We were a little bit disappointed when we first entered our room at the Bardessono. The rooms are very modern and spacious but at the same time also somewhat stark and austere. The bed room and entrance area are entirely covered in concrete tiles, and the furnishing of the room is sparse and angular. In line with the Bardessono's commitment to the environment, the lighting inside the room is mainly fluorescent and LED, which produces a rather cold ambiance. The fire place is one of these modern gas fire places that consist of a single row of gas jets surrounded by some decorative glass pearls (the whole thing is behind a glass screen, so it doesn't even produce any significant heat).
The bath room is very spacious with shower, jacuzzi, and two separate sinks/vanities. Both the shower and the jacuzzi have large floor-to-ceiling windows that provide you an unobstructed view to the outside. Unfortunately, there are two minor flaws with this design. First of all, there is not really much to see other than your private little garden area that is surrounded by a wooden fence. Second, the unobstructed view may work in both directions if your room is located near the roof-top patio: people on the patio can watch you taking your shower, and you better remember to let the blinds down, unless this kind of experience somehow turns you on.
The hotel is in a very quiet area of Yountville (which, by itself, seems to be a very quiet place to begin with). However, we had some issues with noise sources in our own room. Instead of a mini bar, the rooms at the Bardessono are equipped with dual-temperature wine coolers that you can use to store the loot that you purchased at the local wineries in Napa Valley. The wine cooler is a handy feature for wine aficionados, but on the down-side it is the single most annoying noise-maker in the room. The wine cooler is integrated into the room furniture, and a small whining high-speed fan takes care of removing the excess heat. The fan is about as loud as a cheap desktop PC. Unplugging the cooler and the fan was about the first thing that I did after entering the room, but that might not be an option for those people who actually need to store some wine.
The flat screen TV is equipped with some sort of add-on surround sound unit which makes some low-frequency humming noise even when the TV is off. This was not as bad as the wine cooler but bad enough to prevent us from falling asleep, so we unplugged the TV as well.
Finally, speaking of annoying little noises, the fire place will make loud clanking sounds for about half an hour after you switch it off. Keep that in mind when you are planning to go to bed.
The service at the Bardessono was pretty good without any major problems. The hotel offers free valet parking but unfortunately no self parking (essentially, you pay tips instead of parking fees).
In the end, as always, whether or not you choose to stay at the Bardessono is a matter of personal preferences. If you enjoy an ascetic lifestyle and need a lot of space in your room to stretch out your yoga mat, then the Bardessono is a perfect choice. The same is true if you are environmentally conscious and prefer a hotel that shares those same ideas. However, if you want a cozy place with a warm atmosphere then there are probably other hotels in Napa Valley that would be better suited.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bardessono is a newly defined experience in hospitality that weds “deep green” with luxury, a subtle aesthetic, privacy and graciousness. This 62-room hotel with its 68-seat restaurant and bar, and in-suite spa butler program models hospitality after the enduring expressions of land and family that fostered and sustained the original Bardessono family farmstead. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your Bardessono reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bardessono Hotel Yountville
- Bardessono Yountville, Napa Valley, CA