were very friendly. I didn't find the service to be pretentious. My husband can't drink a lot of alcohol for medical reason and I am not a big wine drinker, I'd rather leave some room for the food. I told the head waiter we didn't want to order wine. Nobody came to border us about wine after that. I do think that you get more service if you order wine, but that's expected.
I was satisfied with the food and the service we get. We'll be back if we can get another reservation. If you love food, and you are in the area, this place is definitely worth a visit. That is, if you can get a reservation.

• Visited February 2013