“Overpriced, small rooms” 3 of 5 stars
Review of North Block Hotel

Save Saved
You added North Block Hotel to your Saves list
North Block Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6757 Washington Street, Yountville, CA 94559 (Formerly Hotel Luca)   |
Offers & Announcements
Romantic Turndown
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Yountville
San Francisco
“Overpriced, small rooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I was looking forward to our one night stay here based on the reviews from other TA people. I have to say that my experience was quite different from other reviewers. When you charge $395 for a Sunday night stay in January I have fairly high expectations especially when I have stayed at most other Yountville hotel properties.

The king bed ground floor room was quite small (not NY hotel small - but small for this area). There was only one comfy chair so my husband had nowhere to sit but on the bed. If you don't like expresso, you have to get dressed to go to the lobby to get your coffee in a small paper cup. Really? Not enough space for a real coffee maker? No complimentary newspaper at my door? No, get dressed and walk to the lobby.

The hotel features and amenities are almost readable on the faded, single page found in your room if no other guest used the page to express their innermost thoughts as was found in my
room. Finally the ground floor rooms have a small table and 2 chairs outside the door if you are there in nice weather. Unfortunately, they are sitting almost directly on the central walkway so there is no privacy.

On the good side, the staff seems friendly and the beds are comfortable.
Am I being too critical? No. At this price point in this location you can do better.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ty A, General Manager at North Block Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Hi Jill,
Thank you for sharing the feedback on your experience at North Block.
Based on your review, it sounds like you stayed in one of our more intimate Deluxe King guestrooms. On your next visit, you'll find our Deluxe King Fireplace and Premium King guestrooms are much more spacious.
Considering my staff and I are always ready and willing to assist with any request, I am sorry to hear you had to visit the lobby for your morning coffee and newspaper.
In the future, I will be sure we do a better job of communicating our willingness to help.
I hope you have a chance to visit us again soon. Please feel free to reach out to me directly for assistance with room reservations and any special requests.
Best regards,
Ty Accornero

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Half Moon Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We recently stayed at the North Block Hotel and had a wonderful time! Our experience was great from beginning to end. When I booked our room with Kelly I was impressed when asked upon arrival if I would like martini or wine? red or white? in our room. When checking in Megan was extremely helpful and had great attention to detail. Our room was fantastic with an extra large tub, fireplace and balcony, just to name a few. The hotel was gorgeous inside and out with patios for the first floor rooms and a romantic courtyard that looked perfect for a summer evening. During our stay we dined at the hotel's restaurant, Redd Wood, which was equally impressive. All in all our stay was fantastic and I would recommend North Block Hotel to anyone, even if they don't ask :)

Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We live in Sonoma County but wanted a quick getaway to Napa. We couldn't have picked a better hotel! I was a tad concerned that the experience wouldn't live up to the room prices. Nothing to worry about there. The courtyard is beautiful, the rooms are gorgeous and comfortable, the staff is top notch and the restaurant has great food, service and atmosphere. We didn't use the beautiful pool or the workout room but plan to on our next stay. We did enjoy the heated bathroom floors, rainfall showe, comfy bed and in room fireplace. I was floored when we walked in with our service dog in training to find that they had a bed, 2 bowls and even a bag of treats all laid out for him. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Lower rooms work well for dogs
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This place was AMAZING. Don’t let the bed and breakfast tittle fool you. This was an amazing full service hotel with one of the best restaurants at your door step! The location is perfect as your only a few short KM’s away to the vineries, which makes it easier if your tasting and driving.

I stayed there for my girlfriends 30th birthday and there couldn’t have been a better place in all of Napa.

Plus after tasting all day you don’t want to be driving and Yountville has some of the greatest restaurants in the world!

Hope to come back soon!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great! Check out Red Wood for Breakfast
Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here for three nights in a queen courtyard view room on the second floor. The hotel is charming and small with well-appointed rooms reminiscent of a Restoration Hardware catalog. The bed was very comfortable. Free internet and complimentary water bottles in the room were a nice touch. Room also had a mini-fridge with plenty of room for store-bought snacks and drinks, which was convenient. Bathroom was very spacious with a huge soaking tub and great bath producs. The service is terrific, from the front desk to the housekeeping staff. Hotel is a 10-minute walk to Bottega, Bouchon, Redd, and other great restaurants. We would've liked to have tried Redd Wood at the hotel, but our schedule didn't allow for it. This is a great boutique hotel in a wonderfully quaint Napa Valley town.

los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

A wonderful boutique hotel experience. Dog friendly! Fantastic beds, beautiful bathroom, well appointed and decorated. Kudos to the designer. The restaurant next door, Redd Wood had one of the best dinners ever which is saying a lot for this foodie paradise. Thank you to Charles at Redd Wood and Kelly at the hotel for making our stay a place to remember!
Added perks:
free internet
great location

Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed over Christmas, and I am still gushing about how wonderful it was. The property is beautiful, the staff is super friendly and accommodating, and they LOVED our little shih tzu! Our room had heated bathroom floors, a big tub, rain shower head, fireplace, and outdoor space (along with a big closet, doggie bed and bowls, and the most comfortable bed EVER). Even in the winter and rain, the hotel is really stunning - both inside and out. The hot tub was kept heated, so we got to enjoy a few mornings soaking in the rain (which I recommend - it is very relaxing!). We didn't get to enjoy the breakfast, pool, gym, or spa, due to the hectic holiday schedule we had, but would love to try them out next time. Redd Wood is on site, and has amazing pizza and a really good Caesar salad. If pizza isn't your thing, North Block is located within walking distance to a bunch of other great restaurants.
All in all, this is the nicest boutique hotel I've ever stayed at. So much attention has been paid to every detail, that it really stands out as a special property. It's a bit pricey for my normal travel budget, but I would be SO willing to splurge again in the future.
Thanks for making our Christmas magical, North Block Hotel & Staff!

Room Tip: Being a small property, all of the rooms are easily accessed and close to all on site amenities. The...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to North Block Hotel? Share your experiences!