“exceeded my expectations” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Francisco, California
“exceeded my expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Bardessono. Arriving after driving 400 miles I was exhausted, check-in was quick, friendly and efficient and the best part was the warm greeting and the glass of wine during check in. I was walked to my room by the front desk agent. I haven't had this happen in Yountville or Napa before. What great customer service. The room was top notch and the bed was so comfortable, I don't think I have slept that well in years. Traveling alone for business as a female can be stressful at times. I felt very safe and secure in my room and walking around the property.
The hotel is ideally located to explore Yountville, as there are many shops and things to do within walking distance.
I had a little extra time in the morning, so I booked a spa treatment. This was one of the best spas I have been to in the Napa Valley. The Esthetician was very knowledgable and professional and she used all state of the art equipment on my face. The water placed around the hotel was fabulous as it had cut up apples, oranges, mint and berries in it. I came home and made some for my family.
The General Manager Jim is very passionate about keeping the customer service and quality of Bardessono and it shows. He will go out of his way to make each guest happy, just ask and you won't be sorry.
Don't think twice, just book a room. This place is fab! I travel a lot, so I know.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Cypress section. It was very quiet and on the ground level. I didn't hear anyt...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
JBTYountville_CA, General Manager at Bardessono, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear karigirlfriend,

Wow. What a nice review. Thank you so much. I'm glad you've found your "home" here in Napa Valley. Very few of our guests are alone and/or traveling on business. I'm so glad to learn we took very good care of you.

Please return....soon and often. To quote Tom Bodette (sp.), ...."We'll keep a light on for you".

Warm regards from your friends at Bardessono.

734 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Not prone to overindulge, we usually keep it frugal when traveling. This trip was close to home and was a combination of birthday and new year celebration. From first contact, over the phone, staff was extra helpful. They asked pertinent questions about our stay and where we were from, then somehow used that to personalize our stay and make it even more special.

We were greeted with a glass of wine upon check-in while we were given a quick tour of the grounds. My wife was enthusiastic enjoyed the white wine they served. A few hours later, we asked what it was and were informed that it's a project wine of Robert Mondavi Jr's called "One Hope" which supports charities around the world. Upon returning to our room, a bottle of the wine was waiting on the nightstand with a nice note from guest services.

A quick walk around Yountville convinced us that most businesses really do shut down the first week of January around here. Luckily Bouchon Bakery at least was open and we loaded up on pastries...

Since our first two choices of restaurant were closed for annual cleaning, we "settled" for Lucy, the restaurant on the Bardessono grounds. I'm embarrassed that I though Lucy's would be a run-of-the-mill hotel restaurant. We were greeted warmly, wait-staff (Eddie) was attentive and knowledgeable. He could basically explain how to make each dish, he could describe the differences between game birds and the wines that worked with each dish. When I ordered a glass of pinot I recognized on the menu, he brought out a small glass, along with a glass of cabernet franc, which he suggested I try because it was unique and went well with the dish I'd ordered. I was impressed and chose the cab franc. We each only ordered a single dish, but the chef sent out extra dishes with his compliments. Maybe it was a slow night, maybe the chef was trying out some new recipes on us, but it was like the food just kept coming out. And each dish was amazing. After having previously been let down and a little disappointed at more than one of the big name restaurants in Napa Valley in the past, I was impressed to have such a well rounded and beautifully presented meal in a quiet place tucked in to the Bardessono. A well laid cheese service was icing on the cake.

And nothing about the room yet! It was outstanding. A little chilly when we first walked in, but I understand they are environmentally conscious and the heat was turned on right after we arrived. Besides, who needs a warm room when there's a steam shower and huge jetted tub? The environment was nice, but there was a strange feeling of a lack of privacy, with the tub facing a wood-walled patio. Lots of little holes in the wood walls made it so we felt obligated to close the blinds when in the bath. Not a big deal -- someone had stuffed a few of the holes with leaves!

The bar at Lucy's was nice -- we had a couple drinks while waiting for our table. The bartender, Brian, knew his stuff as well. The selection of whiskeys was impressive, although I think they could increase their Irish whiskey representatives!

The gas fireplace was a nice touch, especially considering it was 27 degrees in the morning! Got up at 7am and went upstairs to the rooftop pool. The water was around 80 degrees and a quick swim was pleasant with the hot tub and fresh towels already laid out. Peets coffee and awesome croissants in the bar made the morning easy.

Everything about the stay, even up to checking out, was special. It was almost creepy (almost) how staff knew your name, said happy birthday, or just somehow went out of their way to make our visit special.

I don't know if I've ever given a 5 star rating to anything on tripadvisor, but this place deserves 6 or 7. We look forward to coming back again and again.

Room Tip: All rooms are great. Base rooms are fantastic and there would be no reason to upgrade unless you wa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear bsar66,

We can't thank you enough for this glowing review, and for staying with us. I'm so glad to learn we served you well. Our mantra is 'personal luxury' - going above and beyond what other luxury hotels do for their guests.

We hope we'll have the opportunity to serve you again. Santa Rosa is not that far away......

All best wishes.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed at Bardessono December 9th for a few nights and it was a perfect place to lay your head down after a day in Napa. The small touches and the professional, courteous staff make the stay feel more like a B and B than a 90+ room hotel. The location to the best eateries in Yountville, the fire pit out back and the fresh, free pastry and coffee in the morning we just added pluses to the large, spacious, quite room. Would definitely stay here again.

Dear Michael B.

Thanks so much for staying with us and this complimentary review. One minor correction - we only have 62 rooms and suites total, enabling a much higher level of personal service here than our larger counterparts like Ritz and Four Seasons.

Please come back......soon and often.

It was our pleadure to have served you.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed here after reading its mention in the New York Times' most recent "36 Hours in Napa" article and was not disappointed. The hotel does a lot of little things that add up - wine and water during check in, all staff address us by name, unsolicited offerings to assist with reservations, filtered water in rooms. Plus free Internet, free bikes, free valet parking, free rides with their car service (the hotel even came to pick us up after one of our bikes broke down miles away). I'm not sure why other hotels haven't realized this yet and presumably this is all just priced into the room rate, but guests paying $$$$$ a night find it extremely offputting to get nickle and dimed on this sort of stuff.

And the hotel also gets nearly all of the big things right. The service, from the valets to the concierge, is shockingly good for an American hotel. Huge bathrooms with double sinks, large terraces, comfortable beds, soft towels, fire place, well-lit rooms -- there's pretty much nothing to find fault with in the room. It's also nice to see how passionate the GM is about his hotel. I hate to complain and almost never do -- he followed up with us after our stay by email after I completed a survey and immediately addressed my one minor issue with the hotel: unfortunately, the hotel restaurant is pretty average, which is surprising given the quality of the hotel and that fact that it's Yountville. Otherwise a top-tier hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
JBTYountville_CA, General Manager at Bardessono, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Thatsnotscholarship,

Thank you for staying with us and posting this review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and we deeply appreciate your kind words about our passion to serve our guests to the best of our ability. And, yes, we feel strongly about not "nickel and diming" our guests. Our price points are high, and in order to keep our value proposition high, we need to bundle amenities and activities into our room rates.

I'm sorry, though, that our restaurant was not to your liking. We're proud of our food and beverage program throughout the hotel, but readily acknowledge that not everybody enjoys our style and menu offerings.

Should you return, pleasde give us a second chance to impress you in Lucy, our restaurant.

Warm regards from your friends at Bardessono.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My fiancee and I just had a wonderful Christmas break at Bardessono. Arriving on Christmas Eve, check-in was quick, friendly and efficient and we were able to book an in-suite massage for Christmas morning before having a stroll around the small but perfectly formed town of Yountville. Its main claim to fame seems to be the many top quality restaurants and the concierge had booked us a table for dinner at Bottega, where we had an excellent meal and a bottle of cabernet sauvignon from the nearby Ehlers winery.
The hotel is ideally located to explore Yountville on foot and the rest of Napa Valley by car, which we did on Christmas Day after our massages. The hotel bar and restaurant are welcoming and we had a marvellous dinner at the latter in the evening.
Our suite was beautiful, as is the property itself. All the staff were superb, all in all Bardessono is well worth its high rating and I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JBTYountville_CA, General Manager at Bardessono, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear RogerE7950,

We're so glad you and your fiancee could join us for the holidays. Thank you. And thank you for this nice review you posted.

We do hope we might become part of an annual Christmas tradition for you both.

Warm regards form your friends at Bardessono, and Happy New Year.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Napa doesn't have the best reputation in the snobbery department and you certainly expect a bit of pretension in the town of Thomas Keller. But the geniuses at Bardessono didn't get the memo. They are genuine and each seems on a personal mission to shock you with outstanding service.

Never have we experienced a hotel that did everything right. Our first taste of the hotel was a team of energetic, smiling, young valets, working tirelessly in the pouring rain, reminding us that the valet service was free and available 24/7. Check-in was seamless with a full, personal tour of the facilities that ended in our toasty and enormous room. Wood in the bathroom, tile in the bedroom, and a ton of glass would normally be bad news in the wintertime, but state-of-the-art eco-friendly heating means Bardessono seemingly never gets cold. Both shower and bath are luxurious, the bed is a high-quality cocoon, and they even leave a personal dog bed by the fireplace for your pooch (“dog-friendly and five-star” is no longer oxymoronic…).

As beautiful as the hotel is and as fabulous the little perks, nothing can match the staff. Forever discrete but watchful, they ensure they know what you need before you even think to ask. Case in point: it was a rainy, windy weekend, and an afternoon storm had soaked the courtyard furniture. As we considered braving it anyway for the courtyard view and outdoor fire feature, the barman popped out to turn on hidden heat lamps and the front desk concierge, apparently having glanced through the lobby window, arrived with two fresh towels to make the seating more pleasant. Within sixty seconds we were comfortable and perusing the playful cocktail menu.

The cleaning team is superhuman and no speck or stain could be found anywhere in the hotel. They also use motion sensors to determine if your room is occupied before they head out to tidy up, meaning no awkward entryway interactions, and they smile hello when you pass them on their way to scour another room to perfection.

Other pros: Was there anything we missed? The chic yet unaffected décor? The oft-used vegetable garden on the grounds? The prime downtown Yountville location?

Other cons: Like we said above, Bardessono is doing it all right. The television is placed a bit high, but who’s watching TV when you have an in-room fireplace? The windows are reflective during the day and the night blinds raise automatically when you open the front door, which can lead to an evening scramble to close them again before the world gets a glimpse. These are petty complaints and in no way diminished our stay.

Verdict: When your management team is passionate and your staff recognize their essential role in the guest experience, anything is possible. Even eco-friendly, dog-friendly, five-star, affordable luxury.

Dear destroubadours,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for such a glowing review. You highlighted for that of which we are most proud - our staff and the service they deliver. Friendly, unobtrusive, anticipatory, discreet, and sincere are the words I use to describe our team here and they way they serve our guests.

Please return soon and often. It was our pleasure to serve you.

Warm regards and Happy New Year.

Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We have stayed at Bardessono many times over the last 3 years and have never been disappointed. The rooms are lovely and well planned out. The property is so beautiful with many fountains and water features. The service is always impeccable, from front desk to valets. We highly recommend getting a massage in your room. The restaurant is also fantastic.

Room Tip: all of the rooms are wonderful!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JBTYountville_CA, General Manager at Bardessono, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Gary P.,

Thank you for staying with us on multiple occasions. We really appreciate your support, loyalty, and friendship. And thank you for this nice review. It's so gratifying to be called consistent in our service delivery.

We look forward to your next visit.

Best wishes from your friends at Bardessono.

Jim

Been to Bardessono? Share your experiences!