“A gem in Yountville” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 7 Yountville B&B and Inns
pleasant hill
“A gem in Yountville”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We loved our stay at the railway inn! The rooms are spacious, clean, and very quiet. The location is perfect. We parked the car and walked from place to place. The price is affordable and worth the cost. We will return and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I would love to give this place a 4 or 5. It is quaint, perfect location, spacious, somewhat clean and loved the little fridge and wine glasses. However, the first day I woke up with a very ichy bite on my elbow, and then the next day 2 on my back. I won't go into detail about these bites, but they definetly happenend while I was sleeping. I would recommend they clean better and/or bring in an exterimnator. I didn't see any bugs, they could had been spider bites...but FYI.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

It was decent enough and we had a good stay, but when I called to confirm our arrival, as well as when I stopped by to ask about check out, they seemed really annoyed to be talking to me. Another person at the desk gave me a good recommendation for dinner (Pacific Blues)- it was just too bad most of my interaction was with the disgruntled employee. Overall though, the beds were comfortable, the railway idea was cute, and it was reasonably priced compared to other places in the area. Kids love the idea of a railway car so it's great for a family.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
South Pole
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

Great location.

Really more like a motel than an inn: outdoor entrances and few services or amenities.

Water pressure in shower was pitiful.

Good value compared with some of the pricier Yountville places.

Mattress in our unit seemed old and about at the end of it's life cycle.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Stayed here for one night without a reservation, stumbled upon it and liked the idea of the carriage. Very expensive for what it was, Room was freezing as we were very unlucky as it was lashing rain the whole time which made it noisy throughout the night. Also no curtins on the top windows meant that you were up early with the light.

Bed was nice and soft. TV very small.

no one on reception when we arrived at 3pm had to call and then go to the fitness centre to get keys and pay etc.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Cheshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Great carriages,great location,but.Woken up at 6.30am by what sounded like someone jetwashing the door,upon having to get up(it was that loud,similar to a jet engine!) it turned out 4 hot air balloons were being blown up 50 feet away on carpark directly behind carriages,and went on for 30 mins.
When this was mentioned to girl on reception at 10.00am,all I got was "it is kinda cute for photos though",NOT AT 6.30 AM IT ISN'T!
Perhaps a bit of warning next time please.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
InTheory
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

The Railway Inn is certainly very reasonable and has a great location. It's difficult to find places in Yountville where a two night minimum isn't required. However, I think part of the cost savings is due to the lack of staff and antiquated water heating system. Someone called to confirm our reservation, which I appreciated, and they certainly have a lot of signage directing you to pick up your key from the fitness center, so checking in wasn't a problem. The railcar itself was fairly clean, but I felt pretty cold most of the time. We turned on the heat immediately (the air conditoning was on...in February?), and it did an okay job of heating up the room, but didn't quite make it into the bathroom. The real issue I had with was with the dangerously spotty water temperature and pressure. When you're cold to begin with, there's nothing worse than stepping into a warm shower and having the water pressure drop and turn frigid. My husband was shrieking while trying to avoid getting scalded or turning to ice. I got to the point where I wondered if I should take a shower at an off time.

Due to the inconsistent (and sometimes non-existent) water pressure and temperature, I woudn't stay here again. There didn't seem to be any point reporting this to anyone, as the front desk was closed when we left, as well.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Napa Valley Railway Inn? Share your experiences!